Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 34 - The Ballroom Blitz

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 34 - The Ballroom Blitz

A strange land called Spira features outlandish Tetsuya Nomura outfits and a propensity for group hallucinations. Take a trip with us through this oddly captivating place and relive one of the PS2's biggest hits.
    Take a wild guess which Final Fantasy this is, and be right.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    We've implemented a number of changes to the show and its format. Tell us what you think! Help shape future shows!!

Just as a show note, I expressed some confusion over how I was able to obtain Ultima off the sphere grid without unlocking the Level-4 locks around it (I went and checked my save file, the locks are still there). I had completly forgotten about Warp Spheres, which work similar to Teleport Spheres but without the restriction of having to have visted the node beforehand.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I didnt think i would miss the skits at the beginning of the show but I kind of did. Also the music segments i felt went a bit long, especially thousand words. Overall a WONDERFUL cast, I think having the PC pit stop and such as its own podcast is an awesome idea, thus more time to talk about the main topic! One of the best this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzmage View Post
    I didnt think i would miss the skits at the beginning of the show but I kind of did. Also the music segments i felt went a bit long, especially thousand words. Overall a WONDERFUL cast, I think having the PC pit stop and such as its own podcast is an awesome idea, thus more time to talk about the main topic! One of the best this time!
    Thanks.... keep those comments coming.

Normally, the music is about 45 secs between segments...I did this one on PURPOSE because I feel EVERYONE should have to suffer the J POP PAIN that I have had to endure for YEARS since my wife DL'd these songs. Enjoy!!

Wow, Phil got the cast members' names right, but screwed up the game title in the intro by calling it X and X-2, not ten and ten-two. Is this the real Phil?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Saying Ten and Ten-Two makes me feel like I'm calling plays in Blitzball. I'ma stick with "Ex-2" at least.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I recall 10 being the first game where I was mad that we didn't get the International version because I wanted to take down Penance.

Also, the hatred for Sphere Break makes me sad because I was actually good at it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Oh good Arceus, not thoes bloody vocal X-2 songs! My sister drove me nuts playing those ad nasuem. And it wasn't just one version of them, oh no. He had the Japanese, English AND "Engrish" (the English version sung by the Japanese singer) versions. Gah!
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Cracking episode everyone. My second favourite backtrack after the FF9 one. I do always enjoy them more when Quin and Macstorm are on. No offense to the other guests (or Quin and Macstorm for that matter) but it's clear Quin's and Macstorm's dictionaries don't contain the word "brevity" - this is a good thing!

I love how they seem to remember even the smallest details, as it makes for a great listen imo. Good stuff

I tend to witter on a bit at times, it's not something that always works in my favour.

For whatever reason, I retain pointless information. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Quin; 01-27-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Typo

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    I tend to witter on a bit at times, it's not something that always works in my favour.

For whatever reason, I retain pointless information. I don't know why.
    Thanks to your "wittering" I'm playing through FF9 again. It's the only one in the series I had only played once, but your enthusiasm and breakdown of the story had me charging up my PSP for the first time in ages

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Macstorm didn't even appear on this episode, so I have no idea why he got a plug. Regardless of what he may say, merely speaking his name does not impart a new level of awesomeness.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    Cracking episode everyone. My second favourite backtrack after the FF9 one. I do always enjoy them more when Quin and Macstorm are on. No offense to the other guests
    Och. And what am I? Chopped liver? Pft. I see how it is!

*sulks in a corner*

Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    Macstorm didn't even appear on this episode, so I have no idea why he got a plug. Regardless of what he may say, merely speaking his name does not impart a new level of awesomeness.
    Well big facepalm right there because I didn't mean macstorm, I was watching his Two World unboxing before I posted here.....oops!

edit: I actually meant you! (I'm frantically checking everyone's names now ) but yeah, meant you.
    Last edited by Retrovertigo; 01-27-2011 at 06:00 PM.

About the podcast:

I like the new format ideas, though I do miss having the skits up at the front. Gets me pumped up to listen to the episode. And I'm considering recording a review for Lost Odyssey... if I ever stop being lazy enough to actually do it.

About X/X-2:

I wonder if I just have much lower standard, because I really enjoyed both X and X-2 a whole lot. Though I am kinda upset that I ended up getting about 99% completion in X-2 because I missed the dude in the moogle suit cowering off to the side in the intro mission of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by King Abdul View Post
    because I missed the dude in the moogle suit cowering off to the side in the intro mission of the game.
    That's actually Yuna hiding there.

/Small details, yes?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Wow, Phil got the cast members' names right, but screwed up the game title in the intro by calling it X and X-2, not ten and ten-two. Is this the real Phil?
    I had a joke all lined up for when he called my "iPhone Apps" again, and was caught off guard when he didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by King Abdul View Post
    I wonder if I just have much lower standard, because I really enjoyed both X and X-2 a whole lot. Though I am kinda upset that I ended up getting about 99% completion in X-2 because I missed the dude in the moogle suit cowering off to the side in the intro mission of the game.
    No way, X is fantastic, especially given how early in the PS2 life it came. It looks as good as most late-life PS2 games.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, you wouldn't be alone in loving X. A lot of people do! I'm not one of them, but that's ok. The great thing about the FF series is that the games are different enough from each other that there's something there for everyone (I'll take IX and XII, thanks).

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    "Well, noodle says he's good looking."
    "noodle's standards are interesting."

Best exchange ever.

Though I'm sure noodle's hugging her Tidus bodypillow and crying right now.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.