Thread: A New Revelation Emerges for Dragon Quest VI

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

A New Revelation Emerges for Dragon Quest VI

Dragon Quest VI will be coming to the DS in just one more week. That makes this the perfect time for a new trailer, so come take a look.

[Link]

I'm gonna enjoy me some DQ in a week! woot!

I need to start the DS trilogy. Maybe IV should be my next portable game.

I still prefer Dragon Warrior IV to Dragon Quest IV DS (the maps in Dragon Quest IV DS end up being smaller and being able to rotate maps, you can see the entire dungeon some times without even exploring (Yggdrasil World Tree for example)).

But Dragon Quest V was bomb and I'm looking forward to this too. First day pick-up then guide writing. As fun as 5 was it was kind of weird not having many playables throughout, though it was necessary to keep the focus on the Monsters. Now the monsters are not a big deal, only the slimes we can recruit, so this should be fun with all the playables in DQ6.

Quote Originally Posted by lordyuanshu View Post
    I still prefer Dragon Warrior IV to Dragon Quest IV DS (the maps in Dragon Quest IV DS end up being smaller and being able to rotate maps, you can see the entire dungeon some times without even exploring (Yggdrasil World Tree for example)).
    Makes sense. The Famicom graphics of the original version of Dragon Quest 4, and the Super Famicom graphics of DQ5-6 were all sprites. In some ways, the sprite art has not aged well. But in other ways, the 8/16-bit sprites look a lot better than the polygon art used in the DS versions.

Aren't the DS versions sprites as well??

Yes IV, V, VI on the DS use sprites, so I don't know what the other guy is talking about.

I love campy wordplay in headlines.

Not a big DQ fan but I'm big on buying JRPGs and the collection would feel incomplete without the only Western release of DQ VI. Definite purchase in other words.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Thing about Dragon Quest V and VI is I just wonder how in the world these games didn't make it on the SNES in the USA in the early-mid 90's. Not saying the US is their ideal market; DQ certainly sells exponentially better in Japan. But even still you'd think there was a small niche of Dragon Warrior fans that would have bought that. I mean they sent 7th Saga over here for goodness sake's, and other forgettable RPG's. But can't bother to send the flagship franchise over? I know Dragon Warrior IV was damn expensive (seemed like it was always 2x more than any other NES game at Funco (lol) and then the next one was Dragon Warrior III). I just remember reading initial previews of Dragon Quest V and VI in Gamepro but of course they never got translated here. And now we've basically had to wait 15 years for V and VI to come to the states even though they were one of the top selling games in Japan when they were released.

Thing about Dragon Quest V and VI is I just wonder how in the world these games didn't make it on the SNES in the USA in the early-mid 90's. Not saying the US is their ideal market; DQ certainly sells exponentially better in Japan. But even still you'd think there was a small niche of Dragon Warrior fans that would have bought that. I mean they sent 7th Saga over here for goodness sake's, and other forgettable RPG's. But can't bother to send the flagship franchise over? I know Dragon Warrior IV was damn expensive (seemed like it was always 2x more than any other NES game at Funco (lol) and then the next one was Dragon Warrior III). I just remember reading initial previews of Dragon Quest V and VI in Gamepro but of course they never got translated here. And now we've basically had to wait 15 years for V and VI to come to the states even though they were one of the top selling games in Japan when they were released.
    DQ6 is easy as the game was previewed in a Nintendo Power Epic Center back at the time. Then like a month or two later what ended up happening was Enix folded its US office.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I remember the Dragon Warrior IV PSX remake advertised on the back of the Dragon Warrior VII instruction manual, ah good times.

Anyway, can't wait for this, finally complete my DQ collection.

Dragon Quest V was the very first 12mb SNES cart (as I do so recall) and there was apprehension about the cost of translating it versus the franchise's not-as-good-as-final-fantasy sales in the US.

I agree that most Japanese RPGs were too hard for western gamers. If you take exception to this, then you are an exception--but you are posting on an RPG forum, so of course you would be.

