Thread: Indie Developers Submission FAQ

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Indie Developers Submission FAQ

Due to the sheer number of indie submissions we've been getting lately, we finally have an official policy on Indie title submissions! Read here and discuss!

Aww, I guess that means you won't play Alter AILA Genesis after all (it's not a retail one).

I think you should specify if it's okay to use default RPG Maker graphics or not. I think games that make excessive use of them should not be covered either, because then you'll end up with covering hundreds of games that all look the same.

Sorry, as much as A.I.L.A looks cool, we as a staff made a decision that Freeware titles were there for the purpose of free.

As for RPGMaker, it's all licensed software, so it's not a question of plagiarism there. We don't plan on covering every RPGMaker title, so I don't think your issue is valid here.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Or to put it more formally, a major reason we write reviews is to assist readers with purchasing decisions. Anybody can simply download and play interesting-looking freeware games, so our limited staff time is better spent reviewing retail games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most RPGMaker games are free anyway, right? And we've never reviewed many of them anyway, so I don't think it's a big concern.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Policy looks good, although I think excluding "Freemium" games is going to exclude a number of quality games which are gathering some positive buzz lately. However, I'd rather you guys err on the side of exclusivity (do accepted entrants get a special lounge jacket or anything) than overburdening yourselves with a large amount of chaff. There are plenty of other sites/blogs that specialize in indie games and if you guys set a bar higher than them that's not a huge deal I think. Especially, as Ocelot points out, you guys do reviews to aid in purchasing decisions.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

There's a whole slew of paid RPGMaker games and free RPGMaker games, so in that case, it's more of what's paid and interesting there.

Also, I'm sure we could do a feature at some point showcasing the best of the freeware stuff, but like shoptroll pointed out, there's blogs that already do this. Freeware games exist for free, and since we're trying to aid people in purchasing decisions, it's more wise to focus more on the paid items. If people come across awesome freeware games, that's what the Indie Thread I made in the Roleplaying Forum is specifically for. It's not that we want to exclude them, it's more were here to help aid in purchasing games, and like I said, the freeware scene, while there's a lot of quality stuff, there's also so much plagiarism that truthfully, might not be good to be a part of.

I don't really see that point about being able to just download freeware games too plausible. The indie scene isn't like the retail scene where people have trouble deciding between 3-5 games which they should buy. The indie scene is a pile of 10000000 games of which about 200 games are really good must-play games, deciding on buying them isn't as much as a problem as hearing about them at all is. Besides most indie retail games offer a demo, so not being able to download and try them does not apply to them either...

Of course I understand that you need to limit yourself to something, so I'm not actually complaining, just saying that it's kind of sad that some really good games will be missed out on by many people, because seriously, how many people will actually play a game that I posted in some random thread here on the forums? I can be lucky if 1 or 2 try it. Coverage on the main page will reach more than 10000 people (rough estimate).

And yes I know that using RPG Maker graphics doesn't count as plagiarism, but it's still something that can get on your nerves after a while being in the indie scene (if every game uses the same graphics). If you don't plan on covering many RPG Maker games, there won't be many games left either.

But I'm actually happy that you even decided to take indie games more serious. Because of you I heard about Whisper of a Rose after all, which is really amazing and not covered on any of those "Indie RPG" websites you were referring to.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, if it helps, just use "we have limited staff time and this is where we drew the line" as our reasoning instead.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Like I said, it's not that we don't want to. I'm ware of so many great Freeware titles, it's just they are that -- free. We have limited man power, and not everyone on staff is keen about reviewing indie titles. What's to say we won't do a feature on freeware titles? Just because we don't plan on reviewing them or making them a part of main coverage does not mean they will fully be ignored. It's more of, I know for me personally, I'd rather focus on retail releases that I believe have something interesting about them. When I pick something to review for the indie scene, I usually look for something unique that I think will intrigue our readers. We are planning to do another Indie Pow-Wow as well in the future, so believe me, the indies are going to get their coverage.

As for RPGMaker, who's to say they're won't be that many games to cover? We're being selective about what we're choosing to cover here, and RPGMaker games aren't going to be excluded regardless of recycled graphics. Just bear in mind we aren't going to review every single one of them. There's just too many of them, so they need to have something that stands out. I mean, look at Deadly Sin 2, it had RPGMaker graphics for the environments, and full artwork for the battle sequences. That's different to me, hence why it got covered.

Like Ocelot said, it really boils down to time and man-power, something which we don't have considering there's still a lot of mainstream releases to deal with as well. Although I'm really the only indie reviewer, I still have to maintain my quota for regular releases as well. :/