Thread: The RPG Sanctum - #4: The Best RPG Platform

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar

The RPG Sanctum - #4: The Best RPG Platform

Of all platforms that either exist or have existed, which had the best RPGs? Do any consoles surpass the the eternal platform that is the PC? Our panelists will tap their inner fanboy/girl to determine an answer. They did this and some other stuff happened.

http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgsanctum/sanctum04.mp3

itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...um/id416583261

Be sure to leave any feedback for us on this thread and leave some reviews on itunes. The next show topic is whether there are any mmo's (either released or upcoming) that have the chops to topple WoW. If you want to submit content, e-mail me a mp3 file to rosestorm90@gmail.com, if you need instructions on how to make one e-mail me and I will be more than willing to help. If you have any ideas for future shows feel free to post them here or e-mail me.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Apologies in advance for my potty mouth. When I get into certain ranting modes my mouth holds no bounds. and it's very wrong of me to be so foul representing the site. I generally a nice lady, I swear!

Also I am not funny. I apologize for that too.

I was like: "*SHOCK* Sam flew in on an RPG airship and dropped some F-Bombs!"

Quote Originally Posted by gdawgtuk View Post
    I was like: "*SHOCK* Sam flew in on an RPG airship and dropped some F-Bombs!"
    I did. I should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I did. I should be fired.
    Beepin right!

Only just started listening but no one is arguing for the SNES? shocking!!
    Last edited by Retrovertigo; 03-08-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: removed a full stop :)

In a world of infinite money it's the most powerful machine, but in a world of limited resources it's whatever system allows you to create grand epics without spending billions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx
    Apologies in advance for my potty mouth. When I get into certain ranting modes my mouth holds no bounds. and it's very wrong of me to be so foul representing the site. I generally a nice lady, I swear!
    Being human is a sympathetic quality.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

One hour in and I'm not sure the topic has actually been discussed yet.

This podcast really was a case one minute we'd be on topic, then the topic would turn into "omg yeah, that's an awesome game, or ewww that sucks" and then it derails, topic comes back, derails further, and then we go wth the typical Marge Simpson ending for things which is "they all win!"

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    Only just started listening but no one is arguing for the SNES? shocking!!
    This. I am shocked - SHOCKED - that it seemingly wasn't even mentioned.

Then again, I'm a little biased considering what are #1 and 2 on my GOAT list are... (Chrono Trigger/Earthbound).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Two people arguing for PS1 and no one for SNES? I just started listening and don't know if I can take it. :P
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

It'd be a close call between SNES & PS2 for me if we're counting US releases. If we're including foreign releases as well, SNES/SF would win easily.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Dang, now I really wish I hadn't missed this episode. XD Ah well, me being there would not have helped with the many tangents.

I actually would have argued for the DS specifically, but that's because I don't own a PSP. It's the system I own the most RPGs, heck, the most games for.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I haven't listened to this yet, but I would pick the PS1. It may have not had the most RPGs of any platform, but to me it had the most fun and memorable.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Ah Nyx, I always love when your in a pod cast I think your always funny and you have such a beautiful voice!!
    As for the best platform, humm, well it is really hard to pick one for sure, I did have lot of fun playing on snes and PS1-2. But latelly it is more handheld that I am having the most fun with and the computer you f&?& MMO, yes WoW I am talking to you!!!!
    And yes Phantasy Star is one of the best serie ever!!

Banned Banned
    ps2 fo shizzle!