Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 37 - I Caught 'Em All, and the Pain Won't Stop

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 37 - I Caught 'Em All, and the Pain Won't Stop

Vicious beasts are kept confined inside tiny balls, released by their masters only to do battle. Strangely, the creatures seem perfectly okay with this, and the Backtrack panelists are here to explain why.
    Something about Pocket Monsters.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Grrr....now I can't get the poke songs out of my head. Make it stop!!

The one, that you wanna be the very best, as no one ever was?

True story: RPGamer actually had a profound impact on competitive Pokemon that's still being felt to this day.

About 10 years ago, some psychos actually went to the trouble of coding Pokemon battle simulators for the 1st gen games (in fact, they still exist) and one of the main strategies was to abuse Double Team - which every Pokemon can learn if it can use TMs. RPGamer had a pretty good Pokemon community at this point, and they instituted a ban on evasion moves for their tournaments which spread throughout the community.

The ban still exists to this day on wi-fi and in the equivalent simulators.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Man, if people didn't think I was a dork before, they will now. XD
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I find it funny how the backtrack devolved from Game discussion into, Which Pokemon we like/hate, and rage at Cynthia's garchomp.
    Which by the way, my Ursaring one Shotted.
    ive got candy

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Every discussion about Pokemon devolves into discussion of one's favourite Pokemon.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Wasn't there something very similar to IV & EV training in the first ones?

At the least I recall that leveling through Rare candies didn't give as good stats, as leveling through battling (unless you also used those stat boosting items).

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    There was. The EV and IV systems were, however, completely overhauled for the third generation. I believe IVs were referred to as DVs, or Dynamic Values in the second generation.

And Rare Candies still do not give as much as much in the way of good stats in the newer generations, though it's a bit more complicated. With Rare Candies, no EV are given, so if you only level up a Pokemon by giving if candies, it will have considerably lower stats that one that battles to level-up. However, if a Pokemon recieves all possible EVs (every Pokemon can recieve a maximum of 510 EVs, and up to 255 to a single stat), then they can be given Rare Candies with no problems.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 03-01-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

The easiest way to think of the gen 1/2 systems is that IV/DV/whathaveyou went 0-15 instead of 0-31, there was only 4 that weren't fixed (1 for both Special stats and HP was determined by the other 4), and every stat could have 255 in EVs.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    I would like to apologize for slighting the Delaz fleet, who actually accomplished something with a lot inside help, gen 2 team rocket is closer to those loser zeon remnants in africa who only managed to make Judau and the junkyard gang look even lamer by pwning them obsolete suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    I would like to apologize for slighting the Delaz fleet, who actually accomplished something with a lot inside help, gen 2 team rocket is closer to those loser zeon remnants in africa who only managed to make Judau and the junkyard gang look even lamer by pwning them obsolete suits.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Best. Reply. Ever.

That reply brought to you by Sayla Mass and the letters W, T, and F.

I didn't think the Gundam Exia facepalm was appropriate.

Following on from defeating the (Johto) Elite Four during the recording, I've spent a little time exploring the Gen IV version of Kanto. Brings back so many good memories from long ago.

Still haven't been able to catch that damn Snorlax outside Vermillion City, though.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Only one thing to say about Pokemon that hasn't been said. It's made for some of the more.... Interesting Rule 34 entries. Super-busty versions of Misty and the other Poke-girls aside, one pic always stuck in my mind, that of what I believe to be an Ekans slithering out of a certain part of Jessie's anatomy... I'll leave you all to fill in the details.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Only one thing to say about Pokemon that hasn't been said. It's made for some of the more.... Interesting Rule 34 entries. Super-busty versions of Misty and the other Poke-girls aside, one pic always stuck in my mind, that of what I believe to be an Ekans slithering out of a certain part of Jessie's anatomy... I'll leave you all to fill in the details.

I really need to amass a collection of those.

Man, I haven't played a Pokemon game way back since Blue. I had done about 2 or 3 gyms and had a pretty good team going until I made the mistake of lending my Gameboy to another kid in my class so he could play Tetris during smoe free time we had in school, and instead he started up a new game with a protagonist named Papi Chulo and saved over my file... Haven't played Pokemon ever since. I did play the card game a few times with my little brother when he was into it.

And man, the second song you played, the one about Johto was super catchy.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Abdul View Post
    Man, I haven't played a Pokemon game way back since Blue. I had done about 2 or 3 gyms and had a pretty good team going until I made the mistake of lending my Gameboy to another kid in my class so he could play Tetris during smoe free time we had in school, and instead he started up a new game with a protagonist named Papi Chulo and saved over my file... Haven't played Pokemon ever since. I did play the card game a few times with my little brother when he was into it.

And man, the second song you played, the one about Johto was super catchy.
    Yeah, always a good idea to never lend out your gameboy while playing Pokemon. Or at least put the cartridge in a hard-to-find place.

That being said, you're probably a perfect candidate to play one of the newer Pokemon games. Since they don't change much, it's somewhat easy to get burnt out if you play every generation. Having had some time away from it as you have, you'd probably be better able to appreciate the newer games.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.