Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV Servers Shut Down

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar

Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV Servers Shut Down

The devastation in Japan has led to electricity being in short supply. To help out with the conservation efforts, Square Enix decided to shut down FFXI and FFXIV temporarily.

Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV Servers Shut Down

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    It's still hard for me to wrap my head around the extent of the devastation out there.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Why doesn't Square Enix use backup servers in the United States and Western Eurasia until Japan's electrical system is back in order?

That will take the stress of the servers in Eastern and Northern Japan as well as continue their online gaming business.

It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper but isn't practical. That would have required a level of sheer insane (expensive) redundancy, on the off chance a massive natural disaster hits Japan?

I will miss playing FFXI for a week or two but I think people's lives are more important than an online game. That earthquake in Japan was terrible...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

She Shoots For The Stars Moderator maryadavies's Avatar
    Same here. I don't know how many people play FFXI here but a suggestion. We are getting April free, since they're not charging us for that as a apology. So a idea: Donate that 14 bucks to a charity that is actually helping with the relief effort.

I'm praying for them too. ^^

My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

i donated $10 to the red cross the other day. that is a good idea by maryadavies, so hopefully more people will do that with the extra $14 they have in april.

Quote Originally Posted by maryadavies View Post
    That's a fantastic idea. I will definitely donate money. I will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers, too. I wish I were qualified to help in ways other than modest fiscal ones.

Ron and I donated, it's a wonderful idea. We're keeping everyone in our thoughts and prayers. My oldest even donated from her babysitting fund.

It's hardly surprising that this would have a negative impact on the Japanese gaming industry as well. I know some people in Tokyo, where most of it is located, and they tell me that even though the city hasn't been hit directly by anything they still felt the tremors and the city has been in a state of emergency with a complete standstill in public transportation and air traffic, while millions also lost electricity. Needless to say you can't expect game developers to be productive under such conditions and I worry about how it will affect the highly anticipated releases from Japan this year. At the moment people in Tokyo are trying to get back to normal, but at the same time experts on nuclear technology worldwide seem to consider a meltdown as likely, and who knows then.

As far as gamers are concerned, there could hardly be a worse place for a natural disaster.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

So the English servers of FF IX/XIV are hosted in Japan too? That's weird.

There are no English servers. They are all shared worldwide.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    So the English servers of FF IX/XIV are hosted in Japan too? That's weird.
    there are only Global servers and yes they are located in Japan. I've played with JP players a few times...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Hm, I never played those Final Fantasy games, but with other MMORPGs I noticed that I can only play those with servers in Europe (where I live) lag-free. If they only have one server hosted in Japan, isn't there a lot lag for non-Japanese? That's why I was surprised.

there isn't only one server for the whole game. there are many servers. and no, there isn't any lag for non-japanese. at least in FFXI. the only time i've experienced lag is when i had slow internet. in FFXIV, though, i don't really have any lag there either as long as i keep my settings low. i only get lag when i play with higher settings cause of how graphically heavy it is.

New Member New Registered User
    Hm, I never played those Final Fantasy games, but with other MMORPGs I noticed that I can only play those with servers in Europe (where I live) lag-free. If they only have one server hosted in Japan, isn't there a lot lag for non-Japanese? That's why I was surprised.
    Lag is due to user end issues such as not meeting specs to run the game under certain configurations or bad drivers, the word you want is latency. FFXI was built to run on a 56k connection so unless you are playing on satellite internet you are fine.

A lot of people seem to be confusing things like user interface lag, connection latency, and bandwidth...

What many people are referring to as "lag" is how long it takes for a signal to get from your computer to the server. In the case of FFXI and FFXIV, yes, there is significant latency from a typical US computer to one of SE's servers in Japan. A lot of people don't notice it because FFXI's interface isn't incredibly responsive in the first place, and a lot of players have become so used to it that they never even notice it.

For example, let's say that you're in San Antonio. It's about 10,500 km to Japan. The speed of light through optic fiber cable is about 200,000 km/s. If you had a straight line of fiber running to Japan, the absolute fastest that it's physically possible for your signal to get there would be in about 53 ms. In order to observe any change in the game, though, after your signal gets to the server, the server's update has to get back to you, so you're looking at a bare minimum of about 106 ms in order to be able to see a change you've made in the game world.

Of course, that's assuming you've got a straight fiber optic cable. In the real world, your signal's going to zig-zag back and forth through different routing hubs, some of which may be using slower media than fiber optics, and your signal could also get further delayed due to congestion. In the end, you're looking at at least an extra 110 ms worth of latency that no Japanese player will ever have to deal with.

This has caused some pretty annoying problems in the online FF games in the past; the UI is heavily tied to the server, and opening or closing most menus and dialog boxes requires interaction with the server, so there is a slight lag to almost everything you do. In the past, it's also caused problems with players who were camping the spawn points for high-demand rare monsters; frequently, Japanese players would be able to claim the monster before it even appeared on American's monitors. I've heard they've put in some sort of measures since then to give everybody an equal chance, but I haven't played FFXI in a long time, so I don't know.
    Last edited by Minneyar; 03-14-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Slightly more accurate numbers.

the only time i've ever had any lag issues was when aht urghan first came out, and everyone and their mother was in whitegate. i simply couldn't go there because there was so much traffic i would just R0 and disconnect. though that is not the case anymore; my hp is always in whitegate and there isn't as much traffic there anymore. the only other issue i've experienced is during besieged, when there are a lot of people surrounding a certain area. it has made it difficult to target generals to spam them with spells. though, the last few i've done that hasn't been the case either. mostly due to the lower numbers.

but in any case, there's more then one server. if we all were on one server, it'd be so overly crowded people would just keep getting disconnected as in when everyone went to whitegate when it first appeared. in midgardsormr's last days as a world server, there were so few people on it that it was fast everywhere and i had no problem seeing everything.

I echo the sentiments of my fellow FFXI(/FFXIV) players above, and find the donation of what would be been my april fees to be a great idea! Seeing this thread actually lifted my spirits considering the last news item I read concerning the server shutdown had a long list of commenters being very negative (this was on a third party gaming, etc. news site). Anyone who's actually angry over the server shutdown really should take a step back and do some introspection.

All their servers being in Japan has never struck me as odd or unfair--the development of anything to do with FFXI pretty much always starts in Japan, and all the people who work on the game itself (besides localization or PR) are in Japan. And as much as they've tried to promote cooperation and community across different nationalities of players (say what you will about how that goes), it is a Japanese game first, if only for the facts stated above. I've never minded the servers being how they are, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah the latency is there and depending on the circumstances you can see it plain as day, but they at least did a good job of minimizing the impact on gameplay (once they patched claiming, that is). Though a small splitting of hairs, "most menus" don't require connectivity to merely open them but making any change at all (or clicking any NPC/object), certainly.

When you have a poor connection is when the servers being so long-distance gets really annoying--casting getting interrupted because you hit the macro/spell before you stopped running server-side even though on your end you stopped before you tried to cast, or a monster aggroing you when it's not in range or facing the right way because its position is different server-side than it is your side. I wouldn't know how much that is affected by the servers being halfway around the world, but I assume that it doesn't help! I amuse myself with using heavy lag, if I get it, to set my main and sub jobs to the same job. It just tickles me to run around town as a "RDM90/ ."
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Japanese have a distinct advantage for seeing things first for claiming and such. To this day, the only HNM (endgame monster) claim I've had that's been highly contested was when I was Tokyo. ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell