Thread: Dungeon Siege III Delayed Until June

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Dungeon Siege III Delayed Until June

Were you looking forward to playing Dungeon Siege III in nearly two months time? We hate to break it to you, but you'll have to wait a month longer than that.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    But I want it now, make it happen Obsidian
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    you remember the last 4 games obsidian rushed? I'm gonna wait.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Huh. A 3 week delay is kinda odd, although April/May are turning into a massive pileup of releases this year. So that might be part of it in addition to polishing. Either that or they're trying to prop up their second quarter of the new fiscal year. Does this fall into the same fiscal quarter as Human Revolution?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I dont't think so.

Fiscal quarter 1 April-June
    Fiscal quarter 2 July-September

A delay could be smart. Games released in May:
    The Witcher 2
    Hunted: The Demon's Forge
    L.A. Noire

It's funny how everyone is avoiding releasing around LA Noire like the plague. Also, isn't June/July when Old Republic is expected to launch?

Not sure, but I don't know if DS3 and and SW:TOR are fighting for the same customers.

The reason people try to avoid the LAN release is because Red Dead Redemption destroyed everything saleswise last year. I guess they don't want that to happen this year.

There is no way The Old Republic will hit in Summer. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that it will be closer to Nov.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    There is no way The Old Republic will hit in Summer. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that it will be closer to Nov.
    Two problems with that. 1) Conflict with ME3's holiday launch. 2) Blizzard will likely have another WoW expansion announced by then.

If they're going to launch Old Republic at an opportune time they're going to want to do it when they have internal resources available to focus on it (crunching on ME3 isn't a good time) and especially not when Blizzard is prepping the WoW Signal to make everyone's branding glow indicating it's time to report back to the mothership for another $40 tribute.

There's also the fact that EA's marketing branch is going to have their hands full with Battlefield 3 if that launches at the holidays against the next CoD installment. I don't think it's EA PR's best interest to be tripping over themselves with a slate of high profile games come the holidays. There's only so many commercial slots available in a day.
    Last edited by shoptroll; 04-07-2011 at 07:48 PM.

The last word I've read on the issue is that The Old Republic will be released in September, but moving the game out of ME3's launch window is a reasonable assumption.

If they're going to launch Old Republic at an opportune time they're going to want to do it when they have internal resources available to focus on it (crunching on ME3 isn't a good time) and especially not when Blizzard is prepping the WoW Signal to make everyone's branding glow indicating it's time to report back to the mothership for another $40 tribute.
    Heh...

Well, there's quite a bit of time between those expansions, plus a lot of people told me they're tired of WoW and wish to move on to The Old Republic, so I don't think it's so simple this time around. Yeah, I wouldn't bet against WoW either, but I think EA is betting on gamers being tired of WoW at this point and I can't say they're making a mistake. Heck, I didn't buy Cataclysm. The mothership can call all it wants.

It's funny how everyone is avoiding releasing around LA Noire like the plague.
    No kidding. I guess everyone thinks it's gonna be a quasi-GTA sequel, but from what I've seen so far, the sleuthing elements strike me as being...off in a way. I'm sure the game will be fine, but it's not a proven property yet.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, I doubt Obdidian is worried about TOR's release, though I don't blame folks for not wanting to release around L.A. Noire. We all know the *real* juggernaut that Obsidian doesn't want to release around, though, and there's a rumour going around the industry that said game could be coming out this summer.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

While I don't want to move away from Dungeon Siege even more, I think people might be forgetting that BioWare Austin is managing The Old Republic. The teams are separate enough that a close release shouldn't interfere too much.

Now back to Dungeon Siege, I'm glad for the delay. More time between RPGs!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    We all know the *real* juggernaut that Obsidian doesn't want to release around, though, and there's a rumour going around the industry that said game could be coming out this summer.
    You mean Torchlight II? (If you're actually referring to the game I'm really thinking of, I'd think we'd have heard about beta tests by now if a summer release was in serious consideration)

Either way, good year for PC based Action RPGs. Kinda weird how that's suddenly this year's zeitgeist. Maybe it's because MOBA (ie. DOTA clones) games are all the rage?

I'm with Mac, delays are a good thing. At the rate I'm going I'm not going to have enough time to start The Witcher before the new one arrives

Damn, I was going to make that joke!

And yes, the delay has freed up May for me. June is a much lighter month. Torchlight was fun but it's been too long since the last great AAA game of this type.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    You mean Torchlight II? (If you're actually referring to the game I'm really thinking of, I'd think we'd have heard about beta tests by now if a summer release was in serious consideration)
    Most likely, we just happened to overhear some devs talking at PAX East about being scared because their release was scheduled for this summer and there were rumblings about Blizzard's sleeping demon awakening at that time.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Damn, I was going to make that joke!

And yes, the delay has freed up May for me. June is a much lighter month. Torchlight was fun but it's been too long since the last great AAA game of this type.
    I, too, was going to make the same joke... Though looking at the way Blizzard handled Starcraft II with betas and release date announcements, it IS possible for summer, but I imagine it would be much later in summer.

EDIT: Back to DS3, I want it more than D3. I've been fine with Obsidian's stuff, regardless of the bugs, so I'm interested to see if working with SE has helped the pest control issue or not.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    I, too, was going to make the same joke... Though looking at the way Blizzard handled Starcraft II with betas and release date announcements, it IS possible for summer, but I imagine it would be much later in summer.

EDIT: Back to DS3, I want it more than D3. I've been fine with Obsidian's stuff, regardless of the bugs, so I'm interested to see if working with SE has helped the pest control issue or not.
    Considering that most of SE's other western-developed games have reportedly had plenty of bugs to go around as well, I wouldn't count on it.

If anything, I would say that the potential saving grace is that there's less that can go wrong with a Dungeon Siege game. It's comparatively simple to their other works, based on an extremely well-defined formula, which should mean a cleaner development process.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!