Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 170: "Smugleafs in the Library"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 170: "Smugleafs in the Library"

RPGCast - Episode 170: "Smugleafs in the Library"

Diablo with body parts, iOS ports of bad games, and cool video game auctions make up the brunt of today's show. Random Encounters is back too, rounding out the week's festivities.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/170

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Smugleafs in the Library"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

The description alone makes me sad I missed this week.

Banned Banned
    i have to say that the ps2 generation of consoles were the best. the graphics were good, the dungeons were good. you could get a 2d turn based rpg or a 3d action rpg. that's one thing i really liked; how they were able to play around with the battle systems. final fantasy 12 and wild arms 4/5 are a good example of rpg experimentation. tales of the abyss is a battle system i'll never get tired of and has only improved in newer tales games.

my top 3 fav rpg's on ps2 are: dark cloud 2, radiata stories and shining force exa. one had random dungeons one had no dungeons (except for a final dungeon and optional dungeon) and one had massive dungeon fields loaded with enemies. so to say i prefered turn based rpg's of the 90's would be incorrect, i obviously like being able to smash and bash the crap out of enemies and collect my experience.

there were some good classic rpg's on the ps2 as well: persona 3&4, gust games and xenosaga 1-3. the ps2 had it all, but there are still good rpg's on todays consoles, like star ocean 4, tales of vesperia, the last remnant and magna carta 2 that have exploration and side quests. then there are some rpg's that are all graphics and a different battle system with no exploration, like resonance of fate and ff13. i think the amount of time a game spends in development is the same so the devs work mostly on graphics and then try to fit everything else in.

in closing i'll add that strategy rpg's should be unaffected by modern technicalities, so maybe we'll see some quality in that category. also, the wii should have more rpg's, why have the last 3 nintendo home consoles had very few full fledged rpgs?

btw, i've never played a western rpg and i don't want to either.

What RPGs lack today is the passion of the creators and a bit of classiness. There's no more over-dramatic scenes where a character dies and the other suffers deeply and wants revenge then they punch the villain breaking several wall behind him. Or the hero bleeding to death and still walking leaving a trail of bloods and then... You know a exiting story that keep you hooked, game play mechanics that are not over complicated and yet entertaining and a touching OST.

BTW You did great for a very slow week.
    Last edited by LordKaiser; 03-26-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

That part about CNN saying the 3DS wasn't as powerful as the PS3 is actually real.
    Face, meet palm.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

My favorite part is that he keeps comparing it to the iPhone and iPod. Also, lol at the "we haven't seen a stylus since the Palms in the early 2000's"

Though, I'm not sure why you're lolling at the not as powerful as the PS3 statement, unless it's just because he's comparing it to a console....
    Last edited by EmeraldSuzaku; 03-26-2011 at 05:14 PM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    *Laughs* See, this is why you should never ever ever get your video game information from the mainstream.

And the 3DS'll do just fine, mainly because it's going to have better software, at the very least Nintendo will make sure to make some good stuff for it.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSuzaku View Post
    My favorite part is that he keeps comparing it to the iPhone and iPod. Also, lol at the "we haven't seen a stylus since the Palms in the early 2000's"

Though, I'm not sure why you're lolling at the not as powerful as the PS3 statement, unless it's just because he's comparing it to a console....
    Quin said it best on the show - "No *censored*, sherlock".
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Seriously. Amazing that five years and change after the Wii and people still haven't figured out that Nintendo's not following the tech industry trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Ahkay. I've downloaded the show but haven't listened to it yet, so I didn't get to hear his reaction.

Really, what the heck is he doing reviewing video game tech at all? I also loved the "I'm a hardcore gamer, I grew up on Halo." Nothing against Halo but....yeah.....

Ahkay. I've downloaded the show but haven't listened to it yet, so I didn't get to hear his reaction.

Really, what the heck is he doing reviewing video game tech at all? I also loved the "I'm a hardcore gamer, I grew up on Halo." Nothing against Halo but....yeah.....
    Just goes to show how old we all are. *Laughs* Mine was a 2600 and later NES household.

The best thing about the podcast is that it reminded me that I don't have SD Gundam G Generation World. Poop. I focused so much on catching up with my fighters that I neglected my mech strategy games.

I wonder where the phrase "It looks like pants!" comes from ot it was "It state like pants" IDK.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Yeah, that guy is terrible. I have seen a few other vids by him. The most entreating thing to me about that video is that he keeps comparing it to the gameboy, almost like he has never heard of the Nintendo DS in the first place.

In another video he said it was ridiculous that popcap was charging $20 dollars for Bewjeled 3 on macs and PCs when you could buy a 4 year old slimed down version for a dollar on the iPhone. Its like he has now concept that brand new games for PCS/Macs that take a lot of work and development cost more than games that are several years old and greatly slimmed down to work on a phone. LINK

He is so bad at this. His voice and demeanor are really annoying.

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    I wonder where the phrase "It looks like pants!" comes from ot it was "It state like pants" IDK.
    it's from kirby's epic yarn. when kirby first steps into the yarn world, he says, "it feels like pants!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Yeah, guess who forgot the 'No Swearing' rule. Did Chris bleep that one? I was hoping to get away with this.

The best thing about the podcast is that it reminded me that I don't have SD Gundam G Generation World. Poop. I focused so much on catching up with my fighters that I neglected my mech strategy games.
    Go buy nao!

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

On "Highwind" in Final Fantasy:

The name originates note in FFIV but in FFII. While FFII did not feature the signature move Jump, the character Ricard Highwind (spelled Richard in Japan; damn five-letter restrictions) is called a dragoon by the game's storyline. In the GBA version and on, a previously nameless boy he vows to protect is named Kain. Speaking of which, in FFIV DS, brings this full circle since Kain mentions his previously unnamed father: Richard.

The name shows up a third time in FFV. Lenna's and Faris's father is King Alexander Highwind Tycoon. While he is never confirmed as a dragoon, he has dragon themes in his art and he has a wind drake.

Sadly, after Cid Highwind, the name stopped being used for characters... Instead, dragoons began receiving unique surnames: Ward Zabac, Freya Crescent, Kimahri Ronso, Shikaree Z (among other, minor characters in Vana'diel) and Oerba Dia Fang. ...I want a new Highwind.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    it's from kirby's epic yarn. when kirby first steps into the yarn world, he says, "it feels like pants!"
    Oh I see.. Never played Epic's Yarn yet. Did you was a little nervous during the cast?

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    On "Highwind" in Final Fantasy:

Sadly, after Cid Highwind, the name stopped being used for characters... Instead, dragoons began receiving unique surnames: Ward Zabac, Freya Crescent, Kimahri Ronso, Shikaree Z (among other, minor characters in Vana'diel) and Oerba Dia Fang. ...I want a new Highwind.
    you can be a dragoon and name yourself clix highwind in ff14 can't you?

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Oh I see.. Never played Epic's Yarn yet. Did you was a little nervous during the cast?
    did you was a little nervous? are you asking if i was nervous during the cast? if so, then.. no. i've been on the cast lots of times.