Thread: Square Enix Invites You to Celebrate Aya's Birthday

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Square Enix Invites You to Celebrate Aya's Birthday

Who knew a birthday party could get so deadly? Square Enix invites RPGamers to overdive into Aya's memories, and see why she'll be crying at her own birthday party.

Story.

Hmmm... maybe giving Aya a voice wasn't such a good idea... The dubbing makes it sound like a bad soap opera. I'd much prefer them giving us the Japanese voice over that screeching whiny thing. She's sounding like Samus in Other M... yes, THAT bad. ~_~ I never thought of Aya being that uncertain about ANYTHING and then I was rudely interrupted in that thought process when I saw that trailer. All I can say is that the action better make up for it, or I'm going to be very mad.

Not digging the voices...

Also, the "Who am I?" scene with the bloodied wedding gown was a WTF moment. Amnesia secondary to hypovolemia secondary to multiple gunshot wounds? What!?
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

From everything I've seen about this game, it's starting feel like a train wreck =(
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermat's Last Theorem View Post
    Not digging the voices...
    Neither am I. That's not a voice I'd associate with a character like her. She's not Aerith.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaku77 View Post
    From everything I've seen about this game, it's starting feel like a train wreck =(
    Yeah, I'm with you in that regard.

Me, I wanted to like this game so much. PE1 and 2 were among my faves of the PS1 era, but it seems that SE is doing their best to pee all over everything that was good about those two.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I'm trying so hard to not dislike this game, but this will easily be the hardest review I'll have to write for RPGamer. I'm not going to sugar coat how hard this will be for me when I finish it. ;_;

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Don't worry, Nyxie, just be honest and open, and we'll all hug it out with you when it's all over.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

That's not a voice I'd associate with a character like her. She's not Aerith.
    I didn't watch the trailer and I'm cringing. Aerith? Eww.

I thought "train wreck" was already presumed when they announced it was originally hitting cell phones, it was a shooter, and they were dropping the Parasite Eve license? Also, development hell. It's been what, almost 5 years?

As much as I want to play this game, it's not sounding like something I'm going to end up buying even if PE1 ranks as one of my favorite JRPG games. The first game is the Portal analog to Final Fantasy in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I didn't watch the trailer and I'm cringing. Aerith? Eww.
    It's a higher pitched and more vulnerable sounding voice than I expected. I expected her to sound more assertive.

All right, I just beat the game and all I can say is...

...I need a beer. Badly.

If you're going to PAX East next weekend I highly recommend Harpoon, they're within spitting distance of the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post

...I need a beer. Badly.
    If only I was shoptroll, if only. We do have two folks going to PAX East though as Ocelot and Wheels will be there.

And it's okay, I got my beer. Delicious Tankhouse ilu.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I have to say that I'm looking forward to this review solely out of morbid curiosity...

I never got around to playing the second one. I should probably go work on that before this one comes out. As upsetting at this game appears to be, as long as the gameplay is alright I can manage through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post

...I need a beer. Badly.
    Crap. I was afraid of this. I liked the first two games, particularly the premise of the first since it involved cell biology. I'm hoping the battle system's good enough to drown out everything else negative. That's a tall glass of water, though.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

But this cockamamie idea that Eve is/was her sister is complete BS. We all know differently. She was a singer that for all we knew had no ties whatsoever to Aya and now they're breaking all of the roles for the Third Birthday? How about some freaking realism here. Or at least staying true to the original storyline. I haven't played 2 to know if anything was given to even suggest that Eve was her sister... did I miss something? Sadly, I'd heard such mixed reviews on 2 that I avoided it at the time. Is there anywhere where I can get a reasonable review of it? Well... I take it back... she did remember something about her sister going through the same thing she had, but I didn't think it was slightly mentioned in PE that she WAS in fact her sister. Am I mistaken there?

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermat's Last Theorem View Post
    Crap. I was afraid of this. I liked the first two games, particularly the premise of the first since it involved cell biology. I'm hoping the battle system's good enough to drown out everything else negative. That's a tall glass of water, though.
    Oh, I know what Nyx is referring to. The ending...especially that one scene after the final boss fight. Makes you cry, and it hurts hard. T_T

Quote Originally Posted by reionpremente View Post
    But this cockamamie idea that Eve is/was her sister is complete BS. We all know differently. She was a singer that for all we knew had no ties whatsoever to Aya and now they're breaking all of the roles for the Third Birthday? How about some freaking realism here. Or at least staying true to the original storyline. I haven't played 2 to know if anything was given to even suggest that Eve was her sister... did I miss something? Sadly, I'd heard such mixed reviews on 2 that I avoided it at the time. Is there anywhere where I can get a reasonable review of it? Well... I take it back... she did remember something about her sister going through the same thing she had, but I didn't think it was slightly mentioned in PE that she WAS in fact her sister. Am I mistaken there?
    PE2 spoilers below.

Eve (not EVE, who is Mitochondrial Eve) is in fact a clone of Aya created by a shadow government in order to force humanity to evolve to a perfect species. After the events of PE2, Eve lost her memories of what happened in PE2 and was put in official documents as Aya's sister, because she was adopted by Aya.

Kyle was also there for the events of PE2, so you might want to play it so you know what the hell is going on.

I needed a beer because the ending was so brain-breakingly messed up (and not in a good way). I was crying because the last few fights in the game plus terrible camera made them a pain in the tush to finish.

I want my 17 hours back.