Thread: Impression - Bastion

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Impression - Bastion

If you think that "indie game" is synonymous with "low production values," Bastion would like to have a word with you. Read on for our first impression* of this promising action RPG.

[BANG!]

*With my sincere apologies for the length of time it took to write/post it.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 04-21-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Definitely keeping this on the radar.

I played this at GDC this year.

It is probably gonna be the game of the year.

Just for the record.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I am absolutely excited to give this game a whirl, and your impression really sealed the deal for one. Can't wait and I'm totally digging the art style.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    All I know is that I couldn't get anywhere near the booth for this game since the demo seemed to go on for like 15-30 minutes and they only had 5 units

Game looks gorgeous but I'm still not sold on the narrator. As an onlooker it seemed like something that will get annoying very fast, but I'm hoping that it'll be less an issue when I'm focusing on smashing things.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

As I wrote in the preview, I thought they did a good job not making the narrator too omnipresent. He doesn't remark on everything you do, just the more important things. The action scenes in the game are left to breathe on their own, so for instance when I was racing ahead of the crumbling platforms, he wasn't repeatedly commenting on how I better hurry up. He introduced the segment, then left me to run for my life.

I've been following this title since its first major reveal in September. I hate nitpicking another indie RPG, and though I'm insanely jealous (and I've mentioned before in another thread, ultra motivated) by the art quality of the game there's just something about the gameplay I've seen that hasn't grabbed me. It did seem a bit slow in the trailer as well, but then Secret of Mana is not the fastest game either so that probably doesn't mean much.

Something about that ever-present background image far below the actual map is distracting, too, especially how easily it blends with certain parts of the playable map.

Otherwise I hope it has a bit more depth outside of the narrator; one reason I typically don't play action RPGs is because mostly they stay entirely combat-oriented with minimal other gameplay options (aside from the usual looting/equipment min-maxing). It's still my favorite genre, but only when it's otherwise indistinguishable from a turn-based RPG.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

My suggestion would be to play it before worrying too much about that stuff. I hope Supergiant will be releasing a demo, because the game really does feel different when played as opposed to when watching trailers, etc. I doubt it will be a super-story-heavy game, though, so if that's your issue it might not be the game for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
    Something about that ever-present background image far below the actual map is distracting, too, especially how easily it blends with certain parts of the playable map.
    It works way, way better in motion. Trust me. When I was playing it, I didn't have any trouble with keeping track of what was foreground and background.

Otherwise I hope it has a bit more depth outside of the narrator; one reason I typically don't play action RPGs is because mostly they stay entirely combat-oriented with minimal other gameplay options (aside from the usual looting/equipment min-maxing). It's still my favorite genre, but only when it's otherwise indistinguishable from a turn-based RPG.
    Nope, the narrator is the only voice or "text" you hear in the entire game (and the game is utterly textless aside from closed captions for the deaf). Again, it's something you need to experience for yourself - it's a game that plays much better than it's described, at times. What I played of it delighted me in ways I didn't know I could be delighted.

I better hurry and fix my PS3 next week. My PC is ok at least.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

The trailer I am referring to seeing is also reduced resolution, so I'm sure at full res (judging from the screenshots with the impression) it's also much more crisp in motion. Just had given me a muted impression here on the sidelines but you both have actually seen it firsthand so I am trusting your respective judgments.

But yeah I personally do prefer more characterization and interactions which is lacking often in these kinds of games, but I'm willing to just push that aside and see if Bastion's atmosphere is as well thought out as it sounds which will more than make up for that aspect. The narrator wouldn't be there if there wasn't some story worth telling, right?
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    As I wrote in the preview, I thought they did a good job not making the narrator too omnipresent. He doesn't remark on everything you do, just the more important things. The action scenes in the game are left to breathe on their own, so for instance when I was racing ahead of the crumbling platforms, he wasn't repeatedly commenting on how I better hurry up. He introduced the segment, then left me to run for my life.
    Good to know. I think this is ultimately going to come down to playing a demo for me. I had similar concerns about an overly present narrative in Bulletstorm and I think that game's demo did a decent job assuaging my fears.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!