Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Xenogears Stomps Its Way to PSN

  1. #1
    Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    3,499

    Xenogears Stomps Its Way to PSN

    Xenogears is on it's way to PlayStation Network tomorrow. Everyone jump into your stompy robots and make some noise.

    Story.

  2. #2
    It's about time. That's all there is to say about that.

    I still have the PS1 disks, so I may or may not be picking this one up. Probably leaning towards the "may".

  3. #3
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,141
    I think it's time I gave this game another chance

  4. #4
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    595
    woot, another reason to keep my discs sealed in a fireproof safe with all the other important things, car titles, guns, insurance video of everything in the house, etc.

    -Kel

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    580
    hopefully they fixed babel tower
    thanks for reading

  6. #6
    _ Nim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,175
    They don't fix anything for PSOne Classics.

  7. #7
    Member reionpremente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Pinckney MI
    Posts
    368
    Heh... I wonder if Vagrant Story will show up tomorrow too. Probably not, but here's to keeping your fingers crossed! ^_^

  8. #8
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by reionpremente View Post
    Heh... I wonder if Vagrant Story will show up tomorrow too. Probably not, but here's to keeping your fingers crossed! ^_^
    I'm still surprised it hasn't, given that it's available in Europe.

  9. #9
    Member Zaku77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    556
    This is annoying timing. I just finished this about a week and a half ago. I would have loved to have played it on the PSP to have it look better. Oh well, thats's what second playthroughs are for!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

    http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    201
    I rented Xenogears (back when there were more than a handful of independent video rental stores), and didn't really enjoy it. I wasn't especially interested in serious stories, or games that required learning new combat systems.

    Would I pay a few bucks to try it again for my PSP? Maybe, maybe not... Most of my PSP use these days is Lumines, Harvest Moon Boy and Girl, and Half Minute Hero. Two of those three games are enjoyable in short segments, and I just find the other one relaxing. For some reason, I don't tend to enjoy lengthy games on the PSP...

  11. #11
    Member flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    5,016
    Everyone loves giant robots. How many other games have giant robots on PS1? There's not that many!

    Has an excellent example of Omniscient Council of Vagueness in the Gazel Ministry. Nothing they say will make any sense on your first playthrough. That goes double for a good portion of the in-story dialogue as well.

  12. #12
    Member Zaku77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    556
    The story really is an incredible piece of work. It brings up a lot of issues of society, morality, and the links to Freud's Theory of the Personality are an awesome touch!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

    http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

  13. #13
    Member Jormungand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,601
    Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

    In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.

  14. #14
    - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ca, USA
    Posts
    608
    Man, I wish I still had my old PSX save. I never did beat this game and would like to take the opportunity to wrap it up.

  15. #15
    Member Minneyar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday.
    Wait, what album is this? Where can I get it?

    If I tried to make a list of my top 5 favorite games of all time, Xenogears would be on there somewhere. I wish I had time to play through it again nowadays, but my game backlog already builds up faster than I can play through them. All of my computers are named after gears, though.

  16. #16
    Member Confessor Rahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    6,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

    In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.
    Mine shipped yesterday. Should arrive by tomorrow or the day after. SO exited!


    www.powerlinemag.com

    "I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

  17. #17
    If they would only fix the near atrocity that was disc 2, this would become one of the greatest games ever made.

  18. #18
    Member Fermat's Last Theorem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the Philippines
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
    If they would only fix the near atrocity that was disc 2, this would become one of the greatest games ever made.
    It wasn't that bad. Just very... fragmented. That necklace swaying in the background during the introductory segments of each of those episodes, though, I found exquisitely annoying.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

  19. #19
    Transcends lowly masses
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,988
    Bout time. This came out on JPSN like, years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by caddyalan View Post
    I wasn't especially interested in serious stories, or games that required learning new combat systems.
    Huh? ...So in other words, you don't like video games?

  20. #20
    Disc 2 was awful, it's just easy to forgive because the rest of the game was so good and the story remained well written, which brings me to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

    In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.
    While I'd like to be optimistic about eventually seeing the rest of the Xenogears series as outlined in the Perfect Works being made someday, I don't think Square Enix has any writers that could handle the task these days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •