Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales of Abyss 3D Coming to the US

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Tales of Abyss 3D Coming to the US

The title says it all. All of you Tales fans out there can feel free to put down your torches and pitchforks until Tales of Xillia becomes overdue for a Western release.

[Link]

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    This is indeed awesome news! I was a tad worried since ports and remakes of Tales games almost never leave Japan, but I guess it's hard to pass up when it's going to be one of the first RPGs on the 3DS, and most of the translation and voice-acting has been done already.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I saw a few tweets today but didn't want to get my hopes up, but now that I see it here I can be excited. Yay. I know a majority like Vesperia or Symphonia, but this is still my favorite in the series.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

This is my favorite RPG ^_^ The character development that goes on with Luke and Asch and all the rest of the cast is just phenomenal. The overall story is awesome, gameplay rocks, and Jade is the best character ever created. Insta win!
    Last edited by Zaku77; 04-27-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    This announcement actually does make me want to raise my pitchfork, though. My greatest fear with Graces (and now this) is that they won't sell to expectation, and poor Xillia will receive the backlash for it. Furthermore, we already got Abyss. I don't mean to hate, but I'd much rather Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, or Destiny 2 over a port of anything.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

I second that. I personally didn't like Abyss. I can't stand idiot heroes like Luke. It breaks my suspension of disbelief. Jade's sarcasm is the only reason I made it through the game.

I'd rather see new localizations. I certainly won't buy this.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Damn...now I have a good reason to buy a 3DS. Personally, I think Jade was my favorite character out of that entire game, and was tied with Guy.

Luke: "Damn these things are annoying!"
    Jade: "Then you should feel right at home!"

No enough for me to re-buy but for all the people who haven't played this game yet this is the definitive version that you should get instead of the PS2 version unless you need to play on a TV.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    This announcement actually does make me want to raise my pitchfork, though. My greatest fear with Graces (and now this) is that they won't sell to expectation, and poor Xillia will receive the backlash for it. Furthermore, we already got Abyss. I don't mean to hate, but I'd much rather Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, or Destiny 2 over a port of anything.
    Wait, Tales fans cry foul that we didn't get a second version of Vesperia, and now cry foul that we get a second version of a different Tales game? Wha?

Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, and Destiny 2 are ancient history at this point, why even bring them up? I don't think I've ever seen another fan base get angry at games being localized. It's coming over to tie in with the manga/anime. It will do fine, being the only big JRPG on the system. It will do fine, and even if it doesn't, sales of a 3DS game will not hurt Xillia's chances one way or another. Relax. Let the Abyss fans enjoy this.

You guys are seriously killing my love of this series
    Last edited by Wheels; 04-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.

I'm fine with not getting a second version of Vesperia. ToV was fine without a loli-pirate. Actually, it would've been fine without Karol too - there's little need for inexplicably young characters in these games. Twelve-year-old in a war-zone? Rita's at about the threshold for that sort of thing.

I'm not much for the idiot-hero bit either. I liked Abyss alright, as I also liked Symphonia, but they tend to be games I like in spite of the grating stupidity of the male lead.

I prefer new releases to remakes, but a decent portable RPG is typically a good thing. I'd prefer to see the newer Tales games come over than a port of Rebirth, etc.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Wait wait wait, people think LUKE was a stupid hero? Hardly, he was actually fairly intelligent for a Tales lead. You have to keep in mind that he was also only seven years old and lived a sheltered life with no contact with the real world. His "stupidity" was ignorance. If you want stupid Tales heroes, look at Lloyd, Stahn, and Reid.

Honestly, this is a shocking announcement. I thought we had no chance of seeing this game, especially since Abyss didn't even do all that well in the US the first time it came around. But I'll take what I can gets. Hopefully they make engine improvements and it runs smoother. Maybe they'll even add voicework for the skits? Here's hoping.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I'm willing to bet most European gamers will be missing out on this great game a second time. Sigh.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Wait wait wait, people think LUKE was a stupid hero? Hardly, he was actually fairly intelligent for a Tales lead. You have to keep in mind that he was also only seven years old and lived a sheltered life with no contact with the real world. His "stupidity" was ignorance. If you want stupid Tales heroes, look at Lloyd, Stahn, and Reid.

