Thread: Ar tonelico Qoga ~Knell of Ar Ciel~ - Interview

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Ar tonelico Qoga ~Knell of Ar Ciel~ - Interview

Gust and NIS America are at it again, and we've got the scoop on all things Ar tonelico Qoga ~Knell of Ar Ciel~. Sing a hymn, as this finale is going to be of epic proportions.

Sing! Sing! Sing!

Well, given the explanation of the title, I'm feeling better about it not simply being called Ar Tonelico III.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

already pre-ordered the calender edition, in NIS =p
    --I apologize for the crappy english, still learning

I may preorder the calendar edition soon. Only thing I really didn't like much about Ar Tonelico 2 was the battle system so I'm glad to see that change.

Holy crap, 23 gigs?

I am still very concerned about both the quality and the completeness of the English Translation after what happened in AT2... Without spoiling the story, there were a good number mis-translation in the main story when we explore the depth of the Reyvateil's mind (such as incorrect reference). I was almost willing to let that slide since something are bound to be lost in translation... but the side story script on a certain Reyvateil's cosmosphere was completely illegible - the kind of results you would get if you use google/babelfish to translate a paragraph.

For more details, please check the fan initiated re-translation project at http://www.at2.metalbat.com/ run by Aquagon [There will be some spoiler on website].

As a result, I am still debating if I should wait and see rather than rushing off to pre-order. The biggest thing going for it right now is my nostalgic memories with Aurica/Shurelia/Misha X Lyner ;p

This interview is disappointing. The interviewer failed to ask what is arguably the most critical inquiry regarding the game's English version:

Do the Reyvateil's still sound like they're having sex when they sing?

Quote Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
    This interview is disappointing. The interviewer failed to ask what is arguably the most critical inquiry regarding the game's English version:

You could download or purchase the CD and find out. I have both red and blue side for this but I never got the impression of sex on singing before.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Unlike the previous Ar tonelico games that were rated Teen by the ESRB, Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel was rated Mature. Are you surprised by this rating and does it worry you? Or is this a GOOD thing?
    SC: We actually weren't surprised that this time around we got the Mature rating. With the graphical improvements of the PS3, it was inevitable, especially with some of the visuals that this game has, hehehe. Looking back at Ar tonelico 1 and 2, we should have probably gotten the same rating for them. We're not worried in the least about the rating, as the small amount of visuals that qualify the game for an M rating do not overshadow or change the same feel that you should get when you play an Ar tonelico game. You'll still get an awesome 23gigs of story and depth. We can definitely confirm that the improved graphics are a GOOD thing *wink*.
    I have to disagree with Steven Carlton on why the game is M rated this time around. While AT2 was translated much more lewd than it was in Japanese (especially the voice over), it does not involve any striptease. And AT1 is pretty normal for this day and age... I can't see it getting anything worst than a Teen rating. But AT3 has the Reyvateils (& Vanguards) striping it down to the bare minimum (the game term for it is Purge - so they can have better "contact" with the tower as their power source ;p). Just as minor are not let in to a striptease place, AT3 has to be rated M for this reason alone. Why can't they say things for what they are... Its like he is a marketing person instead of the editor... This gives me the impression that NISA has no clue what's going on in the game -.- and that worries me.

Here is my attempt at answering the above question:
    "We fully anticipated the Mature rating for a very important story reason, and I am confident that our fans would agree with us. As you know, AT3 takes place in the 3rd Tower, Sol Cluster, which is very far away from the other two towers where AT1 & 2 took place. Since the towers are isolated from each other due to distance, the Reyvateil technology branches off in different directions as well. If you recall AT2, the Reyvateil has access to the synchronogy system where 2 Reyvateils can combine the power of their song magic. In AT3, the Reyvateils have access to the "Purge System". As the name implies, it does involve the "purging" or removal of something... in this case, clothing articles... in order to help the Reyvateil tap into the tower's power for their song magic. The Purge System isn't restricted to the story, but something you can utilize regularly in every battle if you so wish. And as your characters mature, they will also have access to higher level of purging. The end result can be rather revealing, but its all eye candies for our fans.

I must reiterate that AT3 isn't just about the purge system. In line with the entire Ar Tonelico series, we are here to help the Reyvateils through their challenges and hardship, as well as the resulting relationship that we build with them. That is why we are confident that the mature rating would not be an issue."

I just feel that its possible to explain it without coming across as some closet pervert. That, and he could have use this opportunity to shed some light on the personality system as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladewind View Post
    For more details, please check the fan initiated re-translation project at http://www.at2.metalbat.com/ run by Aquagon [There will be some spoiler on website].
    Although I'm not the only one doing work in there. The other active team members (fetjuel, Cless, Morganite, void, KWhazit, Kari) all deserve a mention too.

Quote Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
    Is that the only thing in which you can think about when listening to the Hymmnos songs? How disappointing and shameful...

