Thread: Final Fantasy VI Heading to European Virtual Console

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Final Fantasy VI Heading to European Virtual Console

Whether you still insist on calling the game "Final Fantasy III," or have accepted the original title, the SNES version is coming soon to your Wii's Virtual Console. That is, if you live in Europe.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Do remake SE! Do a remake like FFI,FFII and FFIV+After Years on PSP.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

A wrestling game has already been announced for next Monday, so unless they do a rare double-week we're not going to see this in North America until April 5.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

They still release things on Virtual Console? Didn't know that..

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Do remake SE! Do a remake like FFI,FFII and FFIV+After Years on PSP.
    OH GOD YES. But first, FFIII/FFV combination game for PSP, please!

FFVI has deserved a remake far more than any other game they've given that kind of attention to. And I like FFIV more than it.

Oh well. I'm not getting another version of the exact same game but I hope as many as possible do. Of course given the archaic presentation, I fear most who have not already played the game will have a hard time seeing past its age.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Since Final Fantasy 6 is being released for the European Virtual Consoles before North America, I think Square Enix and Nintendo are treating the world's largest video gaming markets, particularly North America, poorly.

If there was any right whatsoever, Final Fantasy 6 should be released for the North America Virtual Console first, Europe next.

No more excluding North American gamers.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
    If there was any right whatsoever, Final Fantasy 6 should be released for the North America Virtual Console first, Europe next.

What right is that exactly? European gamers are frequently given considerably later release dates and often not given the game at all in relation to North America (any games Atlus pulishes we need to wait/hope for someone else to give to us).

I think its about time Europe finally got a multi-regional publisher who seems to like us for once (see the neat limited editions of stuff). Besides the NA/Europe sections are generally rather separate in these matters. I'd be concentrating on telling the NA departments to get their act together rather than blaming the European ones for nothing more than not being where you are

This is one of the few games where a remake might be appreciated. An exact port (which I imagine this is)? Not really, I've already got one of the other version.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Square Enix gives North America all kinds of games. Europe is lucky if they're told they DON'T HAVE TO IMPORT :/ Maybe check into that first because North America is treated a hell of a lot better. Only thing I can say I'm jealous about Europe is them having the limited edition of FF4 for the psp. I wants that a lot ;_;

I have the GBA release, so I am happy.
    Sincerely,
    Your Dread Lord
    http://homepage.mac.com/cyberskull/M...Medium_Sig.gif
    Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…

Since Final Fantasy 6 is being released for the European Virtual Consoles before North America, I think Square Enix and Nintendo are treating the world's largest video gaming markets, particularly North America, poorly.

This is what Europeans have been saying for decades. If you think North America is treated poorly when compared to Europe you have clearly never been here. Back when Final Fantasy 3/6 was first released on the SNES it wasn't even given an official release in Europe, and neither was FF 1, 2/4, Chrono Trigger, Ys, Phantasy Star, Shining Force - the list goes on and on. The PS1 era was almost just as bad; none of the Lunar games were released, no Tales games, no Valkyrie Profile, no Tactics Ogre, no Dragon Quest VII, no Arc the Lad - again quite a list of great titles many Europeans missed out on. If you were a JRPG fan you'd better be old and rich enough to import, or you were screwed. It got a little more equal with the PS2 era, but the European market still missed out on several big RPG titles like Xenosaga 1 and 3, Suikoden 3, Tales of the Abyss, Grandia 3 and the hack.gu series. Even today a lot of JRPG titles need importing; basically anything published by Atlus or Xseed, which is a pretty good chunk of the available titles outside of the Square-Enix selection. No SMT Devil Survivor, no Radiata Stories, no Ys remakes, none of these titles in stores here. And even when the titles do come, it's usually months after the North American release. Just look at Dragon Quest VI; a European release is announced but the game is already out in the US, and weeks and months are going by.

Of course turning the situation on its head by releasing stuff in Europe and not North America is not helping, it's just as bad just the other way around. Ideally Europe and North America could be treated as one huge market, making it even more tempting to release titles there, and the promise of all that money might lure some titles out of Japan we wouldn't normally see.
    Last edited by Spartakus; 03-17-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking

Rydia of the Mist and Spartakus, since North Americans represent the world's largest video gaming market, notably United States, Canada, and Mexico combined, they should be getting new video game titles and virtual console releases before the European counterparts.

Furthermore, since North America is the largest video gaming market, we should get access to English versions of popular JRPGS.

However, being the world's largest video gaming market doesn't always have the biggest benefits as some in-demand RPGs like Phantasy Star remakes and Uncharted Water series (after "New Horizons") are still only available to the Japanese market with no English translations planned.

I have a better idea. Instead of one international market getting it first, how about all the markets outside the home market get a game at the same time? Now THAT would be cool. You know what would be even cooler? If there was a worldwide distribution network that allowed all countries to access all games. Wouldn't that just beat all?

Sadly, that is not the case. I know that Europe has traditionally had some major distribution issues. I also seem to recall that the localized language requirements for releasing a game in Europe are somewhat steep. I'd imagine that might contribute to some delays as well.

I'd like to see more games following the model of some of the more recent fighting games: everyone--including Japan gets the game at the same time, and it automatically detects what language it should be played in by the language the console is set to. Of course, given the sheer volume of text in an RPG, I doubt that will ever happen.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, it's been happening with some RPGs, but I think it takes a company with the resources of Square Enix to manage that feat.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Rydia of the Mist and Spartakus, since North Americans represent the world's largest video gaming market, notably United States, Canada, and Mexico combined, they should be getting new video game titles and virtual console releases before the European counterparts.

Furthermore, since North America is the largest video gaming market, we should get access to English versions of popular JRPGS.

However, being the world's largest video gaming market doesn't always have the biggest benefits as some in-demand RPGs like Phantasy Star remakes and Uncharted Water series (after "New Horizons") are still only available to the Japanese market with no English translations planned.
    If we're going to talk in terms of shoulds, don't you think everyone should have easy access to any game they can pay for? I don't see how it serves anyone's interests to withold or delay games, other than retailers who make money on selling to importers. Just the other day I got a mail from videogamesplus.ca telling me about new RPGs they had in store without a European release date. Don't get me wrong; I love Videogamesplus, but that's money that could have gone to local retailers, local paychecks and local economic growth. It's the same when Americans import from Zavvi or Play-Asia.

I'm not sure about the biggest market thing. Europe has several hundred million more people (830 million), so the potential is far greater, but as EmeraldSuzaku pointed out distribution can require more work. My own personal opinion is that continental Europeans need to get with the times and learn English, but try telling that to German or French authorities. It's a lose-lose situation for British, Dutch, Scandinavian and East European gamers, who have to wait for localizations in French, German, Spanish and Italian despite having to play the American translation anyhow.

And yeah like you say there are lots of great games in Japan that just aren't localized at all, and my point was; if Europe and North America was treated as one huge 1 billion people market, the incentive to localize more games would be greater, as even niche titles might sell a million copies.
    Last edited by Spartakus; 03-18-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    Currently playing:

I honestly don't see how FFVI would benefit much from a remake. The graphics are quite polished for sprite graphics. The only thing I think that could be artistically revamped are maybe the mode 7 graphics, especially certain scenes such as the magitek factory cart ride, which is fugly.

Other than that, I think upgrading the graphics to FFVI would make it lose some of its original charm.

To themoose: Europe did not gt FF VI til it was remade for the Playstation. They got Etrian Odyssey 1 but never 2-3. And many other games. Yes North America is a huge gaming market but seriously? Europe getting game on the VC before us, especially when I can find the Snes one for $18, Ps1 for $15 and GBA one for $10, is not that big of a deal. North America is not treated ****ty at all :/ Europe is. Just keep in mind we have and probably always will unless they decide to finally be nice and give Europe a fair chance so they don't have to import, be treated better. North America is not treated ****ty at all. We are pretty darn lucky with what we have

Quote Originally Posted by Typho View Post
    I honestly don't see how FFVI would benefit much from a remake. The graphics are quite polished for sprite graphics. The only thing I think that could be artistically revamped are maybe the mode 7 graphics, especially certain scenes such as the magitek factory cart ride, which is fugly.

Other than that, I think upgrading the graphics to FFVI would make it lose some of its original charm.
    It won't lose any charm at all because it will look very awesome like all the PSP remakes. The graphics where the best in the 16 bit era like Chrono Trigger and aged well but nothing beat a hi-res detailed remake. I remember that details where lost in the SNES version because the darkened colors etc etc.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.