Thread: Sound Test - Missed Opportunities

Sound Test - Missed Opportunities

Listen to yet another soothing passacaglia for strings while reading about the curator's recent employment woes in this week's Sound Test column.

Sound Test - Missed Opportunities
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

Hey Fermat. Long time. How's everything going?

Sorry those interviews didn't pan out. That is always frustrating. No worries though, I'm sure the next ones will rock!

I like the last two pieces you've put up, though I gotta say the new one is far superior. I really enjoyed it, but both were pretty good.

So... *looks around* Not a lot of people really interested in Sound Test anymore or what? I can't help but notice the forums on some of the recent updates have been kinda void of life. =( Perhaps we can come up with a way to fix that? My musical and writing skills are at your command sir.

Quote Originally Posted by kainvinosec View Post
    Hey Fermat. Long time. How's everything going?

Sorry those interviews didn't pan out. That is always frustrating. No worries though, I'm sure the next ones will rock!

I like the last two pieces you've put up, though I gotta say the new one is far superior. I really enjoyed it, but both were pretty good.

So... *looks around* Not a lot of people really interested in Sound Test anymore or what? I can't help but notice the forums on some of the recent updates have been kinda void of life. =( Perhaps we can come up with a way to fix that? My musical and writing skills are at your command sir.
    Well, yeah, I've recently graduated with honors and I'm currently working as a physician-on-duty for a couple of health facilities. The pay's considerably better than most people's, particularly newly-graduated professionals, but let's just say I'm a greedy little SOB, so I'm aiming for something more.

As for the arrangement, yeah, a lot of people have mentioned that they like the Passacaglia in A better than the Passacaglia in A-flat—ironic, really, considering that I adore Prelude way more than Awakening. Maybe it's a sign that I have to re-remix this sometime soon. Haha!

As for Sound Test, this has been going on for quite some time. Years, actually. The most replies I've had for a featured piece was five, I think. My dry sense of humor and innate ability to bore people must be coming through magnificently in my writing. Also, most of Sound Test's followers are lurkers, and even then I'm guessing they're just a handful of people. It wouldn't surprise me if the column just dies out after I exhaust the remaining mixes Daryl Banner has sent in, as well as the few more I have in my own archive. As I've said before, though, I'll continue to put up columns and feature fan-made music for as long as I can, and for as long as there are people, no matter how few, who express delight in it.

A request section has been on my mind for months, years maybe, but as I've said before, I don't think I can handle it all by myself. That was the reason behind "The Grand Audition 2009." Unfortunately, the winner has contacted me just once since his win, rendering the entire competition moot. It also placed the request section back to square one. Maybe I'll just plain out ask a few composers to join a Council of Remixers or whatever you'd like to call it. Your help would be most welcome. Garrett's around, but he's dabbling mostly with other stuff at the moment. All others interested can just email me. Maybe I'll come up with an announcement in a week or two.
    Last edited by Fermat's Last Theorem; 02-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

It may just be my opinion but I'm not sure doing full albums like Banner's VII and spreading them out is a major draw. I mean, the music is great but it ends up being the only thing Sound Test does for a few months at a time and if you don't like that album it alienates a lot of people... Maybe just do the whole album in one or two installments instead of a ton?

Also only updating every other week doesn't seem to be working very well. Maybe get another composer/remixer to do some updates on the weeks that you don't? I, for one, have a ton of free time on my hands... Just sayin'. lol

Also does Sound Test HAVE to pertain to video game music? I have an album of ten very short, very melodic songs that sound very much like they belong in a video game. It is about to go up for sale on Amazon but if you wanted to put the whole album up in a Sound Test update I would be up for it.

And if you want to try taking requests, as long as the songs aren't too complicated I would certainly be up for trying that as well. I have a lot of free time and love working on projects and am a huge fan of RPGamer in general, so I would love to help out.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I'm a regular listener! Just not a regular commenter... sorry.

Also, if I had any knowledge or skill at remixing music, I'd have donated something by now.

That said, what about game-related filk, like last year's "Devil Survivor" / "Eye of the Tiger" parody?

Guess I need to write Chris another epic.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I must agree that this one is better than the first remix, though I actually like "Prelude" and "Awakening" about the same.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "