Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlus Announces Growlanser IV: Overload

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Atlus Announces Growlanser IV: Overload

Atlus, when will you give us Growlanser VII? Why must you insist on more ports? Question is, will we see this one outside of Japan? Tune in at eleven.

Story

DO WANT.

Funny story. When I initially attempted to import it, I accidentally ordered the visual novel instead. I have since corrected that issue. I didn't even know there WAS a Growlanser IV visual novel until I got it and was like.."the heck is this?"

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Suzaku, your story makes me LOL. I love you sweetpea. :P

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Signs on Growlanser IV being localized are murky. Lack of Growlanser I seems indicative of a low priority for North American companies. Importing on a region-free system beats the annoyance of making the PS2 version work on a non-Japanese system, most likely.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    We already got a thread up on the Atlus USA forums asking for it, or at least a bundle pack containing it and Growlanser 1 PSP. Odds of us getting it are slim, but hell, you gotta try.

Any word on which internal members are working on the port? Before it was dissolved into Atlus, Career Soft handled the Growlanser I PSP port. It'd great if Shinjiro Takada and Fuuma Yatou were involved with this.

I'm surprised at this news... seems Atlus still believes this franchise has some opportunity left in it. A GVII would be great. A Langrisser revival would be better.

Then again, since key members way back from Masaya in the early 90s remain at large internally within Atlus, perhaps it's time for yet a new IP.

Another one of those franchises with a sad, sad localization history. I've got two Growlanser releases on the PS2, Generations and Heritage of War, and AFAIK those are the only localized ones?
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    A Langrisser revival would be better.
    Like this one?

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Oh, Come on! Why aren't any of these PSP RPGs getting simultaneously released on PS3? I would love to play this and Trails in the Sky, too.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Another one of those franchises with a sad, sad localization history. I've got two Growlanser releases on the PS2, Generations and Heritage of War, and AFAIK those are the only localized ones?
    You are correct, sir. The original game came out on PS1 and saw a PSP re-release two years ago. No localization. The second and third games were included by Working Designs in Growlanser Generations (which I presume you either imported, or it saw release from some other company in Europe, since Working Designs sure didn't do releases outside North America). The fourth game, the one ostensibly the subject of discussion here, did not see localization. The fifth game did, as Heritage of War. The sixth game did not, and barring a PSP reissue/remake like this it never will since the PS2 is pretty well dead by now.
    Last edited by JuMeSyn; 04-29-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    Oh, Come on! Why aren't any of these PSP RPGs getting simultaneously released on PS3? I would love to play this and Trails in the Sky, too.
    You know, this would be pretty cool, even for those who already have a PSP. I'd love to be able to fire up a PSP game on PS3, copy over a save, and then continue that game on the road on PSP. Not to mention it would open up sales of these games on PSN to a whole new set of customers.

My hopes of the first PSP Growlanser port getting localized were dashed so I'm not expecting anything for this one.

I'd love to see this localized, as it is reputedly the best game in the series.

But I'm not getting my hopes up. Apparently Growlanser 5's relatively piss poor sales was enough for them to write it off in the US, which is a shame since that was a really bad game and deserved to fail.

I have both the US Growlanser LEs. Are they worth playing?
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaku77 View Post
    I have both the US Growlanser LEs. Are they worth playing?
    Growlanser 2 is definitely worth playing. It's fun and I always enjoy tactics games that don't just copy and paste TO/FFT's style. 3 I didn't enjoy as much. Battles always ended up with everyone in a mob in the center of the field and I thoughtless hit attack over and over, and the story was uninteresting and linear, unlike 2.

I can't comment on 5. It's stuck in my fairly small PS2 backlog that I've barely touched since I went curren gen in 2008.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

2 and 3 are both rather good.

5 is absolute dreck, they could not have chosen a worse title in the series to localize, and its abject awfulness probably went a long way toward sabotaging any minute hope we had of seeing any of the rest of the series in English.

Growlanser 5 isn't quite so terrible as its apparent reputation. Actually, it isn't terrible at all. Relative to other Growlanser titles, it's definitely a regression; but it's still a fun game with a good story. Regrettably it has one of the most generic game soundtracks I've ever heard.

Refresh my memory but Atlus LIKES us, don't they? I think if they could get the original Langrisser and pack it WITH THIS one, we might actually be able to understand what's going on. I didn't quite know what to do with 2 but 3 was certainly interesting. If there were just a little bit more information on the series as a whole, it might end up being one of the best Strategy/RPG's out there. The only thing that makes me shrug is WHY do they seem to make almost ALL of their games prequels to the one before it? 3 did that for 2 and I think even the others do that to each other so what gives?
    Last edited by reionpremente; 04-30-2011 at 04:43 PM.

As far as I know, Growlanser IV is on it's own. VI is a direct sequel of V, and these two are also on their own. And, as you know, III is a prequel to I and II, II being a direct sequel to I.

III-I-II
    IV
    V-VI

The problem with Langrisser and Growlanser is that even proper marketing would only take them so far. It's a niche genre for a niche audience. The sad thing is, these games--particularly Langrisser--have gameplay that literally no other game has even attempted to copy. But embedded within Langrisser is such inherent genius it's a great wonder it never caught on more vigorously. Growlanser took things down a different, more conventional route--but it's still the same core team, and you can tell. But the shift still wasn't enough.

Career Soft's dissolution was therefore not surprising, but also troublesome. The core team behind Langrisser and Growlanser last developed Devil Survivor for the DS (not sure if they developed DS2). Personally, I'd rather they developed a new IP in the spirit of their former series (Urushihara artwork and all) rather than work on an established franchise.