Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Atelier Meruru Details Surface

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

First Atelier Meruru Details Surface

The first bits of information on the latest game in the long-running Atelier series has been revealed. Why Rorona looks like a kid is not one of them, but the Japanese won't have to wait long to find out.

Story
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

Banned Banned
    i would like it if they didn't abuse the atelier name. atelier iris is the one and only atelier seris i'll give a punt to.

Abuse? You realize there were many Atelier games before the Iris series, and that series is the least like any of the other Atelier games before and after, right?

Quote Originally Posted by otakudensetsu View Post
    i would like it if they didn't abuse the atelier name. atelier iris is the one and only atelier seris i'll give a punt to.
    I have no idea how to respond to this.

This completely blows my mind.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Um, yeah, seriously? This is the thirteenth Atelier title, EXcluding the Iris games.

Why does she look like a kid? Because only kids play video games, obviously. That's why every game ever needs an obnoxious kid character and a cute mascot.

Except she really should be in her mid-twenties or older by this point.

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungyin View Post
    Abuse? You realize there were many Atelier games before the Iris series, and that series is the least like any of the other Atelier games before and after, right?
    i realize that but none of them were as popular as the iris series and now they are just milking the atelier name.

Do you have any evidence to support any of that? Atelier Rorona did so well in its first month that it was actually selling out in stores across Japan. All three of the DS titles did well for themselves as well.

If anything, the changes made for the Iris series would count as "milking the name" more than anything else, as those were intended as more traditional RPGs with the name attached.

Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otakudensetsu View Post
    i realize that but none of them were as popular as the iris series and now they are just milking the atelier name.
    Got any evidence? Like sales numbers?

EDIT: You beat me to it Gaijin.

Meruru promotional image.
    Last edited by flamethrower; 03-24-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Banned Banned
    the iris series is marketed to males as opposed to other atelier games which are marketed towards females. the male gaming market is a lot bigger, i work at a gamestop and i have accounted first hand evidence of this fact, is that good enough?

You have evidence that extends only to the US audience and does not take into account Japanese sales, then.

From Wikipedia:
    Atelier Rorona sold quickly in Akihabara on its first day of release, and by 1:00 pm, the majority of the district's stores were sold out of the limited edition release.[17] This is because the majority of the stores reserved a limited amount of copies for regular sales to meet pre-order demands.[17] The game was the third best-selling title and sold 43,000 copies between June 22 and June 28, 2009.[18] It dropped to the ninth highest, selling 11,000 copies for the following week.[19] According to public sales information published by Gamasutra, Atelier Rorona was the best-selling PlayStation 3 title on the Japanese Amazon website for the week ending on July 9, 2009.[20] The game dropped to the second highest the following week ending on July 17, 2009,[21] marking its final appearance in the ranking; overall estimates from this time put Rorona at or near 70,000 copies sold, with low-level sales continuing since. This makes Atelier Rorona the fastest and best selling title in the franchise since at least Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana. In December 2009, developer and publisher Gust noted that the company was pleased with Atelier Rorona's sales, because of the overall sales exceeding 130,000 copies in Japan. Atelier Rorona fared well in the West, increasing its sales to world 200,000 copies, very good numbers for the generation HD RPG.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 03-24-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Banned Banned
    and how did the game review?
    Last edited by otakudensetsu; 03-24-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: retracted pwned

Excellently, in Japan.

On this site? Eternal Mana - 4.0, 2.5, 3.5 Rorona - 4.5, and I'd have given it the same for the Japanese version.

And seriously, if "pwned" is your idea of how best to end an argument, then we need to work on your skills in social discourse.

Banned Banned
    hmm, i seem to recall it getting a lower score... not pwned not pwned, retract pwned. i still prefer iris though.

What it comes down to is that there are fundamental differences in style between the Iris, Arland, and DS series, with the latter two being much closer to what made the series popular in the first place. To say that Gust is milking the success of a side-series that's not even in step with the rest of the franchise in terms of style, that's a bit of hyperbole that just makes one sound like a troll, and downplays the quirky qualities that some of us have come to enjoy in Gust games.

The screenshots are out btw.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Banned Banned
    i like how gust made mana khemia, it was kind of like atelier iris 4 and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    The screenshots are out btw.
    The screenshots are in the next Japandemonium. Putting it up tonight, my time.

Check the gamepage if you can't wait till then.

I saw them already and the game looks no that different from Torori but still looks good. I hope Gust use this kind of look in other games. I hope they make another no time based JRPG.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.