Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPGamer - 2010 Awards

RPGamer - 2010 Awards

In 2010, we saw some fantastic remakes, some amazing sequels, and some great new IPs. What did we think about them, you ask? You've waited long enough, so we'll tell you now.

RPGamer 2010 Awards
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    FIRST COMMENT.

Dear Fang,

I'm in lesbians with you. That is all.

Love, Nyx

Glad to see Resonance of Fate getting a lot of attention! .
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    I'm honestly surprised Nier didn't get Most Overlooked.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    I'm honestly surprised Nier didn't get Most Overlooked.
    It was close, but we had more vocal RoF fans than we did Nier fans.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyashiro View Post
    Glad to see Resonance of Fate getting a lot of attention! .
    Same, much joy at that.

Also, Dresden Files tabletop rpg? I need to get into tabletop gaming.
    "Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Oh boy! I wasn't as into Resonance of Fate as the rest of you and I would've put DQIX into the "letdown" category for sure, but whatevs.
    thanks for reading

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Not much variety this year.

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Which is weird because I thought there was a large pool of RPGs this year :\
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Banned Banned
    Oh boy, I'm afraid to look. I don't think I'd be able to handle it if P3P beat out the Ys games in the PSP category. Well... I suppose I can take a look...

*checks*

Yeaahhhhhhh, two of my favorite PSP games. And then Valkyria Chronicles 2, but I'm too pleased with the first two to say anything about that. Oh wait, I see there's a re-release category... which P3P won. Man, I wish there was ONE reviewer out there who'd tell me, "HJ, that game sucks. You and I know it, so it doesn't matter if the rest of the world doesn't".
    Last edited by HJ+; 01-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ+ View Post
    Oh boy, I'm afraid to look. I don't think I'd be able to handle it if P3P beat out the Ys games in the PSP category. Well... I suppose I can take a look...

*checks*

Yeaahhhhhhh, two of my favorite PSP games. And then Valkyria Chronicles 2, but I'm too pleased with the first two to say anything about that.
    I think they excluded re-releases from the platform categories but gave them their own category

We did have a lot of variety this year, just not a ton of "look at me I'm so awesome RPGs."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf323 View Post
    I think they excluded re-releases from the platform categories but gave them their own category
    Oh no, I edited too late and now my ignorant pre-edit post has been immortalized by you! But yeah, I noticed that lol.

Glad to see so many nods for NIER in the awards. To be honest, it probably would've won Best Story for me. I can't remember the last time I was enthralled in a narrative from a JRPG, but NIER's well and truly captivated me. Alpha Protocol coming runner-up in the Best Story category was a bit of a surprise. I would've picked its script or voice-acting as highlights. Ah well, I'm just happy both games got nods

That's what's so great about this site. Not many other places would even dream of including NIER or Alpha Protocol on any year-end list.

No surprises about Mass Effect 2's sweep. It IS a bloody amazing game.

Where is Fallout: New Vegas? I would've thought it'd get nominated for something.

I also loved Resonance of Fate, so it was awesome to see it show up on so many top 3 lists. It was my comfort game after the tears of realizing how much FF13 disappointed me stopped. I can't even like that game's battle system, because I barely had to put any thought in it to win.

But now with the biggest awards going to Mass Effect 2, I suppose I should give it a chance. I'm not the biggest recent BioWare fan, which is ironic because the criticism I have of their games mimics the criticism most people levy at JRPGs (using BioWare as their backup) - the games always feel exactly the same with minor changes. Plus, the writing always comes off as a bit pretentious, so it's hard for me to really like the characters.

Anyways, great choices all around, and gives me some new titles to look at when (if) I ever have any free time. But first, I have to finish developing my own game, maybe even for next year's considerations! ;3
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    i'm actually suprised FFXIII was put into the biggest letdown category. i didn't see it as a letdown and really enjoyed it.. though FFXIV getting biggest letdown was no surprise.

i'm also sad that kirby's epic yarn didn't win best non-rpg. *cry*

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    We did have a lot of variety this year, just not a ton of "look at me I'm so awesome RPGs."
    We did have a quite a bit of variety this year, unfortunately only myself and a few other members of the staff actually played the majority of the rpgs this year. It seems most of our staff stuck to the AAA titles which limited the titles they were allowed to vote for.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nergal View Post
    Where is Fallout: New Vegas? I would've thought it'd get nominated for something.
    It gave it nods in story and music for sure and it was my favorite of last year, but I was outnumbered by many.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Banned Banned
    I was kind of surprised not to see one of the Ys games take an award for the music, especially when it got beaten out by Lunar and, um, a Fallout game. I mean, I only played Fallout 3 but did that game even HAVE music? Nier totally deserved the win though.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I disagree with this too. The system awards can't, and didn't, have overlap. Of the 8 catergory awards from Battle System to Overlooked, the 8 winners covered 5 different games. If you're counting all three games mentioned, only 11 of those 24 awards were repeats. That's not much repetition considering games like Mass Effect 2, Nier, and Resonance of Fate were well-played and well-liked titles that could have swept away smaller and less popular ones like Lunar, New Vegas, Cthulhu, FF14, etc. Giving recognition to 13 different RPGs in those 8 awards is more variety than I was expecting. Worst and Letdown had no overlap even though it was possible. All around, I think there was a lot of variety this year.

Regarding New Vegas -- I agree with you Nergal; I think it got the short end of the stick. Apparently not many staff members liked it as much as Mac and I, and when it came to the category awards it tended to get bumped out by other major console releases.
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 01-25-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.