Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XSEED Tells a Tale of Wizardry and Lost Souls

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

XSEED Tells a Tale of Wizardry and Lost Souls

Have a craving for first-person dungeon crawls filled with beautiful sprite art? If so, a game with a certain legendary name might be what you are looking for.

[Link]

How long has it been since the last stateside Wizardry game? =P

Heck, wasn't it American in the first place? How did this happen?

Eh, I'm looking forward to it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Asuyuka View Post
    How long has it been since the last stateside Wizardry game? =P

Heck, wasn't it American in the first place? How did this happen?

Eh, I'm looking forward to it XD
    I believe the last American-developed Wizardry game was Wizardry 8 waaaaaaay back in 2001. I know we've gotten at least one Wizardry game since then, but I think that was JP-developed.

As to how? Once the Japanese got a hold of Wizardry, they apparently freaking loved it and just ran with it. There have been more Wizardry releases in Japan than the US. At least, if you count both US and JP-only titles.

What is really interesting is the relatively recent explosion of Wizardry-styled games of late, such as the Etrian Odyssey series and Class of Heroes.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    What is really interesting is the relatively recent explosion of Wizardry-styled games of late, such as the Etrian Odyssey series and Class of Heroes.
    With those and all the Roguelikes, it seems the Japanese love some classic PC-RPG style games.

I'm happy to reap the benefits of this. Perhaps in another ten years Japanese developers will be making Baldur's Gate clones?

Nice, will pick up for sure. I really enjoyed the one on the PS2, haven't got to play the PC games but would like to.

If XSEED keeps going the way they are they might exceed Atlus as my favorite JRPG publisher.

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    FWIW even Class of Heroes was supposed to be a Wizardry game but they couldn't get the license.

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    As to how? Once the Japanese got a hold of Wizardry, they apparently freaking loved it and just ran with it. There have been more Wizardry releases in Japan than the US. At least, if you count both US and JP-only titles.
    Wasn't Wizardry credited with kick starting Dragon Quest or JRPGs in general?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Wasn't Wizardry credited with kick starting Dragon Quest or JRPGs in general?
    Wizardry and Ultima. DQ took the open world in Ultima and combined it with the battle system from Wizardry, simplifying and streamlining both in the process.

The way Wizardry thrived in Japan interests me because, again, Japan is stuck in what an RPG was in the 80s. By the end of its run, the NA-developed Wizardrys had dropped the rigid tile-based dungeons, had branching paths in the story, and an open world setup not unlike other WRPGs at the time. Meanwhile, Wizardry in Japan still means tile-based dungeons, turn-based combat, and little-to-no story. I like those types of games and am glad XSEED is bringing them over, but it's funny to me that Wizardry in 2011 has lots in common with Wizardry 1 (1980-ish) and almost nothing in common with Wizardry 8 (2001).
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    Wizardry and Ultima. DQ took the open world in Ultima and combined it with the battle system from Wizardry, simplifying and streamlining both in the process.

The way Wizardry thrived in Japan interests me because, again, Japan is stuck in what an RPG was in the 80s. By the end of its run, the NA-developed Wizardrys had dropped the rigid tile-based dungeons, had branching paths in the story, and an open world setup not unlike other WRPGs at the time. Meanwhile, Wizardry in Japan still means tile-based dungeons, turn-based combat, and little-to-no story. I like those types of games and am glad XSEED is bringing them over, but it's funny to me that Wizardry in 2011 has lots in common with Wizardry 1 (1980-ish) and almost nothing in common with Wizardry 8 (2001).
    What interests me is that they took games that are more about the player than the overall story, for the most part, and ran in the complete other direction. There ARE still Wizardry and Wizardry-like games, but looking at where the JRPG started (with Wizardry, Ultima, and D&D) and where it is now, it's a rather interesting divergence.

Ya know, as interested as I am, my biggest problem seems to be that if you look at the first picture, the kid with the axe is supposed to be a dwarf! WHAT?! Dwarves are meant to be short, stocky, and heavy! Not this moe crap!!! Japan, get your fetishes out of my favorite mythical race!!

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliya Moroumetz View Post
    Ya know, as interested as I am, my biggest problem seems to be that if you look at the first picture, the kid with the axe is supposed to be a dwarf! WHAT?! Dwarves are meant to be short, stocky, and heavy! Not this moe crap!!! Japan, get your fetishes out of my favorite mythical race!!
    Tolkien dwarves are supposed to be short, stocky, and heavy. I'm pretty sure that is a divergence from even the very myths that Tolkien drew inspiration from. The dwarves of Norse myth may very well be indistinguishable from the idea of "dark elves", depending on sources and interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Tolkien dwarves are supposed to be short, stocky, and heavy. I'm pretty sure that is a divergence from even the very myths that Tolkien drew inspiration from. The dwarves of Norse myth may very well be indistinguishable from the idea of "dark elves", depending on sources and interpretation.
    True as that may be, I somehow doubt that the dwarves that Tolkien got inspiration from were anything like this.

If it's any consolation, the male Dwarf is tall, burly and bearded (and according to his backstory, is a rare member of his species who prefers flowers and trees to rocks). ALSO not very Tolkien-esque, but certainly NOT "moe."

The character designs in this game are actually really diverse and interesting, IMHO. And the art itself is drop-dead gorgeous.

-Tom

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliya Moroumetz View Post
    True as that may be, I somehow doubt that the dwarves that Tolkien got inspiration from were anything like this.
    Probably not, but it's hard to tell at this point. Dwarves as mythological beings came from both Norse mythology and German folklore, and there are dwarf-type earth beings in many mythologies/folklores all over the world. Just as it's perfectly acceptable to go back to Celtic/Gaelic mythology and portray elves very differently than Tolkein did, it's perfectly acceptable to make dwarves that conform to different standards as well. I rather like it when games mix fantasy races up a bit.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

The closest thing we had as a Dwarf in real life was the Neanderthals... Now 1 species of humans remains... But yeah this game artwork are very attractive like the pirate ladies, Elf archer ladies and other well drawn female characters that gives these games a different appeal from the American versions.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

For what it's worth, I admit that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, here. I've been thinking about getting a game like this for a while and I agree the art is colorful and, hopefully, lively when we get a chance to play it.

Any idea what the pricing is going to be? Since it's a digital only release, I'm hoping it'll be a little cheaper than normal.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Wow PSN has been doing an excellent job bringing in some great games lately. I am currently enjoying Legend of Mana this week, and soon I'll be able to play this game as well. Alongside those awesome adventure games from Telltale games like back to the future, Sam and Max and the Monkey Island series, the PSN has finally lived up to its potential imo as a great alternative to get fantastic PS3 games. Now I'm just waiting for Chrono Cross to come over to the PSN stateside and I'll be extremely content.

Hmm. All of this talk of the differences between Western and Eastern Wizardry titles caused me to go download the W8 demo at FilePlanet.

The only games left from downloadable PS3 games (non PS1) are Dark Mist and Malicious.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.