Thread: Who Dat Pokemon? - Round 3

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Who Dat Pokemon? - Round 3

The world's most popular monster-catching franchise is opening up new frontiers for players this spring. Let's take some time and get to know just what we'll be catching in the land of Unova.

Round 3 - Monmen & Churine

kafluffle and badulba

Banned Banned

I like Tuliette for Churine. Also, I like Churine. I've had one on my team since I was first able to have it. What would the evolution be?

As for Monmen, I like Ocelot's "Poofle." Nothing else quite seems to fit.

Anyway, the link on the main site brings you to the forums, but the link in the article itself brings you to the forums for Round 2. You might want to fix that.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I am terrible at naming things... but I want that puffy one on my team. It looks adorkable.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    As a note, Liliadam comes from combining the Liliaceae family, of which tulips are a member, with Amsterdam. Gotta give a shoutout to my Dutch homies. Word up, Nederlands!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I rather like Ocelot's "Liliadam" for Churine, especially now that you've explained the origins behind it. Pretty clever. As for Monmen, I got a kick out of Sabin's "Stuffywhats." XD
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
    I like Tuliette for Churine. Also, I like Churine. I've had one on my team since I was first able to have it. What would the evolution be?

As for Monmen, I like Ocelot's "Poofle." Nothing else quite seems to fit.

Anyway, the link on the main site brings you to the forums, but the link in the article itself brings you to the forums for Round 2. You might want to fix that.
    Bleh, knew I'd forgotten something. Fixed.

I think Liliadam would be good for Churine's evolution, Doredia. So, Tuliette --> Liliadam. It could also be considered a takeoff of Lilia, a popular girl's name, and Damsel.

Anyway, behold the power of Doredia. It's SOOOOO strong (at least in the first part of the game).

Last edited by BleuVII; 01-27-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: put image in spoiler quotes

It's not shabby in the endgame, either. I managed to take down an Elite 4 member with just Doredia, Butterfly Dance, Petal Dance, a bit of luck and a whole lot of desperation.

Wheen i get a Monmon, im naming it Woolbur. For Wool, cuz it looks like a sheep, and bur, like Cotton bur. Also it sounds like Wilbur. Anyway, I know It wont be Puffpuff, cuz im pretty sure that has some kind of dirty connotation in Japanese, I think.
    ive got candy

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaddness View Post
    Wheen i get a Monmon, im naming it Woolbur. For Wool, cuz it looks like a sheep, and bur, like Cotton bur. Also it sounds like Wilbur. Anyway, I know It wont be Puffpuff, cuz im pretty sure that has some kind of dirty connotation in Japanese, I think.
    Well, Puffpuff has dirty connotations in the Dragon Quest series, at least.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'm pretty sure the DQ guys invented puff-puff as a blanket euphemism, and it sorta caught on as a meme in Japan.