"We fully anticipated the Mature rating for a very important story reason, and I am confident that our fans would agree with us. As you know, AT3 takes place in the 3rd Tower, Sol Cluster, which is very far away from the other two towers where AT1 & 2 took place. Since the towers are isolated from each other due to distance, the Reyvateil technology branches off in different directions as well. If you recall AT2, the Reyvateil has access to the synchronogy system where 2 Reyvateils can combine the power of their song magic. In AT3, the Reyvateils have access to the "Purge System". As the name implies, it does involve the "purging" or removal of something... in this case, clothing articles... in order to help the Reyvateil tap into the tower's power for their song magic. The Purge System isn't restricted to the story, but something you can utilize regularly in every battle if you so wish. And as your characters mature, they will also have access to higher level of purging. The end result can be rather revealing, but its all eye candies for our fans.

I must reiterate that AT3 isn't just about the purge system. In line with the entire Ar Tonelico series, we are here to help the Reyvateils through their challenges and hardship, as well as the resulting relationship that we build with them. That is why we are confident that the mature rating would not be an issue."

I just feel that its possible to explain it without coming across as some closet pervert. That, and he could have use this opportunity to shed some light on the personality system as well.
    Actually, and according to what Akira Tsuchiya explained sometime ago, the Purges don't allow the Reyvateils to draw more power from their Tower (Harvestasha), but actually, it allows them to receive a higher level of power from the Planet's Cosciousness via U-Wave interference, since they are pretty much directly linked to the Will of Ar Ciel (no more explanations beyond this because of being huge spoilers).

And I have to agree with you. Your explanation would have been many times better than what Steve Carlton said in the interview. At least yours sounds more like something that would be expected to hear from someone who is very familiar with the game and its lore.

I'm somewhat disappointed in only controlling one character in battle....

wow nice explanation there. and I didnt know you guys where working in a AT2 translation, I should check reyvateil melody, more often xD

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    I may preorder the calendar edition soon. Only thing I really didn't like much about Ar Tonelico 2 was the battle system so I'm glad to see that change.
    You didnt? wow, I loved it, they reeeally improved the combat system in my opinion, and if you want, it can be really difficult and entertaining(I loved, fighting the IPD's lvl 9, with a low lvl party, just one miss and you are dead) and I fighted Raki over 60 times I think(dont remember the actual number), maybe I will fight her more xD
    Last edited by GrimHouten; 02-04-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    --I apologize for the crappy english, still learning

Actually I was talking about the song magic duh. They obviously don't sound like they're in the throngs of ecstasy during any of the Hymnos in the last two games.

Pre-ordered the calendar. I liked more of the characters in the first game while the gameplay was fantastic in the second. Hopefully this has a happy medium. Besides that the main girls look too young.

I'm still skeptical after AT2 had game breaking bugs (along with sketchy translation). Also, this game just looks to be a LOT slower in battles. The Atelier PS3 game seemed to suffer the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    I'm still skeptical after AT2 had game breaking bugs (along with sketchy translation). Also, this game just looks to be a LOT slower in battles. The Atelier PS3 game seemed to suffer the same fate.
    Ateliers are time based RPGs and that alone scares many.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by aquagon View Post
    Although I'm not the only one doing work in there. The other active team members (fetjuel, Cless, Morganite, void, KWhazit, Kari) all deserve a mention too.

Actually, and according to what Akira Tsuchiya explained sometime ago, the Purges don't allow the Reyvateils to draw more power from their Tower (Harvestasha), but actually, it allows them to receive a higher level of power from the Planet's Cosciousness via U-Wave interference, since they are pretty much directly linked to the Will of Ar Ciel (no more explanations beyond this because of being huge spoilers).

And I have to agree with you. Your explanation would have been many times better than what Steve Carlton said in the interview. At least yours sounds more like something that would be expected to hear from someone who is very familiar with the game and its lore.
    Hey, its been a while, aquagon. We last chatted on the gamefaq boards when Master LL was doing his video series. Please give my regards to your team

Anyway, I know I can always count on you to set the explanation right. Considering the amount of lore and depth Akira Tsuchiya has invested into this, not to mention the creation of the hymnos, the NISA translation just doesn't do the series justice. This is one of the few games that deserves a residential lore master to help connect the dots thru out the series to make things right. On the bright/not-so-bright side, they can actually patch the game now XD

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    I'm somewhat disappointed in only controlling one character in battle....
    Agreed. I can't say I am fond of how the new battle system is implemented.

What everyone now want to copy the Tales series and star Ocean by creating battles with AI?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crono View Post
    AT2 had one "game breaking bug" that was incredibly easy to get around, and wasn't even until right near the end of the game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    What everyone now want to copy the Tales series and star Ocean by creating battles with AI?
    Generally any real-time battle system has to have AI or it doesn't really work (see Dragon Age, FFXII etc. etc. etc.) so this is just par for the course. AT2's battle system was really cool and unique though, I wish they'd stuck with something like that.