Page 57 of 215 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 4292

Thread: 33: Zero to Hero Game Thread

  1. #1121
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,112
    (When you say Siegfried can't target all of them, can he still target more than one?)

  2. #1122
    Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,003
    Stars on the ground was simply not something Fidessa could ignore. The girl looked up and out over the road and into the forest like a meercat alerted to a predator, though with a much different disposition.

    The pain in her heart and mind hadn't been replaced by her desire to aid, but rather was fueling it. She couldn't let people down again!

    In one smooth motion she slid off the wagon, not bothering to ask or wait for it to stop. Landing on her feet on the muddy road, she shot off along the trail of golden stars like a squirl, bouncing over the ground at high speed and racing forward as if the muddy road and the bushes and branches of the forest were a perfectly paved pathway towards salvation.

    Not her salvation, of course - she was pretty sure of that, but someone's. Someone who actually _was_ worth saving. Someone who needed her help.

    "Be right back!" she barely remembered to call out before racing into the forest at high speed.

  3. #1123
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    (When you say Siegfried can't target all of them, can he still target more than one?)
    (Yeah, he just can't quite fit all of them in the spell's radius)

  4. #1124
    The Original Playa... Adremmelech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ...from the Himalayas!
    Posts
    4,716
    (Sorry guys. I am outrageously busy. I won't be able to post until Friday.)

  5. #1125
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,112
    Excellent, they had seperated. Siegfried will use the wand to create a flame wall around the two bandits nearest Lester, in an attempt to trap, or at least delay and obscure their line of sight. He then puts the wand away, and makes some sort of loud sound that gives his position away, with out them realising it was delibrate. When the two come to investigate, thats when Lester and Falina do their forest ninja impressions and capture them. Siegfried will draw his shiny new magic sword and help whomever it seems needs the most help. He will try to do non-fatal blows if possible, as his goal is to capture, not kill. However if the life of one of his companions is in dire threat, he will kill. Hopefully if they manage to capture them quickly, they can force the surrender of the other bandits.

  6. #1126
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    SIEGFRIED
    Active Quest: Revenge of the Druid King, Poaching the Poachers

    A ring of fire forms around the two bandits to the left of the campfire. They gasp as the flames erupt around them and lick at their boots, but it's not enough to harm them.

    Siegfried belches as loud as he can. The two bandits free of the flames spin to face his general direction and they point.

    "There! The fool gave way his position."

    "He can't hide from us now!"

    The two bandits caught in the ring of fire move to follow orders, but they immediately stumble away from the edge of the ring. Only two of the bandits are free to seek out Siegfried. They charge out of camp and begin hacking and kicking at any bushes they come across, but they quickly approach Siegfried's position. They don't appear to have spotted him yet.

    A short, slender steel option suddenly appears in the lead bandit's leg (Called Shot Success on 3; -1 HP, tripped). He immediately collapses to the ground and shouts in pain. Falina leaps out from behind a nearby tree and quickly closes the gap between her and the fallen bandit. The bandit's comrade shouts a curse and moves to intercept Falina, but an arrow streaks out of the air and nearly strikes the man in the leg. I say nearly because it passes between his legs and lodges into the ground (Called Shot Failure on 2; negative factor applied because it's a called shot; negates Lester's 1 positive factor for expertise). It's enough to cause the bandit to hesitate, but he quickly resumes his charge on Falina.

    Siegfried activates the Vol'Thorn, the mysterious artifact somehow twisting out of its curled, bracelet form into a slender blade-it looks like bronze-and charges the bandit going for Falina. It's quite a run though and Siegfried can't quite reach them this round.


    In the next round...

    The bandit with a knife in its leg tries to crawl away from Falina, but seeing his comrade swiftly approaching, he reaches for his fallen blade and struggles to his feet. Falina spins to face the second bandit, his hands still red and steaming from the fireball Siegfried unleashed upon him, and is forced to throw herself out of the charging bandit's way. The red-handed bandit stumbles and falls face first into the dirt just as another arrows appears on the ground. Siegfried can hear Lester cursing.

    One of the bandits surrounded by the ring of fire takes a deep breath and throws himself through the flames. He is scorched for his troubles, but he exits the ring (-1 HP). The last bandit, a manly woman, sighs as she consigns herself to the idea of being burnt to exit the damned ring of fire.

    Siegfried still hasn't reached Falina, but he will in the next round.


    In the next round...

    The poacher that has just exited the ring of fire now moves to join his allies, but an arrow suddenly appears in his shoulder (-1 HP). He shouts in pain, but this doesn't slow him down and he keeps running. The woman leaps out of the ring of fire (-1 HP), but she immediately spins to face Lester who is now clearly visible from his spot to the left of the camp.

    The red-handed bandit, who tried to tackle Falina, scrambles to his feet while the other bandit removes the knife from his leg. Falina doesn't give the fallen bandit a chance to turn on her. She leaps on his back and clubs him in the back of the head with both of her daggers (Success on 2 and Failure on 1 for the off-handed; -1 NL) before kicking off. The red-handed bandit stumbles again, but this time he doesn't fall (Success on 3). The knife-legged bandit, although slowed, still manages to get close enough to swing his mace at Falina, but she easily ducks the attack.

    Siegfried can't believe this girl. She looks so small and fragile, and those knives seem more appropriate for shaving or cleaning fingernails, but there she stands with a look of determination in her eye. She reminds Siegfried of her father.

    Now Siegfried reaches the scuffle and he uses his momentum to slam into the red-handed bandit while his back is turned, but Siegfried must have made just enough noise to alert this bandit to his presence because he suddenly spins to face the former noble. Siegfried slams into him, but the bandit is merely thrown back a few steps (Tackle Failure on 1). He gives Siegfried a sinister grin.

    "What is this? Little boys and girls? Fools!"


    *Knife-legged Bandit -1 HP, Slowed
    *Red Hands bandit -2 HP
    *Scorched bandit -2 HP
    *Manly woman -1 HP


    FIDESSA

    QUEST ADDED: Sins of the Father

    Fidessa leaped off the wagon and charged into the forest. It came to an abrupt halt as Fidessa disappeared into the foliage.

    "Where are you going?" George shouted, but Fidessa had already passed out of eyesight.

    Twigs snapped and plants struck her in the face as Fidessa raced through the forest. It was probably not a good idea to charge through a forest in the middle of the night, but even after a hundred yards or so, the elf had not bounced off a tree or tripped into a ravine. The ground is flat and consistent, the trees large and easy to spot even in the darkness. She had a good idea of every plant approaching her and obstacles were few and far between in this forest. After a few more moments, her eyes adjusted to the darkness and the light of the moon was all she needed to see ahead of her. She knows where she is going.

    The trail of light glowed brightly on the ground, like drops of water gleaming in bright sunlight, but they did not produce light. In Fidessa's eyes, they were like pinpricks of light poking out of the ground, but they offered nothing else. They did not help her see the obstacles ahead of her, nor did they sabotage her nightvision. For all accounts and purposes, the trail of light did not actually exist, and yet Fidessa could see them. Well, perhaps stars didn't really exist, but nobody denied their existence, right?

    The nature of the light is not important. It's what they meant. At the end of this trail is a person. A person who is suffering from the weight of their misdeeds. They need help, but what could Fidessa do to help such a person? How did the Great Lady redeem one who has erred so? She was a saint, a miracle worker, and a great healer of the sick. She was a hero, and is now a legend.

    Fidessa is an elf. With a tail.

    She saw the trail of light descending before the ground dipped. She slowed her pace, lest she stumbles into the Great Lady knows what, and carefully watched her steps as she approached the decline. She can hear the sound of running water a short distance ahead. A bubbling brook. The trees opened up in front of her, and as she began to descend, she spotted lamplight in the distance...no, not the distance. Obscured by something nearby. Looking more closely, Fidessa can see somebody sitting beneath an old stone bridge. The bridge itself doesn't look right for this land: it featured hard angles and spike-like turrets for hand rails. It is crafted from stone as black as night, and bits of what appear to be glass forming a gleaming scrollwork in the stone. It is just a footbridge, but still grand for such a humble stream. It is pitted with age though, and covered in moss. A relic of an age long past.

    Fidessa knows a little something about the bridge. She heard many stories in the circus. Bards often sang about a great empire of fatalists. A people so obsessed with death and the inevitable decay of all living things, they worked all of their buildings and monuments into disturbing and intimidating portrayals of how one could possibly die. As the old bard once sang, their bridges gave one the impression of walking across lakes of fire and paths of daggers, and their homes beared an uncanny resemblance to coffins of that era. Ohrinan, they were called...or something like that. This must have been an ancient road. Perhaps there are Ohrinian ruins nearby?

    Fidessa puts the bridge out of her mind for a moment. She watches the stranger beneath the bridge for a moment before approaching. It appears to be a man. He has an axe in one hand. A large sack sits on the ground before him. He is staring at it, axe hanging limp at his side, and has a posture suggesting he is deep in thought.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.

  7. #1127
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,112
    Siegfried is content to let the bamdit mistake his youth for inexperience. He isn't really the bantering kind, like a certain Ninja from another world. He'll try to use the vol'thorn to do non fatal damage on the red-handed bandit. If he can knockout him quickly, he'll help Falina with her bandit.

  8. #1128
    The Original Playa... Adremmelech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ...from the Himalayas!
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    ZACH

    QUEST ADDED: THE WORKSHOP (Progressive)

    **This quest is a Progressive quest meaning it never really ends and it always offers bigger and bigger sub-quests and rewards. The more tasks you do for Egier, the better the workshop becomes, and the bigger the quests and ensuing rewards are. As a spellcasting character, Zach probably doesn't have as much use for mechanical inventions as, say, a thief-type character, but it's still a good jump-off point. Rebuilding the workshop and gaining renown is useful for all classes, and the work pays. If you're never sure what to do, Egier will always have a job waiting for you (full quests, not lame fetch quests).
    Of course, you can always dump Egier and move on.

    Egier rolls his eyes. "Oh, fine! Keep the horse. I can't force you to give up your property for my sake, but if you want to help me, you will need to get me some gold. And we will need a blacksmith willing to create unusual works of metal. See if old Tom is still willing to help. You'll find him by the docks."

    Zach examines the inventions lining the shelves, but he's not quite sure what he is looking at. Most of the contraptions strike him as nothing more than gaudy lumps of metal and wood held together by straps, springs, and wires. There are a few pieces featuring hammers, spikes, scythes, and other tools used as part of the greater invention, and Zach can see value in those pieces, but he can't figure out the rest of it. It's just junk to the young spellcaster. Zach decides to grab a bell-shaped piece of medal bolted to a metal box. He doesn't know what the thing does, but the bell piece is shiny brass bound by a strip of copper. It's easily the most pleasant looking thing on the shelf.

    Stepping onto the crowded streets, Zach passes the seemingly endless line of beer vendors and enters the town's marketplace. It is loaded with stalls gathered under a series of large tents and pavilions, including a few houses. Vendors shout prices and declare discounts from every direction, and people of various races and colours seamlessly mix with the locals. Zach bumps into a tall, athletic man wearying a thick turban and wielding a curious curved blade. He mumbles and apology and bows before running off, but no sooner does he turn around, Zach gets bumped again by a mean looking dwarf carrying a tray loaded with cheese wheels. Zach is jostled quite a bit during his journey through the marketplace, but he eventually finds his way through that maze. He is directed up the street by an older woman selling flowers and soon finds himself surrounded by larger houses on cobbled streets. The streets are much less crowded, and the dress is of noticeably finer cut and quality. He doesn't see any huge manor houses, but this is definitely a wealthier district and is probably a decent place to begin his search.

    To his right, Zach can hear a blacksmith pounding away in his workshop. He also spots a general goods store featuring a heavy studded oak door and stained glass windows. No doubt there is a lot of gold in that place. To Zach's left is the largest house on the block: a two-storied building with a high arching roof and nearly a dozen chimneys. The sound of laughter heard when the doors open, and the swinging sign featuring a couple smiling dwarves carrying mugs of ale, identifies this to be a tavern.
    Zach heads to the general goods shop and purchases some twine (something strong that will not easily break). He attaches it to the Spiderkey and laces it around his neck. He then heads over to the blacksmith. "Good day, sir. How are you on this fine day? I am in need of a light weight, yet sturdy weapon. How much would it cost for you to make me a Rapier?"

  9. #1129
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    ZACH

    The shopkeeper at the general goods shop is willing to just give Zach the twine. The blacksmith is not nearly as charitable.

    "100 gold," the blacksmith said. He eyes Zach with a hint of curiousity, but the former mage doesn't know what to make of it. "I don't need to craft the weapon. I got a bunch in stock already. Look, lad, I know it's tempting to accept a duel from a drunken noble, but drunk or not, the money ain't worth it. A lot of them nobles got nothing better to do all day but practice the sword. No offense lad, but you don't look handy with a blade."


    **Return to Egier if you want to start the Zombie quest
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.

  10. #1130
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    (So sorry about the delay, but every store I've visited this weekend has had some game I've really wanted on sale for like $10 to $20. I bought a bunch of games the last few days. I promise to update normally tomorrow)
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.

  11. #1131
    The Original Playa... Adremmelech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ...from the Himalayas!
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    ZACH

    The shopkeeper at the general goods shop is willing to just give Zach the twine. The blacksmith is not nearly as charitable.

    "100 gold," the blacksmith said. He eyes Zach with a hint of curiousity, but the former mage doesn't know what to make of it. "I don't need to craft the weapon. I got a bunch in stock already. Look, lad, I know it's tempting to accept a duel from a drunken noble, but drunk or not, the money ain't worth it. A lot of them nobles got nothing better to do all day but practice the sword. No offense lad, but you don't look handy with a blade."
    "You assume that my need for a weapon is to facilitate a need to injure someone over money. Duels are beneath me, good sir, but you are correct in your assessment on the lack of expertise in handling a blade. I am also no good in a fist fight. That is why I shall be searching for a teacher. My many...talents can not keep me alive for long. I would like to be able to rely on more than my wit to get me out of sticky situations. Fencing seems like the logical choice for the less muscularly endowed. I shall take a Rapier from your stock, then. By the way, do you know much about the old inventor down the way? Egier? I got this contraption from him and I'm not sure what it does. It looks neat, but I don't want to start a war by accident if I ring the bell. Do people generally like him or do they see him as a bother?"

  12. #1132
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    ZACH

    The blacksmith laughs. "Egier? That old coot? A bother is an understatement. That man is a fool! If it weren't for Lady Catherine, he would have died in a gutter somewhere. His mechanical abilities aren't even an equal to a dwarven apprentice. You seem like a nice lad, so I'll give you a bit of advice: leave the old man. You want to make it in this industry, join up with a good dwarf, or maybe a blacksmith. If you insist on helping Egier, the best way to do that is to put all your efforts into aiding Lady Catherine. That girl has the knack, and the money, for machinery and I'd hate to see her talents lost to politics. She sees something in Egier. I don't know what, but there it is.

    I can see your point, but why not stick with that belt knife? A good knife is light and easily concealed. You can throw it too, or perhaps practise with that crossbow and take down an opponent before they even reach you. I know they're hard to crank, but any old farmer can use one effectively. Use a bow if it's too difficult. Lots of demand for crossbows these days. I'll take it off your hands, if you wish.

    But that is just my opinion. I won't turn down 100 gold. Is that what you want, lad?"


    *Return to Egier to start the Zombie quest.


    SIEGFRIED
    Active Quest: Revenge of the Druid King, Poaching the Poachers

    **For the next few rounds of combat, I'm implementing a rule I've been meaning to test. This seems as good a place as any to try it out. I'll up the reward if this causes the fight to become too difficult.

    Siegfried quickly lashes out at the poacher with the flat of his blade meaning to strike the man in the head, but the poacher side-steps the attack and counters with a more lethal strike. Siegfried just barely turns the blade away with his own (Poacher Attack Success on 3; Siegfried Parry Success on 3). Meanwhile, the knife-legged man attempts to strike at Falina, but she spins out of the way and counters with two well-placed strikes to non-critical areas of the poacher's body (Success on 3 and 2; -2 NL; negative factor from armor negated by two positive factors for being slowed and Falina's expertise with daggers). The scorched bandit now appears, racing into the fray and charging Falina from behind. She somehow picks up on the bandit and quickly dives out of the way and the bandit plows into his ally (Tackle Failure on 1; the other bandit was just in the way). The knife-legged bandit's wound doesn't allow him to resist the tackle and both poachers go down in a heap (-1 NP to slowed poacher).

