Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 33 - Peaceful, Productive Planting of Produce

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 33 - Peaceful, Productive Planting of Produce

Death, destruction, and world-threatening crises will not be found within. Relax and enjoy some idyllic farm life while looking for love, content in the knowledge that no one will get hurt.
    Harvest Moon - did Neil Young inspire this series?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Hey! You forgot to list our special guest on the Backtrack page!

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Dear ladies of RPG Backtraack,

Farming is for NPCs. No, seriously. If my main character starts the game on a farm then it damned well better have burned to the ground by the end of the tutorial, leaving my character with nothing to do but go off and do something interesting.

Dear Fowl,

I love you. Leave my damn farming sims alone. They are awesome.

Love,

Nyx

3 hours of Harvest Moon... this will be interesting if nothing else.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    LOL...Y'all are too much. Enjoy this Backtrack. We start mixing things up just a little bit next show

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    Dear ladies of RPG Backtraack,

Farming is for NPCs. No, seriously. If my main character starts the game on a farm then it damned well better have burned to the ground by the end of the tutorial, leaving my character with nothing to do but go off and do something interesting.
    What if someone went and made a Children of the Corn RPG or something like that?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The Harvest Moon backtrack: come for the farming, stay for the slow descent into alcohol and depravity.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    My was this a long one! But I did finally find out which Harvest Moon games I should try first to see if I'll like the series or not: Magical Melody, or Island of Happiness, is that right?

Also, I missed what game(s) the next podcast will focus on. I know we can send an audio review for any game released longer than two years ago, but I would like it to match up with the episode if possible, you know?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    My was this a long one! But I did finally find out which Harvest Moon games I should try first to see if I'll like the series or not: Magical Melody, or Island of Happiness, is that right?

Also, I missed what game(s) the next podcast will focus on. I know we can send an audio review for any game released longer than two years ago, but I would like it to match up with the episode if possible, you know?
    I absolutely do not recommend Island of Happiness because of it's stylus-only controls. I do, however, recommend Sunshine Islands, as it's a far more refined experienced of IoH. Even though we didn't get the chance to talk about it, I'd almost say go with Rune Factory 3, but if you want an HM game, try either Animal Parade (Wii) or if you want one on your DS get Sunshine Islands, or if you still have a GBA slot, try out Friends of Mineral Town. Magical Melody is also good. Just stay away from Island of Happiness (I'll be working on a retro-review of it as soon as finish it).

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post

Our next show, if memory serves correctly, will be about Final Fantasy X and X-2.

Great podcast, thanks for the insight on the HM series. I've never played a single one.
    My Links:

DeviantArt, Twitter

I've only had a go on the SNES game. It seemed a little bit like the Zelda games (without combat), so that might have been the appeal.
    I remember that I was trying to woo the blonde girl in the pub, as it was easy to work through the day and visit the pub at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Our next show, if memory serves correctly, will be about Final Fantasy X and X-2.
    If you need a special guest for that one, I will be happy to join you! I might be one of the few people who liked X a lot

As for the backtrack in total:

I kind of missed the section where you discuss the games that came out 2 years prior, but i am happy to know it is getting it's own podcast.

I'm not sure everyone was up for discussing it for 3 hours. You all seemed a bit punchy after the 2nd hour. I enjoyed that it was long as I listened to it as i consistently got lost in London, but not sure it needed to be that long.

I'm curious why you guys are going to move the skits to the end of the podcast? I feel like it helps set the mood in the beginning, but I guess for those of whom know nothing about the game, they are more likely to get the jokes at the end of the podcast. Is there something you will do in the beginning to set the tone?

I was pleased to have a predominately female panel. I never played Harvest Moon games because I thought they were supposed to be for children. It was interesting to find out that they are apparently marketed towards women.

The podcast made me slightly more interested in the series, but i don't see myself shelling out any $$$ for it. Still at least I wouldn't turn down a free copy now

"whatnot" count was a little higher than it has been in the past, but aside from a stretch where it was said multiple times in a short span, it wasn't bad at all.

Out of your "longer than usual" podcasts I enjoyed this one the most.

Still debating whether or not to listen to this one. I don't like Harvest Moon in the slightest, but I have listened to every other backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Oooh, looking forward to this one. I enjoyed X quitet a lot, and I have very fond memories of X-2. Dare I say, X-2's battle system is my favorite from the entire series.

EDIT: Just finished listening to the podcast. Not gonna be going back and playing any Harvest Moon game anytime soon, but at least I have a better understanding of the series. And the song at the end totally made my day.
    Last edited by King Abdul; 01-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Glad you liked it

Just wanted to add a comment about the first harvest moon, you do go to sleep in the same bed with your wife! And you did upgrade your house too, it was really well done for the first one of the serie!! You got, your field, chicken, Cow, a dog and a horse. was a lot of work to manage it all!

Oh yeah and great backtrack like usual