Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 32 - A Whale of a Tale About the Tail's Tall Tales

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 32 - A Whale of a Tale About the Tail's Tall Tales

Do Tales games and excessively long podcasts go together? If you answered in the affirmative, definitely listen to this episode.
    Here's the goods.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    As I say in the beginning of the show...I apologize profusely for the poor audio quality. I had know idea at recording it sounded that bad.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I actually didn't think the audio quality was all that bad. Noticable yes, but not too detracting.

In any case, thanks for another great Backtrack! I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first Tales BT, admittedly, but that's mainly due to the fact that I've only played one game talked about here. Still, I really enjoyed all the indepth look at each of the games and the usual great banter among all of you. And of course, it made me smile to hear so much postivity on Dawn of the New World, a game I love, but I feel is unfairly treated by about half the fandom. I seriously need play the rest of the bloody series. . .

Speaking of ToS: DotNW, I don't believe Lloyd has changed as much as Adriaan made it out to be. Sure he seems more distant and realistic, however, it was all done he collected the core in secret so that his friends wouldn't potentially get hurt by the cores' ability to drive most people mad. Lloyd is quite protective opf his friends, nearly to the point of stupidity. Also, while it was suggested that Ratatosk's core (by Yuan, I believe) be sealed into the Ginnungagap, Emil thought that it would be unfair to him, and that perhaps he wasn't as angry at humanity as believed. Perhaps he could be convinced not to carry out genocide on all humans and half-elves Sure enough, Emil is likely the kindness and conscience of Ratatosk, not just a created personality. That is Lloyd being his usual "can't we find a way to save everyone?" self. I will give that he seems to have matured a minor bit, and is even a little smarter.

I know The Backtrack encourages spoilers, but this is just the forum thread, after all. :P
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 01-05-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

And, for what its worth, I really enjoyed doing this podcast. As the host, I just move the conversations along, but it was great to hear detailed opinions on these later generation Tales games as it helps me to prioritize which ones in my backlog I should really play. Thanks to everyone who was on!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    You didn't use the Robo+Rick Roll music for the intro. I'm shaking my head in your general direction.

Can't wait to give it a listen, after I finish up another cast. Happy Holidays everyone, looking forward to 2011 in RPGs.
    My Links:

DeviantArt, Twitter

Now you've gotten my hopes up for a Pokemon episode of the Backtrack the week of Black and White's release (March 6).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

And you have my hope up for you doing a Transformer backtract ... I guess that one isn't as likely though.

Before the iPhone I always used to hear "apps" preceded by the work "killer".
    (E.g. You would wait until some killer apps came out for a system, before you buy one.)

I'm not sure if that would be a very apt nickname though.

Dim owl den?

Well, I'm not a liberty to say...but I will say one suggestion on this thread had probably changed our show lineup for the next few months.

Oh, and check out this thread asking for your feedback on Backtrack as a show. We working on some idea to make RPGBacktrack a bit more exciting, focused, lean and mean for 2011, and we need your help to really get it honed to a fine gleam. Thanks!

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Where are all the people who were participating in Tales of 2010? I thought we'd get more comments, but I guess not.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    Where are all the people who were participating in Tales of 2010? I thought we'd get more comments, but I guess not.
    By the looks of it, it's just me so far.

but I will say one suggestion on this thread had probably changed our show lineup for the next few months.
    Ooh, I hope that's what I think it is.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    Afraid I haven't got round to listening to it yet
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Overall I enjoyed this discussion.

JCServant, don't worry about the sound quality. The crackling was most likely due to you being too close to the microphone. I normally have this issue when I record my own stuff. If you have the ability to hard limit the volume, this help resolve the issue. Otherwise perhaps stand back a little further and speak a little softer.

Considering that this is the first sound quality issue since it you took over as host I had no issue with it. If you still have the original audio, and you use Adobe audition, you might be able to reduce the crackling issues.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I love constructive feedback!!

What actually happened here is that, for some weird reason, Skype defaulted to my webcam mic instead of my headset mic, which it has never done before. In Skype, you can prioritize what device it uses in the case that you have multiple plugged in, and I have my Headset on the top of the list. I know the headset was actually on since I was listening to the others through it. I should have suspected something was up when the mute button the headset didn't actually mute my voice to the others. Darn it!

I cleaned it up as much as I could with audacity...but even so, aside from the distortions from the max outs, there's tons of background noises. I totally apologize to everyone, and it's something I'll definitely look out for the in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoske View Post
    Overall I enjoyed this discussion.

JCServant, don't worry about the sound quality. The crackling was most likely due to you being too close to the microphone. I normally have this issue when I record my own stuff. If you have the ability to hard limit the volume, this help resolve the issue. Otherwise perhaps stand back a little further and speak a little softer.

Considering that this is the first sound quality issue since it you took over as host I had no issue with it. If you still have the original audio, and you use Adobe audition, you might be able to reduce the crackling issues.

Oh! That makes sense. Well, if that was the issue, you might want to make a point of muting the microphone in the webcam prior to recording. That way it will prevent such a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoske View Post
    Oh! That makes sense. Well, if that was the issue, you might want to make a point of muting the microphone in the webcam prior to recording. That way it will prevent such a problem
    If I can remember to do that, I'll just remember to check Skype's mic setting manually. Evil settings! First time in 20 recordings or so that it's done that.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    I enjoyed that podcast. Thank you. Now I've learned a lot more about the Tales series.

I heard back in the day that the Tales studio is dangerously close to bankruptcy. Even though there are tons of Tales games, do they not sell well?
    God, I wish they'd hurry up and bring Vesperia to PS3!
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website