    Lester manages to get an arrow off before the Manly woman can reach him. This time, he places his arrow very well and strikes the woman directly in the leg (Success on 3, -1 HP and slowed). She falters, but does not fall, and continues to press Lester. The royal scout merely grins and falls back. She can't keep up with him now.


    In the next round...

    Siegfried continues his duel with the red-handed bandit. The man is proving to be a good challenge: another strike from Siegfried is avoided before he dodges a slash intended for him. Falina is quick to attack the two fallen poachers, this time settling for a good ol' kick to the head. She winds up for the kick and delivers a powerful blow to the fallen poacher (Critical Hit! Success on 3; fallen targets can't dodge effectively, so no penalty; -2 NL). The knife-legged bandit passes out wile the scorched bandit scrambles to his feet. He spins to face Falina and slashes at her with his sword, but the girl blocks the blade with her dagger (Parry Success on 3).

    The manly woman struggles to keep up with Lester as he backpeddles. He fires another arrow, this one aimed for a part of the woman not protected by the studded armor. The arrow finds a spot just below her neck (Success on 2; -1 HP; 2 positives beat 1 negative). Seeing herself clearly outmanoeuvered, she goes on the defensive. She raises her blade and carefully watches Lester.


    In the next round...

    Siegfried continues to trade blows with the bandit, him parrying and Siegfried parrying. Falina puts her all into finishing the scorched bandit: she stabs him in the shoulder, then knees him in the groin. The bandit cries out and drops to his knees (Success on 3 and 3; the knee to the groin was more dramatic effect). Lester pops the manly woman with another arrow. She can't deflect it with her blade-it's very difficult to deflect an arrow with a weapon anyway-and finally drops to one knee.

    "I...yield," she mumbles. "If you wanted to kill me, you could have put an arrow through my eyes at any time. I can barely walk as is. I know I'm beaten."

    *Red Hands bandit -2 HP
    *Scorched bandit -4 HP, NL damage
    *Manly woman -4 HP, Slowed


    TIP OF THE PAGE: Opponent too good at Parrying? Try Disarming. You can't parry a disarm attempt. Well, you could, but that just makes it easier to disarm someone, right?
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.

  13. #1133
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,112
    (what rule would that be? Just out of curiosity what games did you pick up?)
    Siegfried feints that he's going for his opponent's right side but instead goes for the disarm option. If he succeeds, he again offers the bandit a chance to surrender. He doesn't think the poachers have much fight in them anyway.

  14. #1134
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    (Light armor treats a character as armored vs. attacks that only deal 1 HP. It's a little unbalancing at low levels though, but much easier to remember than armored vs. light weapons such as knives and arrows. This rule gives light armor much more value than it does now, which is to say, practically nothing at all.
    I picked up Bioshock 2, Divinity 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, Final Fantasy 13, and Halo Anniversary)

    SIEGFRIED
    Active Quest: Revenge of the Druid King, Poaching the Poachers


    Siegfried feints, the poacher takes the bait, and the former noble lashes out at the sword in the poacher's hand. He moves to parry, but Siegfried wanted this. He twists the blade out of the poacher's hand and leaves him defenseless.

    "Do you yield?" Siegfried asked.

    The poacher growls. "To a boy? I'd never hear the end of it."

    The red-handed bandit reaches for a knife at his belt.

    Falina scores the first attack on the scorched bandit, but her first strike is parried, and her second doesn't penetrate the bandit's studded leather armor. Lester is too busy keeping the manly woman cowed.


    In the next round...

    Siegfried strikes at the poacher's belt knife before he can get a good grip on it and knocks it away. The bandit growls again, but he isn't showing any sign of surrendering. Falina narrowly ducks a slash for her head and counters, but she is again thwarted by the armor.