Honestly, this is a shocking announcement. I thought we had no chance of seeing this game, especially since Abyss didn't even do all that well in the US the first time it came around. But I'll take what I can gets. Hopefully they make engine improvements and it runs smoother. Maybe they'll even add voicework for the skits? Here's hoping.
    I'm not sure if it's paying him a large compliment to say he's smart for a Tales protagonist. Luke was ignorant, yes, but he was also willfully ignorant. Let's just say I find it preferable for the player avatar to have functional reasoning skills. The dim-witted but <insert secondary cliche here> that charges into the worst possible situation/makes the worst possible choices is just frustrating to play. I get that it's sort of an anime trope, I really do. However, it grates on me when you play a character that you "theoretically" control, but goes full-stupid all the time. It was more enjoyable to play as a protagonist like Yuri that seems to have his wits about him most of the time. IMHO of course.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Wait, Tales fans cry foul that we didn't get a second version of Vesperia, and now cry foul that we get a second version of a different Tales game? Wha?
    I'd link you to the TVTropes page for "unpleasable fanbase", but I don't have the free time to squander in that black hole of time-wasting...

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartakus View Post
    I'm willing to bet most European gamers will be missing out on this great game a second time. Sigh.
    Regioooooon loccccck! *shakes fist*
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, and Destiny 2 are ancient history at this point, why even bring them up? I don't think I've ever seen another fan base get angry at games being localized. It's coming over to tie in with the manga/anime. It will do fine, being the only big JRPG on the system. It will do fine, and even if it doesn't, sales of a 3DS game will not hurt Xillia's chances one way or another. Relax. Let the Abyss fans enjoy this.

You guys are seriously killing my love of this series
    I agree it is honestly getting to the point where I am ashamed to call myself a Tales fan. It has one of the worst fan bases ever... People complained also when Graces localization was announced because Vesperia PS3 wasn't announced. Be grateful we are even getting Tales games PERIOD. As Wheels mentioned would people be complaining if this was Vesperia PS3? Most likely. Because it wasn't Xillia, Hearts, Rebirth, etc. the later being again as Wheels mentioned ancient history now. The tales fanbase needs to just grow up and be thankful we are even getting this game.

And anyone know if Namco/Bandai is localizing or if they handed it over to Nintendo?
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!

If they add voices to the skits I'd seriously think about picking it up even though I already own the PS2 version. It's been a while since I played it.

Of course, I'd need to buy a 3DS first...hmm.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    If they add voices to the skits I'd seriously think about picking it up even though I already own the PS2 version. It's been a while since I played it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfortunates View Post
    And anyone know if Namco/Bandai is localizing or if they handed it over to Nintendo?
    Unless they decide to re-record voices to match the anime (if the voice cast is different), I'd assume they would use the localization from the PS2 version, which would also mean no voices for the skits. I wonder if they can even fit all of the voices in the game, I'm not sure how much space a 3DS cart holds.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Unless they decide to re-record voices to match the anime (if the voice cast is different), I'd assume they would use the localization from the PS2 version, which would also mean no voices for the skits. I wonder if they can even fit all of the voices in the game, I'm not sure how much space a 3DS cart holds.
    3DS carts are reportedly quite large - for instance, the 3DS port of Devil Survivor is going to be fully voiced, and Atlus USA has gone on record saying that it's the most voicework they've ever recorded for a single game before. Considering how much voicework is in Persona 3 and Persona 4, that's quite impressive. And since the localization is essentially done anyways, Namco may just throw a bone to their fans and voice the skits, since they don't have to re-voice the main game. That is, if they can get the original cast back, though I doubt that'd be too much of a problem.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I guess what I really meant by that was if Namco/Bandai or Nintendo would be publishing the game in the States, but I hope they voice the skits since as omegabyte pointed out the 3DS carts are quite large.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!