I remember a guy in my class gave me a copy of Secret of Mana he got for X-mas because it was too hard. I also remember RPG meaning Really Pathetic Game when I was in middle school because I was one of two kids in the class that played them, everyone else was too busy with Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, or their hallowed Shaq Fu.

I was happy with Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, personally.

Yea, I'm sure the games would have been pricey like Dragon Warrior III and IV were for the NES. I remember Phantasy Star IV was huge (12mb maybe?) and was like damn near $100. DQV and VI probably wouldn't have been far off that.

Thing about Dragon Quest V DS is I know it's probably quite a bit easier than the Super Famicom version. But like I said, RPG's like 7th Saga were 10x more brutal and less playable (though I guess relatively small / cheap too so there's that).

Either way you slice it, a shame that this didn't come here and that other Westerners can't appreciate it. But that kind of underscores how our gaming culture has devolved and now anytime there is a game over or you can't save every step of a dungeon, 21st century gamers cry lol...

But that kind of underscores how our gaming culture has devolved and now anytime there is a game over or you can't save every step of a dungeon, 21st century gamers cry lol...
    On the contrary, I think the only thing it underscores is how much more common gaming is nowadays. In the mid-90's, only the big-name RPGs got translated, and they frequently sold for absurd prices compared to other games. Nowadays, it's a matter of course that we get practically every game that every big publisher produces, along with plenty of lesser-known games from smaller companies. There are still games out there that cater to people who like fiendish difficulties, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to be able to play through a game without seeing the game over screen thirty times.

I think not being able to save anywhere is a perfectly valid complaint for a handheld game -- if you're playing while you're on the go, you never know when you'll suddenly need to stop. Being able to put your system to sleep (as the PSP and DS can do) is useful, but if you know you're going to be away from a charger for a while and want to conserve battery power, being able to save and power off anywhere is very nice.

And let us not forget that 7th Saga has a reputation for being brutally hard, and the US version was actually made harder than the Japanese version. Having a Game Genie made that game much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Minneyar; 02-09-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Yeah. I think the more people get into gaming the more simplified the average game will be, as the common denominator gets lower and lower. Still, it's a good thing the industry has grown both huge and socially acceptable.

I'm not sure depreciation of DQ has anything to do with devolving though. I'm a longtime fan of RPGs myself and I don't mind a challenge (love Demon's Souls), but I've never really been able to see the appeal of DQ. The gameplay is simplistic and hugely repetitive while the storytelling is lacking in scope and vision compared to a lot of other games in the genre. I do like the graphical style (Toriyama after all) and the music in DQ, and I can see why some people would be into it, but I can just as easily see why the majority wouldn't be.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking

Yea, I get the handheld argument and battery power, I hear it all the time. I just never have that problem. Thinking practically, there are few places I go for extended periods of time that lack electricity (ie I don't climb mountains for 12 hours with my DS lol). Pretty much comes down to poor time management / forgetting to charge the DS as far as I'm concerned (like you say, if you just close it, the Sleep mode keeps it going for quite awhile unless again you're poor at time management). Bottom line only time that excuse works for me is if someone is on a long plane flight / train, but I guess that's enough to warrant the feature.

Spartakus, which Dragon Warrior's / Dragon Quest's have you actually played? Just curious, I'm hoping you've played through many of them because otherwise I don't know how you can make blanket statements like the storytelling is lacking in scope (Dragon Quest V's story-telling is actually brilliant for it's time, just as interesting / involving as FFIV (gasp), and it's a relevant comp because they were released about the same time for SNES).

Moreover I find that those who didn't grow up playing Dragon Warrior I-IV on the NES tend to not be interested in the franchise. It's that simplicity that we love and stays true throughout the series, both in terms of gameplay, graphics, and the story. The story mostly focuses on towns and the people in towns as opposed to the character's themselves, so this turns some off but I enjoy it. I didn't care one bit in Dragon Warrior III or Dragon Quest IX that my characters were all auto-created / had no story, because the rest of the cast / towns were compelling enough around them. The world map is bomb and they don't have point + click games like FFX or screen-to-screen games like FFXIII. Maybe the gameplay is repetitive to a point, but we could argue that about any RPG really.

Just depends on what you like I guess, but I know I'll always favor Dragon Quest's style. Best part is their sales numbers in Japan ensure they never have to sell out to the 21st way of making RPG's.
    Last edited by lordyuanshu; 02-09-2011 at 08:49 AM.

I never found any real problem with the storytelling, aside from the original two games. The focus on the early series was making your own story through exploring the world while lightly chipping away at the main arc, kind of like an episodic anime (which the series creators wanted to mimic in game format, so it worked). Dragon Quest III which was when the series really hit its stride in Japan due to really nailing this particular trait, and that game had an epic plot twist if you had been involved with the whole trilogy.

I think IV-VI's stories were all pretty revolutionary for when they came out, I played Dragon Quest IV at the same time as FFIV and found myself liking its story more, mediocre translations aside. Actually its story was pretty far ahead of its time for an NES game, since there were some fairly brutal things going on in it (especially when you consider the actual Japanese release dates of DQIV vs. FFIV)

But yeah, the series' roots in TV-series-like gameplay is what makes it so appealing, as opposed to the Final Fantasy series where everything is always related to the singular arc and the characters' involvement with it. Just different takes on how to present a story.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Spartakus, which Dragon Warrior's / Dragon Quest's have you actually played? Just curious, I'm hoping you've played through many of them because otherwise I don't know how you can make blanket statements like the storytelling is lacking in scope (Dragon Quest V's story-telling is actually brilliant for it's time, just as interesting / involving as FFIV (gasp), and it's a relevant comp because they were released about the same time for SNES).
    I've got 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9, I've also emulated the originals of the first three. 8 is probably my favourite, but I eventually quit on all these games once the grinding got time-consuming and the story wasn't there to motivate me. Of course I haven't played through any of them; why would I play through a 50+ hour game that bores me? I'm not a masochist. I know I'm in no position to give a verdict on the full run of the storytelling in each game, nor would I dare claim my opinion on DQ is universally valid - Japan proves it isn't - all I know is I got bored after 10-20 hours and stopped playing. Maybe lack of scope in the storytelling isn't the most precise way of pinpointing why, but it makes no difference. To be even more vague let's just say there's something about FF games I really enjoy that isn't present in DQ.
    Currently playing:

Comparing DQ and FF, while they are comparable in terms of general release and competition for players in the genre isn't entirely fair. The mood and atmosphere in Dragon Quest games always feels a lot lighter than in most Final Fantasy games. I blame the cutesy little slimes as enemies, personally, but ... Final Fantasy has their chocobos and moogles...

There is much less character development within DQ games than in FF games, though. It does focus more on the story arc and the individual locales, than FF does. Because characters aren't developed as much, you don't have unforgettably awesome characters, the betrayals... I remember finding Leon by the emperor's side in FF2, or wondering if Kain truly was brainwashed, or just wanted in Rosa's dress for himself. Finding out I was related to Golbez was truly a shocker, or that the first boss in the game somehow turned himself into a manifestation of Chaos in the past just blew my mind. You have your "Spoony Bard"s and "Mr. Thou"s that you just don't have in the Dragon Quest franchise.

DQ, to me, focuses more on good old fashioned RPG gameplay. It's usually a well developed system, there's often mazes or puzzles, moreso than in FF games. DQ7 brings to mind the length of time one goes before fighting in their absolute first fight. I was over at a friend's house, it was his PS2, so he was playing, and it was WELL over an hour before a single combat encounter. That wasn't spent developing my characters, so much as the setting, with some puzzles thrown into the mix.

They're both wonderful series, but they cater to an entirely different mentality in most cases. I just happen to appreciate both sides of the coin.