Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 38 - The SaGa Begins

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 38 - The SaGa Begins

What were RPGamers looking for Game Boy RPGs in the early 90's to do? The answer involves carnivorous monsters and the deaths of deities, as documented on this episode.
    AKA FF Legend.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    "Get a Grip" is a quality short story by Paul Park. It came out a year before The Truman Show, but covers similar ground. That said, it's different and worth checking out.

The Final Fantasy Legend still has them beat by a few years. In other words, its implied plot is pretty beefy -- we're talking callbacks to Plato's allegory of the cave! Just because the text isn't presented in the game doesn't mean that the ramifications can't spill over into your head, right, man?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    And I still can't stop thinking of all the stuff I could have said in this one, but didn't think about until 30 minutes after it was over, d'oh!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    save it for whenever a SaGa Frontier backtrack happens!

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    This easily might be one of my favourite episodes. This is a series I never got the chance to play and the only experience I have with SaGa is with SaGa Frontier 1 & 2 and what little I played of Unlimited SaGa. I loved the musical selections, and it seems like this series has a lot of real lovers or haters with no in between. I came out of this discussion very intrigued, and there was a lot of amazing insight here as to why may be this series is a touch misunderstood. Would I like these games if I liked SaGa Frontier?

Also, Gaijin sounds like Mac sometimes in this podcast. That amused me very much. I also love when Phil does his badly dubbed hero voice in the skit. Good work guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Would I like these games if I liked SaGa Frontier?
    Yes x 5000

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Someday I'll need to drag my copies of Final Fantasy Legend and Legend 2 out and play them some more. I'm amazed that I never sat down and completed them...

Macstorm must not have listened, as he hasn't complained about the FFL3 bashing yet!

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I haven't listened to it in full either yet, but if there was FFL3 bashing, then it was unfair and full of lies! I mentioned that I need to play FFL1 and 2 more in particular because FFL3 was the only one I've seen the ending of, since it was the best of the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by twinbahamut View Post
    since it was the best of the trilogy.
    filthy lies

I played FF Legend 1-3 all quite a bit. While I liked the first two games, they had a lot of features that I'd now consider frustrating. (Few indications of what needs to be done next, the random elements of monster transformations and mutant powers, and items which stop working after so many uses.) I liked the third game a bit less -- almost every random battle seemed slow.

In the last decade or so, I've played the FFL games just a little -- 15 or 30 minutes at a time. The original carts still work, but they're not currently all that compelling.

I have heard no indication that Square Enix intends to translate the DS remakes of FFL2-3. I suspect the company didn't think it would be worth the expense. DS software sales have been decreasing, and it's distressing just how many fans choose to emulate or use flash carts. I wonder if there's any chance that the remakes will be optimized for 3DS and professionally translated... Well, at least one of the two has a full fan translation.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Yeah, Caddy...I agree with you. They're not compelling games these days.... even when I look through them with my rose colored glasses of old age. Still, back in the day...they were cool.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    I would've had more to say than (hopefully) amusing interjections, but my Game Boy as a child time was primarily spent with Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. Some Tetris too, but nothing even remotely RPG.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Saga Frontier FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37h9k-069wI

Henshin! ALKAISER!!!

I hope SE release it here on PSN. Yep the 3 Gameboy Sagas where awesome and I hope they get remade the same way as FF PSP remakes.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    I would've had more to say than (hopefully) amusing interjections, but my Game Boy as a child time was primarily spent with Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. Some Tetris too, but nothing even remotely RPG.
    Ah, Wario Land... my third most rented GB title after FFL2 and the Final Fantasy Adventure