Thread: ESRB Hints at Lufia & Parasite Eve on Consoles

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

ESRB Hints at Lufia & Parasite Eve on Consoles

What do Parasite Eve and Lufia share? They're both RPGs, they're both expensive on eBay, and they're both bound for release in virtual form soon.

Story.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    If at first you don't succeed at "re-imagining" a series, try try again by just porting the original games instead.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I want... correction... need to get Lufia 1 when it comes out on the Virtual Console. It is the game I have wanted to get on the Virtual Console ever since I first heard about the service. If there is one SNES game I regret never seeing through to the end, it is Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'd honestly rather have Lufia on the PSN, but I guess PE is a good sub.

Not that it matters, I have the games and the means to play them already. Man, I miss SNES cart design, those things were cool.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Nice to see Lufia on the way, wasn't expecting that to ever show up here.

Hmmm... I already have PE 1... I want 2. Although, I guess it would be nice to have a digi-copy of it instead of using my ancient discs. Hopefully if they have any sense, they'll have them both out before PE 3 comes. But I know they won't... ~_~

Lufia CAN'T be on PSN. It was an SNES title before anything else... And the remake was done (BADLY I might add) for the DS, and NOT the PSP. Had it been Sony who had decided to do the reboot, it might have actually been saved, but sadly they chose the DS instead. Then everything went to hell... -_- I'm not saying the DS CAN'T handle remakes well, it's just the idea that they went SOOOO wrong with the remake for Lufia that it hurts to mention that it was ONCE a GOOD game. And this was a remake of the second game so... I don't know much about them but if they try to do the ORIGINAL Lufia and remade it, I'd strongly HOPE they don't try to change what Lufia was into an Action RPG, which it wasn't. Some things just SHOULDN'T be done. And just thinking about how great the DQ remakes are and then seeing Lufia II get turned into... whatever the heck that poor thing was is just plain sad.

Damn... I was hoping that they where going to be new console iterations!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

just give us Suikoden II already

Quote Originally Posted by reionpremente View Post
    Lufia CAN'T be on PSN. It was an SNES title before anything else... And the remake was done (BADLY I might add) for the DS, and NOT the PSP. Had it been Sony who had decided to do the reboot, it might have actually been saved, but sadly they chose the DS instead. Then everything went to hell... -_- I'm not saying the DS CAN'T handle remakes well, it's just the idea that they went SOOOO wrong with the remake for Lufia that it hurts to mention that it was ONCE a GOOD game. And this was a remake of the second game so... I don't know much about them but if they try to do the ORIGINAL Lufia and remade it, I'd strongly HOPE they don't try to change what Lufia was into an Action RPG, which it wasn't. Some things just SHOULDN'T be done. And just thinking about how great the DQ remakes are and then seeing Lufia II get turned into... whatever the heck that poor thing was is just plain sad.
    Well, nothing's stopping SE from publising the old games on PSN, as it's a 3rd party game. The most they'd have to do, likely, is change button prompts, and that's assuming there were any illustrations of the controller, which I don't think there were.

Actually, one of the two Capcom Classics Collections (I forget which) had the SNES game "Super Ghouls and Ghosts, which was pretty awesome.

Lufia isn't on VC already? Heh.

Parasite Eve never looked like my cup of tea, but it's Square-Enix so who knows. Last time I checked a used PS1 copy wasn't that expensive tho.

And yeah, Suikoden 2 on PSN - this should be top priority for Konami. Possibly the best story told in any game but with such a short print-run, few people have had the chance to play this game and it's just a tragedy that makes the holocaust pale in comparison (for me anyway).
    Currently playing:
    Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
    Grand Theft Auto V

I'm not sure why it's not up there yet. Suikoden was one of the first PSOne games to show up on PSN, if I remember right. It's been YEARS since I bought it on the network, II should be out by now.

It's not even on the Japanese PSN, so it may be something on Konami's end, or they're just not releasing it on there for some reason.
    Sure, prices on copies of the actual game will probably go down, but it's a way for Konami to make more money on a masterpiece of a game.

Suikoden II was one of the best games on the PS1, but it also had a terrible localization and was awfully buggy. If I was Konami, I'd be embarrassed to re-release it in its current state... and they're not going to redo the translation for a PSN release.

And that's why I assume it hasn't been re-released yet.

According to this, Parasite Eve will be out Tuesday 3/15. It would be great it Lufia comes out this week too.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    Suikoden II was one of the best games on the PS1, but it also had a terrible localization and was awfully buggy. If I was Konami, I'd be embarrassed to re-release it in its current state... and they're not going to redo the translation for a PSN release.

And that's why I assume it hasn't been re-released yet.
    But the first one was even less polished. I simply think no one has taken the initiative to release it yet, but if people keep on bleating someone might.
    Currently playing:
    Grand Theft Auto V

Quote Originally Posted by Spartakus View Post
    But the first one was even less polished. I simply think no one has taken the initiative to release it yet, but if people keep on bleating someone might.
    I... honestly don't see how somebody could say that. I played through Suikoden 1 & 2 again around a year ago, and Suikoden 1's translation was markedly better than 2's. S1's script was pretty average by early-PSX standards. S2 is filled with grammatical errors and awkward phrasing, not to mention wild abuses of punctuation (just count how many exclamation marks are in the first few scenes). There are also several known game-crashing or freezing bugs and a few songs that don't play properly. There are a handful of lines of text in the game that aren't even translated and just show up as garbage characters. There's also the McDohl naming glitch, and occasionally the characters refer to "Joei" instead of "Jowy." S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG, right up there with Wild Arms 2 and Ar Tonelico 2... (what's up with sequels getting bad translations, anyway?)

S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG
    Go play Divinity 2 and Kingdom Under Fire 2 THEN tell me about grammar errors and bugs...Suikoden 2 will seem flawless compared to those games.

Dunno why some developers struggle more with sequels than others. You can reasonably expect a sequel to improve on the original game in many ways, but sometimes a publisher is just looking for an easy buck and will expect fanboys to ignore the lack of polish. Whatever the reason, you can do far worse than Suikoden 2.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I... honestly don't see how somebody could say that. I played through Suikoden 1 & 2 again around a year ago, and Suikoden 1's translation was markedly better than 2's. S1's script was pretty average by early-PSX standards. S2 is filled with grammatical errors and awkward phrasing, not to mention wild abuses of punctuation (just count how many exclamation marks are in the first few scenes). There are also several known game-crashing or freezing bugs and a few songs that don't play properly. There are a handful of lines of text in the game that aren't even translated and just show up as garbage characters. There's also the McDohl naming glitch, and occasionally the characters refer to "Joei" instead of "Jowy." S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG, right up there with Wild Arms 2 and Ar Tonelico 2... (what's up with sequels getting bad translations, anyway?)
    Speaking of Wild Arms 2...I'm still waiting for a remake. Wild Arms 1 got one, so why not 2?

My copies have been collecting dust for years so I don't remember the localizations in detail, I just recall an overall impression of S1 having less polish. In particular I remember all the copies I tried had this flimmering on top or bottom of the screen, but Idk if that was the case with the American edition or if it's on the PSN release.

If the fans have a choice between a bad translation and no game at all, I think it's an easy one to make. Fan translations should be no impossibility either.
    Currently playing:
    Grand Theft Auto V