Thread: RPGCast - Episode 162: "NGP vs. 3DS"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 162: "NGP vs. 3DS"

RPGCast - Episode 162: "NGP vs. 3DS"

The details of both next generation handhelds are out there. Which will you be getting? We debate the merits of both while trying to figure out other important issues like exactly what Atlus is bringing over to the 360.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/162

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "NGP vs. 3DS"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    First post! WOOT! Oh, and NGP RULEZ! Mwahahahahah!

About Divinity II . . . the news story says that this version is enhanced over the original 360 version. It's the game plus the expansion that came out for the PC, which made numerous improvements to the original game plus new content (like any expansion pack does), so I think the PC already has all of the new stuff Atlus is talking up for the 360.

I own the original game, and started it, but due to various reasons, got sidetracked and haven't gone back to it yet. That said, I liked what I played, so I do intend to finish it and eventually pick up the expansion pack. On the Game of the Year RPGcast, Rosestorm mentioned it as his guilty pleasure game, but said that the dialogue was horrible. I played both Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, and they were humorous games that didn't take themselves too seriously with lots of tongue-in-cheek dialogue. What I've seen of Divinity II (the first 5 hours or so) leads me to believe that it's continuing that tradition, so for now, I'd have to disagree with Rosestorm on the dialogue. The gameplay that I've seen is pretty interesting (and fun). It's basically Diablo-style combat pulled into an over-the-shoulder 3rd-person perspective, which I've really never seen done before in quite this way.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilis View Post
    About Divinity II . . . the news story says that this version is enhanced over the original 360 version. It's the game plus the expansion that came out for the PC, which made numerous improvements to the original game plus new content (like any expansion pack does), so I think the PC already has all of the new stuff Atlus is talking up for the 360.

I own the original game, and started it, but due to various reasons, got sidetracked and haven't gone back to it yet. That said, I liked what I played, so I do intend to finish it and eventually pick up the expansion pack. On the Game of the Year RPGcast, Rosestorm mentioned it as his guilty pleasure game, but said that the dialogue was horrible. I played both Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, and they were humorous games that didn't take themselves too seriously with lots of tongue-in-cheek dialogue. What I've seen of Divinity II (the first 5 hours or so) leads me to believe that it's continuing that tradition, so for now, I'd have to disagree with Rosestorm on the dialogue. The gameplay that I've seen is pretty interesting (and fun). It's basically Diablo-style combat pulled into an over-the-shoulder 3rd-person perspective, which I've really never seen done before in quite this way.
    Your first paragraph is correct. The PC version of Divinity II should have most of the changes that will be making their way to the 360 in the Atlus version, though I believe that the new interface will be unique to the enhanced 360 port (it would make sense to make a unique, improved 360 interface, anyway.)

As for your second paragraph... unfortunately, while there's some tongue-in-cheek stuff and the occasional funny character in Divinity II, much of the game takes itself too seriously. I've only played the original unenhanced version, though, so perhaps they took some time to smarten up the dialog and close some of the massive plot holes. One can only hope.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Your first paragraph is correct. The PC version of Divinity II should have most of the changes that will be making their way to the 360 in the Atlus version, though I believe that the new interface will be unique to the enhanced 360 port (it would make sense to make a unique, improved 360 interface, anyway.)

As for your second paragraph... unfortunately, while there's some tongue-in-cheek stuff and the occasional funny character in Divinity II, much of the game takes itself too seriously. I've only played the original unenhanced version, though, so perhaps they took some time to smarten up the dialog and close some of the massive plot holes. One can only hope.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember reading your review and being disappointed, but having been a big fan of Larian's previous games, I've been planning on playing through the rest of the game anyway at some point.

New Member New Registered User moenki's Avatar
    Poutine is delicious and amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by moenki View Post
    Poutine is delicious and amazing.
    Ha. So there Chris.

I'll probably be getting both portables at some point in the distant or not too distant future, but after a few price drops and redesigns have come along. I'll probably be getting the 3DS first as that one seems like it'll get down to a more manageable price tag first. However, both the DS and PSP will likely keep getting new software for them for some time after the release of their successors and even if the software stops, I can work on my backlog!

I am disappointed that the portables are adding region locking. The great fun of the portables has been being able to import games from other regions, such as the PSP ports of Tales of Eternia and Breath of Fire III or the bug fixed version of Final Fantasy IV on the GBA (The EU version fixed the ATB glitches that gave characters extra turns). Hopefully the publishers will pick up the slack and localize the games people want to see localized.

Recently started listening to your site pod casts and have been enjoying them a lot at work and I figured I'd chime in.

I will purchase both of the new handhelds at some point but if I had to choose either right now it would probably have to be the NGP the battery life issue on the 3DS is pretty atrocious. I know you say that most people sit around the house and play their handhelds but I'm lucky enough to have a job were I can use mine for a decent portion of the day and I don't want to have to worry about only getting a few hours out of it. And even if I were to play at home I hate having to play while being plugged in, I mean I'll do it if I have to but really it just irritates me. Other than that I'm sure that Nintendo is still gonna sweep the youth market once again with the 3DS because it will be the system that gets all of the developers as well as their own exclusives. Not to mention that Sony is going to be hurt again by being late out the gate with their new system. But with the Indie market being a big up and comer and things like iOS and Android skyrocketing I think they have a much better chance this time around then they did before.

Either way I'm looking forward to being broke twice this year and hoping that I'll have some great games and rpgs to warrant my spending.

That being said keep up the good work the show is enjoyable and makes my work day go all the quicker.

NGP > 3DS
    poutine > chili cheese fries

Quote Originally Posted by wfb View Post
    NGP > 3DS
    poutine > chili cheese fries
    That would be because poutine > everything.

I'll definitely be getting a 3DS simply because of gen 6 Pokemon, but I can be convinced to move up with an early Layton and some good JRPG content. NGP... I dunno, I'm half-expecting the point of entry to be in the $450 Canadian range and if it's going to be a Dudebro machine, no thanks. I'd also like to know if they're going to do something for UMD gamers besides telling them to rebuy it on PSN or in an "HD remix" mode (in which case, it can go suck an egg for 3 years or so).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Hero Killer Id View Post
    I will purchase both of the new handhelds at some point but if I had to choose either right now it would probably have to be the NGP the battery life issue on the 3DS is pretty atrocious.
    Do we even know the Battery life for the NGP yet? Rumours were saying it's roughly the same as the 3DS (e.g. 4-5hr normally), which doesn't sound like the system for you.

Hmm, they didn't say which game had Chris friendly-throwing Anna in the lava. (That doesn't sound like their usual WoW play.) I guess they just talk at length about that later in the cast....

Did Chris say you can steal Chocobos in verses? Now you've got me imagining some sort of Grand Theft Chocobo game.

Steel Diver is Nintendo's new IP (e.g. first party), so I wouldn't write it off just yet. And because it's new it is the one I'm most interested in hearing about, after Paper Mario of course.
    I might even recommend it as Chris' second game. But yeah, better to wait for more info first.
    (I've also seen videos of people playing the periscope bits with the touch screen too. So I'm sure that are going to ask you to sit and swivel on your office chair!)

As for Endless Ocean it always sounded like a sim type of game to me, something like Nintendogs, Harvest moon or Animal Crossing.
    So can be fun to play if you do want something relaxing (and goal-less?). But unless you are both already fans of it, then I can't see two player being much fun. What would you do?, explore, show off the nice fish/things you've found and er... apparently throw your friends in the lava!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I definetly agree that poutine is awesome. I tried some last summer when I visited my brother in Montreal.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Great podcast as always! I will be taking among those who will be waiting on either device, seeing as I still have a backlog for both the DS and PSP. So instead of getting even more games, I'll just use this year to work through my current backlog. I do agree with the whole "training" comment though, we have definitely been taught to wait a bit for the better "light" version down the road.

