Thread: Mukashibanashi - Japandemonium for April 28th, 2011

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Mukashibanashi - Japandemonium for April 28th, 2011

What's this? An early column? Tomorrow is Showa Day, and I won't have the time to update then.

It's story time

Ah Book-Off, I've found some gems buried in there myself. Still got my membership card thingy in my wallet (Next to my Yodobashi Camera card)

I remember finding a really cheap copy of Super Robot Taisen MX there, which for some reason, I bought over the copy of 2nd Super Robot Taisen Alpha sitting next to it. I also found the special edition version of the FFVIII OST, and a cheap copy of the FFVII OST as well. My copy of Meteos (DS) might be a Book-Off one as well, but I can't clearly remember where I bought that.

If you ever find yourself in Japan, have a look in there.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    At this point, I have bought an entire year's backlog of obscure PSX titles just from those stores

Makes me wish I had a Wii, almost.
    You should get one, if only for Opoona! (:

...I'm actually dead serious. Despite what reviews may say, Opoona is one of my favorite games of the last 10 years. It's unique, it's engrossing, and it has more heart than almost anything else I've seen since the PS2 launch era. It's a pity it got so heavily ignored, and was reviewed so poorly.

ALSO... Book-Off is amazing. There's actually an American offshoot of it, too, which opened recently in the Del Amo Fashion Center mall in southern California. Same principle as Japanese Book-Off, but with American goods. Which may not sound as exciting, but if you're an anime fan, you'll want to go there -- the rare, obscure DVD titles regularly found on the shelves there are just incredible. Box set of the original Bubblegum Crisis? Check. Clockwork Fighters: Hiwou's War? Check. Hyper Police? Strange Dawn? Risky/Safety? Check, check and check!

Love that place. (:

-Tom

Looking at the Famitsu list...it is 100% handheld. Bummer.