Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenogears Stomps Its Way to PSN

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Xenogears Stomps Its Way to PSN

Xenogears is on it's way to PlayStation Network tomorrow. Everyone jump into your stompy robots and make some noise.

Story.

It's about time. That's all there is to say about that.

I still have the PS1 disks, so I may or may not be picking this one up. Probably leaning towards the "may".

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I think it's time I gave this game another chance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    woot, another reason to keep my discs sealed in a fireproof safe with all the other important things, car titles, guns, insurance video of everything in the house, etc.

-Kel

hopefully they fixed babel tower
    thanks for reading

They don't fix anything for PSOne Classics.

Heh... I wonder if Vagrant Story will show up tomorrow too. Probably not, but here's to keeping your fingers crossed! ^_^

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reionpremente View Post
    Heh... I wonder if Vagrant Story will show up tomorrow too. Probably not, but here's to keeping your fingers crossed! ^_^
    I'm still surprised it hasn't, given that it's available in Europe.

This is annoying timing. I just finished this about a week and a half ago. I would have loved to have played it on the PSP to have it look better. Oh well, thats's what second playthroughs are for!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

I rented Xenogears (back when there were more than a handful of independent video rental stores), and didn't really enjoy it. I wasn't especially interested in serious stories, or games that required learning new combat systems.

Would I pay a few bucks to try it again for my PSP? Maybe, maybe not... Most of my PSP use these days is Lumines, Harvest Moon Boy and Girl, and Half Minute Hero. Two of those three games are enjoyable in short segments, and I just find the other one relaxing. For some reason, I don't tend to enjoy lengthy games on the PSP...

Everyone loves giant robots. How many other games have giant robots on PS1? There's not that many!

Has an excellent example of Omniscient Council of Vagueness in the Gazel Ministry. Nothing they say will make any sense on your first playthrough. That goes double for a good portion of the in-story dialogue as well.

The story really is an incredible piece of work. It brings up a lot of issues of society, morality, and the links to Freud's Theory of the Personality are an awesome touch!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Man, I wish I still had my old PSX save. I never did beat this game and would like to take the opportunity to wrap it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday.
    Wait, what album is this? Where can I get it?

If I tried to make a list of my top 5 favorite games of all time, Xenogears would be on there somewhere. I wish I had time to play through it again nowadays, but my game backlog already builds up faster than I can play through them. All of my computers are named after gears, though.

Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.
    Mine shipped yesterday. Should arrive by tomorrow or the day after. SO exited!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

If they would only fix the near atrocity that was disc 2, this would become one of the greatest games ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
    If they would only fix the near atrocity that was disc 2, this would become one of the greatest games ever made.
    It wasn't that bad. Just very... fragmented. That necklace swaying in the background during the introductory segments of each of those episodes, though, I found exquisitely annoying.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

Transcends lowly masses
    Bout time. This came out on JPSN like, years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by caddyalan View Post
    I wasn't especially interested in serious stories, or games that required learning new combat systems.
    Huh? ...So in other words, you don't like video games?

Disc 2 was awful, it's just easy to forgive because the rest of the game was so good and the story remained well written, which brings me to...

While I'd like to be optimistic about eventually seeing the rest of the Xenogears series as outlined in the Perfect Works being made someday, I don't think Square Enix has any writers that could handle the task these days.