Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famitsu Lists the Best Selling Games in Japan

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Famitsu Lists the Best Selling Games in Japan

From multimillion smash hits to games that just barely qualify as selling well, Famitsu has compiled all the numbers on how your favorite RPGs have sold in Japan over the last year. See it all right here.

82. Xenoblade (Wii) - 141,059

thats really low so it coming state side is looking grim.

But Monster hunter portable 3rd was actually 1st and it only had numbers for 1 month, yes i see Pokemon but that is two separate purchases which makes the count inaccurate, I would like to see the sales split of the two versions though.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post

I dunno, depending on the budget the game had, they may have to localize it to try and make a profit.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Thanks so much for reducing the length of the next JP column -_-;

Pokemon but that is two separate purchases which makes the count inaccurate, I would like to see the sales split of the two versions though.
    The thing is they are essentially the same game, so it makes sense to lump them together. It'd be kind of like making a list of best selling model cars and splitting them up according to paint job.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Seemed like you guys omitted a few entries in the list. However, I can't help but notice that we don't see a home console title until #17.

And Pokemon Black/White will likely sell more than that in a month upon release here.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Blame Mac! He started it at the 6 month mark last year.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

But Monster hunter portable 3rd was actually 1st and it only had numbers for 1 month, yes i see Pokemon but that is two separate purchases which makes the count inaccurate, I would like to see the sales split of the two versions though.
    That really is a blow, Xenoblade is at the top of my most wanted list ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Hey, if you wanted to do it, just say so! Putting all this information together with those links was more of a pain than it was worth!

I'm really starting to doubt the usefulness of pulling all the non RPGs from lists like this. As a fan of RPGs, I want to see how they stack up against the non RPGs. Maybe provide the non RPGs in a faded out fond color sot eh RPGs stat out more. Then add a quick stat pie graph to show how the major genres stack up.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

Quote Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
    I'm really starting to doubt the usefulness of pulling all the non RPGs from lists like this. As a fan of RPGs, I want to see how they stack up against the non RPGs. Maybe provide the non RPGs in a faded out fond color sot eh RPGs stat out more. Then add a quick stat pie graph to show how the major genres stack up.
    It's enough work doing it like it is... :P

More seriously, I don't think you really need to see the other games to see how well the RPGs compare. In this case, it is really the truth that Pokemon Black/White and Monster Hunter Portable 3 slaughtered all of their competition by a pretty wide margin, and it went down from there. All told, RPGs did really well for themselves in 2010, at least in Japan. There is a pretty huge difference between the absolute top-sellers and the average good-selling game, though, with the numbers ranging from just over 100,000 to nearly 5 million across a mere 100 entries.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Hey, if you wanted to do it, just say so! Putting all this information together with those links was more of a pain than it was worth!
    Yeah, except I believe the project was put on the list sometime while I was at work, I didn't check the list in the 20 minutes of internet time I had that evening, and it was up by the time I logged on in the morning.

C'est la vie. Unfortunately, unless this week's Famitsu is both early on the shelves and ridiculously fruitful with the news, I don't think I'll have anything to put in JP anyway.

Good to see that Yakuza 4 (17 o.O) , Tactics Ogre PSP, Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles 2 made it to the list.

I sure hope this trend will convince the developers to continue on some of my most loved series with some new entries in the future.

Not the whole list but COD Black Ops sold 18 million copies

...What? Do you mean 1.8 million? Because I think 18 million is nearly impossible.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    In the world yes, which is completely irrelevant to this. In this list for Japan it sold just under 200,000 coming in at 59th.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    That really is a blow, Xenoblade is at the top of my most wanted list ...
    The situation with Xenoblade's localization is getting a bit funny, but the signs still seem to be positive. The name "Monado: The Beginning of the World" was re-trademarked on December 20th, however, the game was taken off Nintendo's site before that. Also, they have Web domains for Xenoblade as well as The Last Story (both redirect to Nintendo, though). This all may indicate that they are going to formally announce the game as Xenoblade rather than Monado sometime soon.

There's no guarantee this game will be released, of course, but I'm much more positive this game will be localized than, say, Tales of the Abyss 3D.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Does being low on this list actually mean it did poorly though?

After all these are the top selling games, so presumably there were many more games which didn't even make this list and Xenoblade sold better than them.

Also, we already got or are getting some of the games that sold less than it did already.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    The situation with Xenoblade's localization is getting a bit funny, but the signs still seem to be positive. The name "Monado: The Beginning of the World" was re-trademarked on December 20th, however, the game was taken off Nintendo's site before that. Also, they have Web domains for Xenoblade as well as The Last Story (both redirect to Nintendo, though). This all may indicate that they are going to formally announce the game as Xenoblade rather than Monado sometime soon.

There's no guarantee this game will be released, of course, but I'm much more positive this game will be localized than, say, Tales of the Abyss 3D.
    Ah, had not heard about the retrademark. That's a good sign. Unfortunately, with Nintendo, they tend to keep release dates so quiet that you literally never know what they're doing until they decide to say something. And if it's a lower tier title like Xenoblade, they probably won't announced the localization until it's literally about to be released.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes