Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 40 - Have Gun, Will Travel by Dragon

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 40 - Have Gun, Will Travel by Dragon

In its last rush of games for the Saturn, Sega's localizers put forth a title that has seen its value rise to a stratospheric level. We discuss its many merits, in an effort to help explain why acquiring the game may well be worth the eBay price.
    Abbreviated: PDS.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    After listening to you guys talk about it, I almost wish I had a Saturn. This is definitely one game that needs to be on one of the re-releases. Maybe have hope. I'm seeing Dreamcast games being release on Steam!

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    I'm seeing Dreamcast games being release on Steam!
    After watching Sega constantly repackage all their Genesis hits for every platform known to man, I'm really hoping they'll do the same with the Dreamcast. To be honest, the opening salvo I found to be a little lackluster :\
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I'm still surprised that the first Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK games haven't received any ports off of the Dreamcast.

I love backtrack and can't wait to listen to this. I finally got a Saturn again last Dec. I plan on getting PDS soon but I don't wanna listen to this until after I play it. This is one expierence I don't want spoiled. I'm bidding on one right now but don't intend to get until may unless I can't get for a great price. Lol "great price" is sub 200.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KisakiProject View Post
    I love backtrack and can't wait to listen to this. I finally got a Saturn again last Dec. I plan on getting PDS soon but I don't wanna listen to this until after I play it. This is one expierence I don't want spoiled. I'm bidding on one right now but don't intend to get until may unless I can't get for a great price. Lol "great price" is sub 200.
    Best of luck with that, that's going to be tough to do.

Kisaki, I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast!! We love to hear from people. And, I think you'll really enjoy the skit on this show. Good luck on the 'good price' part though...that's a TOUGH game to get.

Yeah. If I can't get it for sub $200 by may around my b-day I'm willing to go all out. I think the average I see it go for is $230. Given how much I love Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei, Orta & 32 but Jrpgs it seems worth it to me. I figure worse case scenario I beat it and its not as great as I was expecting. You can always sell it back. The price doesn't depreciate. I got this episode bookmarked for when I finally get it.

Just make sure if you sell it back you do so before they release a PSN or Steam emulation or something. That would stink if they did that right before you tried to sell it. I remember getting rid of PS2 Marvel Vs Capcom 2 before it came on PSN. Got about $80. Now it's worth about half.

If they were going to start releasing Saturn games on modern platforms, I would expect that they would start with Night into Dreams, or something more popular and accessible than PDS. That way there is some warning.

I wouldn't argue with a rerelease of PDS, even though I was lucky enough to buy it off the shelf new, and still have a copy. It just means that more people get to play it, which is a good thing.

One notable characteristic of this game that I don't think received enough attention is just how cohesive the world is. In most RPGs, there are so many things out of place that we hardly notice. Everything from enemies that make no sense, or are out of place (monster motorcycles?, giant dragons in tiny caves) and cities or other grand structures that just don't fit.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    One notable characteristic of this game that I don't think received enough attention is just how cohesive the world is. In most RPGs, there are so many things out of place that we hardly notice. Everything from enemies that make no sense, or are out of place (monster motorcycles?, giant dragons in tiny caves) and cities or other grand structures that just don't fit.
    That's a fair point. In PDS the enemies make look strange, but they fit the environment you fight them in. I think, like we discussed on the show, a lot of what is great about this game comes from the fact that the development team was used to creating games for other genres.

Its nearly impossible to emulate Saturn. So I seriously doubt that would ever happen. Also per Sega the original source code for this game is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by KisakiProject View Post
    Its nearly impossible to emulate Saturn. So I seriously doubt that would ever happen. Also per Sega the original source code for this game is lost.
    Except that there is a quite functional emulator out there already. And if *fans* can do it, then the company who made the bloody thing certainly can. And even if they lost their original source code files, they can still take the full game and reverse engineer them

So it's entirely feasible to do, but they're unlikely to want to put forth the effort. Which is a shame, really.

Doesn't that emulator require a modern gaming PC to run without stuttering like mad?

Good show, gents. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to hold off until the inevitable re-release since I'm allergic to paying more than $60 for games.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I share your affliction, Shaymin.

Think of the net cost to play PDS. If you don't have a Saturn, then you have the cost of the system + the cost of the game + shipping - price of selling the game (assuming you can bring yourself to sell it). Assuming no price shock between when you buy and sell the game, the actual price of the game isn't that relevant, since it can be reclaimed.

I'm an accountant. And that side of my brain tells me that your logic is flawless, XR2. Yet, the other side of the brain causes my hand to freeze every time I reach for the wallet. It's an affliction I tell ya!!!

I think what I should do is build a small business by renting out rare RPGs. Gamefly, but with better disc protection. Would you pay $15 / month to have access to a collection of rare RPGs on a rental basis?

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    What Saturn games has Sega ever acknowledged the existence of since the system's death? The company seems to do its best to ignore the system's existence, or else a lot of other titles that are exclusive to it would have seen the light of day elsewhere. Barring a radical rethinking by Sega's executives, don't expect the poor maligned Saturn to receive any more attention than it currently does. The last spark of interest was with a couple of the Sega Ages games, and that was back in the PS2's heyday.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.