Thread: Five Reasons You Should Care About Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Five Reasons You Should Care About Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

If you are a fan of open-world RPGs, you owe it to yourself to learn more about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Don't be scared by the seemingly generic title, give this one a look.

5 Reasons to Care
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Sounds very interesting. I have been watching this game, but not much has been revealed, so your article was a great read for me. It sounds like the game has a lot of potential, now let us hope it realizes that potential. screens look good enough and I do like the design. Combat sounds like it will be fun and being able to mix skills sounds good, because I like to play battle mages when I can.

I'm glad it's a 2012 title, because this year is filled with big name RPGs and I don't know if it would have survived. Dragon Age II, Dungeon Siege III, Hunted: Demon's Forge, Mass Effect 3, Risen 2, The Witcher II and so on.

Banned Banned
    "#1: Like the Elder Scroll Series?"

NOPE

Quote Originally Posted by HJ+ View Post
    "#1: Like the Elder Scroll Series?"

NOPE
    What didn't you like about it? It's not an ES clone, that's for sure.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    What didn't you like about it? It's not an ES clone, that's for sure.
    Well, truth be told, I only played Oblivion, but it was pretty much everything. Combat was incredibly dull, and I couldn't stand the leveling system. I was also paranoid that if I chose the wrong skills or something I'd be permanently screwed, though I admit that may be more of a personal flaw (paranoid parrot reporting in) than anything else.

That aside, it was like there was TOO much to do and it detracted from the main story. Your incredibly important quest to save the world feels a lot less important when you can just forget all about it and go become a thief or whatever else your heart desires. And there was so much stuff to do that it just felt... suffocating. Like, I would feel bad for just ignoring it because that's the meat of the game, but the more I indulged in the never-ending swarm of side stories, the more I'd wonder "does my character have any real purpose or what?" I can see how some people would like it a lot, but it just wasn't my kinda game, I guess.

Well, truth be told, I only played Oblivion, but it was pretty much everything. Combat was incredibly dull, and I couldn't stand the leveling system. I was also paranoid that if I chose the wrong skills or something I'd be permanently screwed, though I admit that may be more of a personal flaw (paranoid parrot reporting in) than anything else.

That aside, it was like there was TOO much to do and it detracted from the main story. Your incredibly important quest to save the world feels a lot less important when you can just forget all about it and go become a thief or whatever else your heart desires. And there was so much stuff to do that it just felt... suffocating. Like, I would feel bad for just ignoring it because that's the meat of the game, but the more I indulged in the never-ending swarm of side stories, the more I'd wonder "does my character have any real purpose or what?" I can see how some people would like it a lot, but it just wasn't my kinda game, I guess.
    Not a fan of wRPGs in general, I take it?

While I can't speak to your issues about having too much to do, Reckoning fixes most all of the problems you list to start. Combat is third-person, fast, and flexible. Leveling is standard and skills can be set to anything and reset if needed.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Oddly enough, I originally found out about this because I'm a Red Sox fan, and ESPN did an interview with Curt about his studio. I'm actually really looking forward to these projects. His design philosophy seems to be a good one, and as long as he doesn't get an inordinate amount of pressure to release early it should end up being a pretty polished product.

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbabylon View Post
    Not a fan of wRPGs in general, I take it?
    Generally not, no.

@Mac: Yeah, I read the rest of the article after making the first post in this topic and it sounds a lot better in those regards, so it's really mostly the story issue I'm wary of. I mean, I don't dislike having lots of content, or even side stories, but I prefer them to have some sort of relevance to the main plot, however small. Just something that actually gives me an incentive to go out and do my main quest other than being told to by some old guy.

Ha ha, same here. I like having a good story tie together all those battles and questing so I hope to hear more on that front.