Thread: Vagrant Story Wanders Onto PSN

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Vagrant Story Wanders Onto PSN

Thanks to the magic of the PlayStation Network, gamers can re-experience the pantsless adventures of Ashley Riot. It's also a chance for younger gamers to check out the least-well-known Ivalice game.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I completely forgot that this takes place in Ivalice. I like how square sneaks that world in where you least expect it!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Apparently FFXII has various references to Vagrant Story in it.

I heard that, but I totally missed them. I apparently need to play through VS, and then FFXII again back to back or something.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Apparently FFXII has various references to Vagrant Story in it.
    Yep. The country of Valendia that serves as the setting for Vagrant Story is right there on FFXII's world map. Also, various terms like "Paling" from Vagrant Story show up in that game, as well as several things I probably missed because I didn't play enough of the game.

Anyways, Vagrant Story is awesome. It can be a bit frustrating at first, though. To be honest, I didn't like it when I first played it. It took a glowing review from an internet critic to get me to try it again, and when I did, I loved it. It is a wonderful game if you are willing to keep at it.

TwinBahamut's big tip for Vagrant Story: Go to the options menu and turn on that option that displays changes to your equipment's attributes in the HUD. This makes it much, much easier to get a good feel for how the game's equipment attribute system works and what you need to do when.

Oh. That does make a lot of sense. I will admit, wrapping my head around the bloody equipment system was something I never quite managed.

Maxing out PP, or Phantom Points, on your equipment helps a ton. If there was one thing that made my time in VS much less painful, it was that one thing.

Never got a chance to play this one before. Will have to get it sometime soon.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/496/theharv00.png

I have dedicated a lot of hours of my life to this game. I had a save file with over a dozen continued playthroughs with all dread gear and the holy win and just crazy awesome everything that I lost via a corrupted memory card. I plan to rebuild my sick-house Ashley now.

Its still not available on my PSN, but I trust it will be in a few hours.

I'm sure this is a moot point, but is it $9.99?
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

The story lists the cost. It's $5.99.

This is the best game set in Ivalice. I would have loved a sequel.
    Sincerely,
    Your Dread Lord
    http://homepage.mac.com/cyberskull/M...Medium_Sig.gif
    Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    I missed out when this game came out originally. The the game still hold up well today?

I would say yes, but I know some people who can't get back into it. I would say the better question is if you will like the gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately, I suck at explaining it, so someone else will have to do that.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    I missed out when this game came out originally. The the game still hold up well today?
    As far as the graphics go (I'm just playing it for the first time), they've aged quite well. Plus its got great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    As far as the graphics go (I'm just playing it for the first time), they've aged quite well. Plus its got great music.
    I recall playing it quite a bit on my PS2. The game has a very strong visual design that should not have aged too badly.
    Sincerely,
    Your Dread Lord
    http://homepage.mac.com/cyberskull/M...Medium_Sig.gif
    Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…