Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Cross Coming to PSN

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar

Chrono Cross Coming to PSN

Through the depths of time, Serge is coming to host his adventure on the current generation of consoles. Prepare for another confusing experience through parallel worlds.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2010/121610a.html
    Last edited by Rosestorm; 12-16-2010 at 07:04 AM.

This is truly one of my all-time favorites. That video brought back memories... And the OST is just divine. Time's Scar FTW.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

An Open Letter to Chrono Cross

Oh, Chrono Cross. How close you were to being one of the best games ever! Your soundtrack is untouchable, let's get that out of the way. I mean seriously that is some gorgeous music. "Radical Dreamers," "Life," "Scars of Time," "Another World"... best video game soundtrack of all time. OF ALL TIME. Except for the battle music.

Speaking of battles, what's up with your battle system? Why is it so dull? Why do all of the characters play exactly the same? Why do you have to re-allocate elements so often? Why even bother with elements? What happened to double and triple techs and y'know, character specific attacks?

Speaking of characters, what the hell dude. Why are there more than 40+ characters in this game. You're not Suikoden. You're a Chrono game. Why are you trying to be Suikoden? It doesn't make sense and it dilutes the plot dramatically. In the grand scheme of things only 8 or so of them are important, so why not just have 8 playable characters and work them into the plot?

Speaking of your plot... okay, the plot is ridiculous. Spoilers:"Dragon Gods," "Project Kid", Chronopolis, the Frozen Flame, F.A.T.E., The Masamune going crazy after killing tons of people.... Bro, you lost me. There's a ton of truly great ideas here, but if your audience is so bewildered while playing the game, their emotional impact is going to be lost. It's too much to process in TWO playthroughs, let alone one. Sure, I get it after re-reading your wikipedia page a couple times, but it still doesn't make much sense, especially if you come at it as a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Speaking of Chrono Trigger, while it's cool that you use some musical themes from the prior game, and it's cool that you sort of SPOILERS provide resolution to the whole Schala thing, what's the deal with turning the main characters into like creepy ghost children? And oh yeah, turning Robo into a computer program that essentially gets overwritten by F.A.T.E.? And turning an amnesiac Magus from another world into a parlor trick magician. And killing Lucca and burning down her orphanage? Did that happen? Not cool, bro! Again, I was so confused by most of it I don't really know if all that stuff is true or not. Stop being cruel to characters people love!

So yeah, CC, bro, I love you but you should've been soooo much better. Let's take the playable character number to 8 or so, make them all important to the story and FIX THAT BATTLE SYSTEM. Do that and I think the plot would be easier to take and understand.

sincerely,
    miyosaka
    Last edited by Miyosaka; 12-16-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarity
    thanks for reading

..So... this has been confirmed for NA? Because it was JP-only last I checked.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Hmm, the source article confused the issue a bit by including box art of the US release, but looks like it's only confirmed in Japan so far. I'll edit things to make that more clear.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Miyosaka View Post
    Oh, Chrono Cross. How close you were to being one of the best games ever! Your soundtrack is untouchable, let's get that out of the way. I mean seriously that is some gorgeous music. "Radical Dreamers," "Life," "Scars of Time," "Another World"... best video game soundtrack of all time. OF ALL TIME. Except for the battle music.
    Gale really is quite... different. The recording by the WDR Rundfunkorchester Köln is interesting in that it almost had an Arab flair. Check out Symphonic Fantasies: Music from Square Enix. The Chrono fantasy is simply mind-blowing, particularly that part where Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross ~Scars of Time~ are superimposed perfectly, as if the two pieces were made for each other. Another section features To Far Away Times being played over Prisoners of Fate. Yes, I love polyphony and counterpoint.

Speaking of battles, what's up with your battle system? Why is it so dull? Why do all of the characters play exactly the same? Why do you have to re-allocate elements so often? Why even bother with elements? What happened to double and triple techs and y'know, character specific attacks?
    Element allocation was tedious at first, but subsequent ones weren't so bad. I just placed an innate element in the highest available slot, and then worked backwards through the levels, passing through all elemental colors. Then, upon the appearance of a new slot, I just nudged them around a little.

I share your sentiments about the techs. This ties in with your views about the number of characters. If only they had used a smaller number of characters, then they wouldn't have had the daunting task of coming up with 946 double techs and 13,244 triple techs. With, say, eight characters, they'd only have to come up with 28 double techs and 56 triple techs. The end result of choosing the Suikoden path? Eleven combination attacks, some utilizing characters who are so weak individually that you wouldn't bother putting them into the party just to execute the tech.

Speaking of your plot... okay, the plot is ridiculous. Spoilers:"Dragon Gods," "Project Kid", Chronopolis, the Frozen Flame, F.A.T.E., The Masamune going crazy after killing tons of people.... Bro, you lost me. There's a ton of truly great ideas here, but if your audience is so bewildered while playing the game, their emotional impact is going to be lost. It's too much to process in TWO playthroughs, let alone one. Sure, I get it after re-reading your wikipedia page a couple times, but it still doesn't make much sense, especially if you come at it as a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
    This, I'd have to disagree with. I loved Chrono Cross's plot. Yes, it's convoluted and it's certainly not for everybody, but it's quite well-done. I'd prefer a plot like this over a straightforward "I'll get my revenge and then the story's done when I kill them all" plot any day. Should a game maker dumb down his vision for the sake of relatively slow-thinking players? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your view about the gaming industry's entire reason for existence. In an artist's perspective, that is out of the question. It'd be like demanding Beethoven to revise his Große Fuge because listeners simply could not grasp its transcendental beauty. In a businessman's perspective, that'd be a definite "yes."

P.S. I'm not trying to sound snotty or anything. It actually took me a while to understand everything, so I'm essentially part of the "slow-thinking player" subset.
    Last edited by Fermat's Last Theorem; 12-16-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Cross's plot isn't terrible. Watch some Dr. Who and see what sort of bad stuff can happen when you start mucking with the time stream. It's not pretty folks.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat's Last Theorem View Post
    This, I'd have to disagree with. I loved Chrono Cross's plot. Yes, it's convoluted and it's certainly not for everybody, but it's quite well-done. I'd prefer a plot like this over a straightforward "I'll get my revenge and then the story's done when I kill them all" plot any day.
    CC's plot is complex, but that doesn't make it good. I think what a lot of people have against it is that it's very disrespectful to the plot of the original CT. It trivializes the efforts of the main characters, takes joke characters and turn them into serious plot elements, has the original cast do things that are completely uncharacteristic of them, kills certain characters off-screen with barely a mention... I could go on. It's like the author of CC's plot wrote a fanfic where he introduced a bunch of original characters and decided that his new characters were way more interesting and important than the original ones, so he just casually wrote them out. I can't even enjoy CC's plot on its own as a separate entity, because it just doesn't make any sense if you're not familiar with CT.

On top of that CC's cast of playable characters is huge, and they felt the need to try to write scenes so that whatever characters were in your party at the time would contribute to the conversations... which means that most of your characters have flat, generic dialog (aside from the inclusion of whatever accent or personal tic they have to make them "unique") and little development. The large number of bizarre, joke characters didn't help.

And that's pretty much why I didn't like CC. I understood it, I just didn't enjoy it.

I've always said that Chrono Cross was a great game, but not as a sequel to Chrono Trigger. I loved the stamina system, and thought that the element grid was actually a good idea (though it definitely needed a "locking" mechanism to make certain elements stay permanently attached. It's plot was okay (really confusing though, and as people have said, disrespectful to Chrono Trigger), and the soundtrack is, to this day, one of the best.

I just think that they lost out on the concept of "less is more" with the characters. Most of the characters didn't need to exist. I was, at one point, designing sprites for two 16-bit remakes (Demiforce's and an independent one), and in the independent project, we had narrowed the list down to the following characters:
    Serge (white)..............Lynx (black)
    Kid (red) ....................Harle (red) - we changed Harle's element to simply be a mirror of Kid.
    Leena B (blue) ............Leena A (blue) - basically, Leena B is with you until you become Lynx, and then Leena A is the first to recognize Serge for who he is despite the disguise. Leena A stays with you for the rest of the game.
    Magil (black) ..............Guile (white) - Magil is really there for Kid, so he sticks with her but passes his stats on to Guile, who is one of Lynx's minions. When you change back to Serge, Guile leaves and Magil rejoins your team.
    Norris (yellow) - Basically, we needed a yellow innate, and Norris is actually kind of important behind the scenes of the game, especially if you're a Kid-ditcher. He also has potential for real uniqueness. Can be regained after you become Lynx, but requires a side-quest.
    Glenn (green) - How could we NOT include Glenn? Just like Norris, he can be regained after you become Lynx, but it requires a side-quest.
    Dario (black) [completely optional] - a side-quest appears after you gain the Einlanzer and the Mastermune to recover the Masamune of the opposite dimension (I think it's the Home World?). When you give it to Dario, he becomes a party member.

Unfortunately, Demiforce never actually completed his reverse-engineering of the Chrono Trigger Engine, and the project just kind of died.

Quote Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
    I've always said that Chrono Cross was a great game, but not as a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    CC's plot is complex, but that doesn't make it good.
    First off, I wasn't implying that complexity immediately equates to beauty. If it seemed like that and I confused you, I sincerely apologize. Euler's identity is stated so simply, yet it is so beautiful. Chrono Cross's plot was complex and good; well, at least for me. I do respect your opinion, though, and your post actually made me mull over things a bit. Maybe I simply let those details slip because I was too pleased with the general direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    I think what a lot of people have against it is that it's very disrespectful to the plot of the original CT.
    This, I'd have to concede to; hence, my agreement to what BleuVII said above.
    Last edited by Fermat's Last Theorem; 12-17-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
    I just think that they lost out on the concept of "less is more" with the characters. Most of the characters didn't need to exist. I was, at one point, designing sprites for two 16-bit remakes (Demiforce's and an independent one), and in the independent project, we had narrowed the list down to the following characters:
    I don't think I'd like the game as much if the characters were reduced to only those 11. They're not the only ones that had more depth than a piece of artwork with lines of dialogue. In addition the ones you mentioned, I'd keep Fargo, Karsh, Luccia, Radius, Razzly, Riddel and maybe Steena. Oh, and definitely Poshul. Nothing beats a pink talking dog with lisp.

I never minded CC disrespecting CT's story. If a sequel has a good story to tell, it shouldn't be afraid to gut the previous entry in the series. CT's story was fun and all, but other than the Zeal parts of the game (all of which were written by CC's author), I didn't think it was anything special. /Katou fanboy

I think that while many of those characters were important, there's no earthly reason for them to be playable, and therein lies the rub.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    I think that while many of those characters were important, there's no earthly reason for them to be playable, and therein lies the rub.
    Doesn't Suikoden have a huge cast of recruitable characters? Is there a reason for any game to have 50+ possible party members?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Doesn't Suikoden have a huge cast of recruitable characters? Is there a reason for any game to have 50+ possible party members?
    While the Suiko games have huge casts of characters, they handle them very differently from CC. Each game typically has a core set of those characters who are important to the plot, and the game will require you to bring the important ones with you for whatever part of the plot you're on. The typical party size of six characters, though, means that even if you're required to bring a few, there's plenty of space left over for you to bring some others. Not all of the recruitable characters are even playable, technically -- many of them run shops or mini-games in your castle, or they just wander around the halls and talk.

But the important difference here is that the core cast of characters receive a lot of development and dialog, and the secondary characters generally just stay out of the way when plot is going on.

I'd say that Suikoden (I & II particularly) do a pretty great job of having tons of characters that still have personality to them. This is probably do to Suikoden's "sim-city" elements, and the fact that their plots are straight-forward and fast moving. Oh we have to go to the pirate cave? Let's meet new characters. We have to go to the Land of Dragons? New characters. Warriors' Village? New characters. And so on.

Even say for example... Alex and Hilda, the recruitable INN KEEPERS in Suikoden II are more likable and better developed than say, "NeoFio", Korcha, Skully, etc. Obviously it has something to do with CC's characters being just plain weird. Mushroom guy? Mexican wrestler? I mean seriously developers, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING. WHO CARES ABOUT THESE PEOPLE.

I suppose what I mean to say is that since a great deal of character recruitment is tied directly to the main plot, recruitment feels very organic and natural in Suikoden as opposed to CC. Plus, they're just plain... more normal and written better, which makes them relatable.

Regarding the post earlier about what characters should be included, I mostly agree. My dream list was something like Serge/Lynx (W/Black), Kid/Harle (R/Blue), Leena/Sprigg (Blue/Green), Glenn (G), Norris (Y), Karsh (G), Riddel (W) and Grobyc (Black).
    Last edited by Miyosaka; 12-17-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by tootbrush View Post
    I don't think I'd like the game as much if the characters were reduced to only those 11. They're not the only ones that had more depth than a piece of artwork with lines of dialogue. In addition the ones you mentioned, I'd keep Fargo, Karsh, Luccia, Radius, Razzly, Riddel and maybe Steena. Oh, and definitely Poshul. Nothing beats a pink talking dog with lisp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    I agree with Cidolfas completely. All of the Acacia Dragoons would remain in the story, and Riddel would actually be a much MORE prominent character, just not playable. There's also Zappa the blacksmith, Doc, Radius, and Pierre (who ALMOST made it into the cut) who all really contribute to the story, but don't necessarily need to be in your party.

Regarding the post earlier about what characters should be included, I mostly agree. My dream list was something like Serge/Lynx (W/Black), Kid/Harle (R/Blue), Leena/Sprigg (Blue/Green), Glenn (G), Norris (Y), Karsh (G), Riddel (W) and Grobyc (Black).
    All good choices, but I don't think that Grobyc really "fit" with the world of Chrono Cross very well. I personally pushed for Dario to be put in because I saw it as a slap in the face that in the original game, you could recruit any character except the one you actually WANTED to have.

I didn't like Chrono Cross, however it's been a long time since I played it. So if it came to US PSN I would give it another chance.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I had one thing I really wanted from a sequel, resolution to Schala's Story, and that's all ChronoCross was really about. So while it has a lot of flaws, it did the only thing right I needed it to do right.

Spoken my mind on this game before in the other CC thread. Try as I might I have never been able to grasp what people like about the game. Clunky battles, undeveloped characters and I can't even remember what the story was about. Graphics and music are alright.

Agree with Miyosaka. The Suikoden games manage to have even more characters than CC and still make them likeable and interesting.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Yay! Another Chrono Cross hatefest, brought to you in part by the people who should have just played CT again.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!