Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 31 - Vyse the Legend

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 31 - Vyse the Legend

Today we're flying through the skies in ships powered by moon stones, fighting with and alongside the other denizens of the airways, and competing with the nefarious grip of an evil empire. Relive the Dreamcast's star RPG with us.
    You want your Skies of Arcadia, people.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Rats, I kept putting off recording that "review." I know I can send it in for the next episode, but it just seems kind of silly to have it be on an unrelated episode. . .
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I see the topic title and I'm all like OMG SKIES OF ARCADIA REFERENCE AWESOMESQUEE!

And that's all I need to know.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    We have a winner! No one else send me an answer, the polling place is closed.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I most certainly have to agree with you all about the charm of Skies of Arcadia. While the copy of SoA Legends I had was apparently buggy or something (it sometimes took a long time to load scenes or battles, and I would on multiple occasions get a "An error has occurred" message. This prompted me to save often), I absolutely loved the game, despite its archetypal nature. Actually, seeing as I hadn't played very many RPGs at the time I first played this game (Mainly Pokémon, Paper Mario, Phantasy Star Online, and Phantasy Star 1-3), it didn't feel clichéd at all. This really is a wonderful game.

By the way, am I the only only barked out laughing at the end when a certain someone yells "Zelos is all powerful!" on a subsequent play-through of Skies, mostly after having played Tales of Symphonia? Maybe it was just me. :P

Also, if I may ask Phil a question:

Since that audio review of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World was accidentally mixed together with audio of you guys talking, making it hard to hear it, could I perhaps send it again? or maybe just record a new one on the same game?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

It's a shame Mike didn't finish the postgame dungeons in Chrono Trigger DS, as they were better than the other extras.

Instead of fetch quests they were simple dungeon (with the odd puzzle). Although unfortunately with a mix of old areas reused, as well as the new ones.
    If you have played FFIV Advanced's post-game Lunar Ruins you will have a good idea, except better from being much shorter. (As if it stopped after completed Yang's trial.)

If I were to play through again then I would happily redo this extra, but would skip the arena and fetch-quest village ones.

I loved what I played of Skies of Arcadia, but regrettably never finished it. That was back before I realised that taking a break from a game, meant that I wouldn't find the time to finish it later.
    Before that Gamecube era I used to have more time than I would (good) games, so always used to go back to favourites as I desired.

But on to other things:
    - I still normally think of Fina when I say "Thank you very much".
    - I beat those 4 big ship battle monster straight away, so was pretty annoyed to find out about the extra items with a crew member which I hadn't gotten yet.
    - The base was pretty cool, but I can't remember how I had mine set up now either.
    - That lollipop boomerang was amazing.

Looking forward to trying this out. I just picked up a used GC copy at my local GameStop for $16. Woot.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Sarah has the cutest voice ever.