Peace, and keep up the great work.

Ps. That is the first time I've every heard of Poutine. >.<
    My Links:

DeviantArt, Twitter

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Did Chris say you can steal Chocobos in verses? Now you've got me imagining some sort of Grand Theft Chocobo game.
    Now see, there's something I'd play. Though it'd be interesting having to run from the police chocobos. Especially cuz you know the cops are gonna have the black chocobos from FFIV.

Ps. That is the first time I've every heard of Poutine. >.<
    Same here. Not something you'd find down here in Florida. Sounds boss, though, I'd have me some if I could find it.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

About six years ago, a lot of fans were really excited about the PSP. It looked like the first high-end handheld system in years that would have a lot of software support. Now that the PSP is fading fast, I can say that while I like the system, it had some nagging problems, and the software seemed kinda average... often not really suited to portable use.

Not sure what I think about Sony's next portable system yet. It could have quality software, and the pricing structure could be reasonable... Time will tell. Just keep in mind what this worksafe demotivational poster says.

Not especially sold on the 3DS either. I have to budget my money, and if I want to spend $250 on entertainment, there's plenty of other options. If there's announcements of 3DS games that really sound promising, then maybe I'll buy it.

Also, "Dudebro Machine" would be a good name for a band.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, the software lineup for the NGP so far looks suspiciously like the "take a real game and make a lame version of it to toss onto a portable" stuff we've seen a lot of on the DS.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I know that this is an older topic, but I wanted see if anyone else noticed a trend with Sony's handhelds compared to Nintendo's.

[Warning: Video Game Rant]

When I watched the announcement videos for the NGP I noticed that more than half of the games that are being announced are PS3 Ports. My guess is that they are doing this because they are initially boasting it's graphics to be "PS3 like." When the PSP was announced with PS2 like graphics, they were doing the same thing. I have to wonder if Sony's obsession with showing off it's graphical abilities at launch is going to sour up the experience with a slew of games that you've already played on PS3 for years.

Nintendo has always gone by the idea that the hardcore graphics are not what entices a portable gamer, but the unique game play of the game itself. By not having the graphics to rely on, they are almost forced to focus on this concept. The games are made to be unique and fun because they certainly can't fall back on their visuals. I feel that eventually, people (like myself because I am getting one) are going to ask themselves why they either own a PS3 if they are always out, or why they have a NGP if they are always around the house. Making a clone of your home console and calling it next gen innovation seems redundant, even if it's portable with a touch screen and touch pad. I'm not trying to hate on the NGP, but instead just stating that I would like to see Sony get past the whole graphics fixation and stop making it seem like a giant tech demo; instead of something that could have really unique titles. I was absolutely shocked when I saw a video of Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the NGP with the title: METAL GEAR SOLID [WORKING TITLE]. Who are you trying to kid?! When the PS2 came out, we saw the birth of Zone of the enders, Devil May Cry and a lot more unique and new IPs and the same went for the PS3. Why can't Sony treat this like a new system instead of merely an extension of the PS3. I'm sure they will catch onto this in the future, but right now the way Sony is handling the NGP is a bit of a turn off. As a gamer though, it wont stop me from getting it, but I really hope they get their act together faster than the second or third year like it seemed like for the PSP.

P.S. I'm not saying that the 3DS isn't guilty of bringing console games over to it. The fact that the 100th (little bit of a stretch, but barely <_<) port of Ocarina of time is one of the launch titles made me ask, "Really?" out loud. The nice thing is though that their Resident Evil game being released is not a port, but a completely new title in the series. They are porting games, which I am sure is inevitable, but there are unique or just new titles coming out which is exciting. My gripe with the 3DS though is once I get past the whole 3D aspect of things, isn't it just literally another version of the DS?

Either way though, I'm very excited to get my hands on both!

Anyone else noticed this trend? (sorry for the rant'ish type post, but it was bugging me)