Thread: Tales of Xillia Provides Butlers and Conversation

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Tales of Xillia Provides Butlers and Conversation

The Tales series joins Wild ARMS and Valkyria Chronicles in the ranks of RPG franchises that feature battle-ready butlers. Sometimes you have to wonder if there is an anything good butler can't do.

[Link]

My most wanted console JRPG alongside Versus XIII. I think their skit solution could be good if it is handled like the Dragon Age games. I like the idea of having the ability to use all your characters a la Final Fantasy X. So far everything sounds good.

Yep I saw that today and it's pretty neat in the way that your gameplay won't be interrupted so often and yet you can hear what they have to say. I found some screenshots of the new skits in action.

http://scrawlfx.com/2011/04/tales-of...party-swapping

I want this game more with each new released information.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

I always love older characters, whether it's a battle hardened old soldier, or the kung-Fu old timer. I would love to see more old ladies as playable party members though.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    A JRPG borrowing from WRPGs and getting it right? It's a miracle! Definitely looking forward to those "short chats." Can't imagine they wouldn't be voiced, I don't know how they'd do them otherwise.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I always love older characters, whether it's a battle hardened old soldier, or the kung-Fu old timer. I would love to see more old ladies as playable party members though.
    Yes, Wynne owned in Dragon Age: Origins. Especially whenever she'd decide to squick out Alistair.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Well the Tales have already 2 of the 3 skits. The only difference with the battle skits is that the subtitles and portraits are shown when they talk in battle unless they talk plot related conversations in battle. I'm interested in the mini skits where everyone talk and you move and open chests etc.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Resident Cannibal Tequila Mockingbird's Avatar
    Yay, this looks even more exciting! Also does anyone remember Gre Nade from Evolution Worlds?.. The cool butler with the rifle.

Battle butlers are badass, barring bad backs or boring banter about being bluenosed.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Ok let's recap: We have a Martial Artist, A woman with a rapier that may be the battlemage, A girl who looks shy that could be a healer, A gunner with sword&gun, A goth loli who may have her unique spells and a Butler with a rapier. That's 6 characters by now... Is there space for more?

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Ok let's recap: We have a Martial Artist, A woman with a rapier that may be the battlemage, A girl who looks shy that could be a healer, A gunner with sword&gun, A goth loli who may have her unique spells and a Butler with a rapier. That's 6 characters by now... Is there space for more?
    Tales games typically have 8 characters, so yea, probably. Occasionally they'll have 6, but it's rare.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    We're missing the typical Tales heavy swordsman, no?

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

There's 2 sword users but they're rapiers.... Who will use Demon Fang? (aka Majinken)

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Yes, Wynne owned in Dragon Age: Origins. Especially whenever she'd decide to squick out Alistair.
    OMG...YES! Loved Wynne, though I don't really consider her to be an 'old lady', she's sort of GILF-ish. I mean something more like a hag, like Flemeth, or some saucy old woman.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    GILF
    I don't think I'll ever be happy again now I know this is a thing.

New screens! *drools*
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428718

Looks like regular skits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nim View Post
    New screens! *drools*
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428718

Looks like regular skits.
    You can see all three types in those screens, actually. The one in battle with the character portrait on the top left corner is probably the battle skit, the one during exploration with a character portrait in the bottom left corner accompanied by some text must be the short chats or whatever they're calling them, and then of course there's the extended skits we all know and love.

Definitely like where that's going, the skits always have some of the funnest character interactions in them, more is definitely a good thing.
    Follow me on Twitter

Blond guy will be a playable or just a NPC? humm.....