    In the next round...

    The bandit tries to pick up the knife, but Siegfried punches him in the face (-1 NL). Falina parries a stab with her knife and then goes straight for the poacher's head (Called Shot, Success on 3; -1 NL). After another moment of heated sword/knifeplay, Falina finally wins out against the scorched bandit and drops him with a kick to the face. The red-handed bandit takes another punch to the face, and seeing himself flanked, raises his hands.

    "Damn you! Where did you learn to fight like that? Country bumkins know nothing of the sword."

    "What now?" Lester calls out. "We can't just let them go, and we're too far from any stronghold to turn them in."

    Siegfried suddenly gets an odd feeling. He doesn't know how, but he knows Vol'Thorn demands justice.

  15. #1135
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,112
    Siegfried will try to determine how far down the bad road the bandits have gone after first making sure they're all throughly disarmed, checking for concealed weapons. "Listen up. I'm going to ask you some questions. I want truthful answers, and I will know if you're lying. Firstly, why have you all taken this criminal life, and secondly and has anyone of you murdered anybody as a result of your criminal actions?"

  16. #1136
    Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,003
    What was this ominous bridge doing, hiding out in an otherwise beautiful forest. In one go, it's presence made the location seem dark and evil, though the parallel with the tail hiding under her skirts was lost on Fidessa.

    Slowly she approached the man, nervously even, as if the slightest misstep could foul up everything.

    "Hello...?" Fidessa stated softly, looking up at the man with the axe. "Are you alright...?" she wondered unsure. The man seemed deep in thought but not hurt.

    That was good! People not being hurt was a good thing!

    "I mean, not that it looks like you aren't alright, but... I... I just mean..."

    She was pretty sure she wasn't very good at this. She carefully studied the man, keeping a little distance and trying, with a limited degree of success not to make herself look too much out of place. Making a in the middle of a forest was not making that easy.

    "I want to help!" she nodded firmly, being sure of that at least.

  17. #1137
    The Original Playa... Adremmelech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ...from the Himalayas!
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    ZACH

    The blacksmith laughs. "Egier? That old coot? A bother is an understatement. That man is a fool! If it weren't for Lady Catherine, he would have died in a gutter somewhere. His mechanical abilities aren't even an equal to a dwarven apprentice. You seem like a nice lad, so I'll give you a bit of advice: leave the old man. You want to make it in this industry, join up with a good dwarf, or maybe a blacksmith. If you insist on helping Egier, the best way to do that is to put all your efforts into aiding Lady Catherine. That girl has the knack, and the money, for machinery and I'd hate to see her talents lost to politics. She sees something in Egier. I don't know what, but there it is.

    I can see your point, but why not stick with that belt knife? A good knife is light and easily concealed. You can throw it too, or perhaps practise with that crossbow and take down an opponent before they even reach you. I know they're hard to crank, but any old farmer can use one effectively. Use a bow if it's too difficult. Lots of demand for crossbows these days. I'll take it off your hands, if you wish.

    But that is just my opinion. I won't turn down 100 gold. Is that what you want, lad?"


    *Return to Egier to start the Zombie quest.
    (You might not like Bioshock 2 very much. Playing as a Big Daddy is not as awesome as you might think.)

    ((Also, I am in a bit of a rush. My job has kicked into high gear and I didn't have time to do much here so I will just move on to Old Tom and then back to Egier.)

    "I've no plans to lose the knife nor the crossbow. They are very effective weapons, but a knife leaves me vulnerable to grapplers and crossbows have a high chance of missing its target. I figure adding a sword to my armory would even out my weapons of choice."

    After purchasing the Rapier, he makes his way to the docks to find Old Tom.

  18. #1138
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    (Yeah, I wasn't so fond of Bioshock to pay much attention to the sequel, but I can put up with a lot for just $10)

    SIEGFRIED
    Active Quest: Revenge of the Druid King

    POACHING THE POACHERS COMPLETED!

    Falina busies herself with disarming the bandits while Lester leads the manly woman back to the rest of the group.

    The red-handed bandit sniffs when Siegfried asks his questions. He needs to ask his questions a couple times, and Lester needs to add a good kick to the ribs, before the bandit talks.

