Thread: Otoshimono - Japandemonium for January 14th, 2011

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Otoshimono - Japandemonium for January 14th, 2011

Hold on to your valuables, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Yay sammich!

Second Z still has Gundam X. I is happy fan.

As for Wizardry, it still plays just like it did way back when. It's just prettier and with more story. The Japanese have definitely just evolved some aspects of the series, rather than taking it off in a whole new direction. The PSN game plays beautifully, but there is sadly more kanji than I can read.

It certainly seems that the rumors banded around shortly after SRW Z's release that it marked the start of a new Alpha-like series are now fully confirmed with the upcoming release of Z2, especially as it follows the same naming scheme (Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Alpha -> Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z). The Z Special Disk in a way serves as Z's version of Alpha Gaiden.

Working from Z's plot, the final chapter of this series may do for multiple universes what Alpha 3 did for a single galaxy. Here's hoping Banpresto make the awesome strike twice.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

SAdly won't see it in US T_T But here's to you SRW live strong
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Japanese Wizardry games are not a part of the western Wizardry series. They are all dungeon crawlers and generally have deep class and race options that are similar to those in real Wizardry games -- lizardmen and catmen and elves and dwarves and whatnot -- and combat is turn-based, but the similarities largely end there. The storytelling is simple, trite JRPG fluff, and there is no large outside world to explore.

I played Tales of the Forsaken Land, and what stood out about it compared to other JRPGs was that it was unusually dark -- more like Demon's Souls than anything else -- and the race, class, and skill systems were like a mix between D&D and old-school Wizardry. It was a decent game, but I got bored with it toward the end because even with shortcuts it was taking me a long time to make much progress.

Class of Heroes, I believe, also had Wizardry in the title in Japan, or it was implied to be a Wizardry spin-off. We talked about this in the review blog I wrote. It was also a long series of dungeon crawls with a class/race/spell system that was more like an old-school western RPG than a JRPG.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Class of Heroes was a definite homage to the Wizardry style, but it didn't have that word in the Japanese title.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    SAdly won't see it in US T_T But here's to you SRW live strong
    The day a main series SRW game gets licenced and released outside Japan is the day that 1:1 scale Gundam gains sentience and destroys Tokyo.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    The day a main series SRW game gets licenced and released outside Japan is the day that 1:1 scale Gundam gains sentience and destroys Tokyo.
    So, sometime in the next decade and a half?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Class of Heroes was a definite homage to the Wizardry style, but it didn't have that word in the Japanese title.
    Thanks for clarifying. I tried to cheat and look it up online because I wasn't entirely sure. I saw that I'm heavily quoted on its Wikipedia page, but couldn't find an English translation of its Japanese title.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Loving how Black and White have cleared 5 million IN JAPAN.
    Last edited by Shaymin; 01-14-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Epic misifre
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Gurren Laggan and Votoms in an SRW title. sign me up. especially interested in how they represent the Pailsen Files Abnormal Survivor trait into gameplay. ridiculous dodge stat?

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    Gurren Laggan and Votoms in an SRW title. sign me up. especially interested in how they represent the Pailsen Files Abnormal Survivor trait into gameplay. ridiculous dodge stat?
    Means you'll have to import it... and ask me nicely for my PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Means you'll have to import it... and ask me nicely for my PSP.
    I can see this ending well.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    FYI Gaijin, we has a game page for that SRT game here: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/srtaisen/srtz2/srtz2.html It was there before you posted your column~

Really? Wow. Not used to THAT happening...

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    I did that, and you never even suspected. Mwa ha ha ha.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Now I had been thinking that drawing on people's faces was a practical joke when someone is sleeping (Jiggypuff springs to mind here).
    But two different greeting cards have a character with a circle drawn round one eye, which seems a bit of a odd coincidence. So is that due to a new years custom instead?