    "We ain't done nuttin' illegal," the red-handed bandit answers. "Sure, we killed a few deer on the king's land, but how else are we supposed to eat?"

    Lester kicks the bandit again. "Don't give us that! We know you've been bullying local traders and travelers for money."

    Siegfried blinks. That's not true. Lester knows the newly formed bandit group has only harassed the one fur trader, (SMART) but after a moment of thought, Siegfried realizes these mercenaries could have caused all sorts of mischief before Siegfried arrived, and Lester is trying to trick them into confessing to these crimes.

    Lester kicks the bandit again and he yelps in pain. "Fine! All right! We've beeing working this area for months. Ain't no one said a thing about us. They think we're just a group from the valley."

    Lester gives Siegfried a nod, then he spins around and begins searching their camp.

    The bandits laugh at the question of murder.

    "We've been killing for years, boy," the bandit said. "We're mercenaries. It's what we do. And now that there ain't no work, we need to make work for ourselves."

    "He don't look it, but this boy carries himself like a noble," the manly woman said.

    The scorched bandit's eyes open wide. "That means...he must have gold! Sir, you hiring? We're looking for work. We could serve as your personal guard."

    "Shut up!" the red-handed bandit yelled.

    Meanwhile, Lester pulls out a small chest filled with coins from a sack. "I think I found the trader's gold," Lester calls out. He reaches into the pile and pulls out a few handfull of coins. He stuffs them in his coin pouch. "You intend to pay me for the furs you owe? Why, thank you! I'll gladly accept." After a moment of hesitation, Lester scoops out another handfull of gold. "And a finder's fee? How generous!"


    ZACH


    **Okay, but just so you know, Zach is just as bad with a rapier as he is with a knife and crossbow. At least with the crossbow, you can Enhance it and fire bolts while your summoned creatures do their thing.

    "The customer is always right," the blacksmith said as Zach forks over 100 gold pieces. Zach doesn't have much gold left at 81 pieces. Perhaps he should sell those gems Morgan gave him.

    Zach is in a rush (heh), so he quickly makes his way to the docks in search of old Tom's smithy. It doesn't take him long, there aren't many forges near the docks unless you're looking to ship one, and he soon finds himself walking into an odd building with four walls, but no roof. The floor of the smithee is cobbled and covered in scorch marks, and a series of unusual tools line the walls. Zach has never seen a forge like it, nor has he ever seen a smith so greyed and grizzled as this one.

    Old Tom is old. Very old. His head is nearly bald, save for a few wisps of long, white hair, and his fingers are bony. His arms look like thin sticks, and his back is twisted. How the fragile looking man is able to hold a hammer and work the metal is beyond Zach, and yet that's exactly what he is doing right this moment. Zach is even more surprised when the man scowls at the anvil and adjusts its position without so much as a grimace. Zach tried to move an anvil once. He couldn't make it budge an inch.

    Zach calls out to Tom, but the aged smith doesn't answer. It isn't until Zach pokes the man does he look up from his work.

    "What?" the old smith said with a frown. "What do you want? Can't you see I'm busy? Lots of orders to fill, no time to fill them! I've got work to last me until I'm filling a grave, which is say, not that much work, heh. You need something, lad? Speak up! My old ears aren't what they used to be. All I hear these days is 'clang, clang, clang'. Even in my sleep! You will need to speak loud and clear, boy."
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-18-2012 at 02:59 PM.

  19. #1139
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,112
    "I'm not hiring but Deadgrove needs help rebuilding. It's not very glamourous work, but it's important and honest work. Who knows, perhaps you'll find a home there. As long as you all swear an oath to go there and work I'll let you go. Just to remove temptation, I'll be keeping your weapons." Siegfried doesn't think at heart they're bad, just desperate people whom went a little too far. Siegfried makes them swear the oath on the Vol'thorn before letting them go. He tries to make sure they mean the oath.

  20. #1140
    GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,871
    SIEGFRIED
    Active Quest: Revenge of the Druid King

    The scorched bandit perks up at the thought of work in Deadgrove, but the other three mercs glare at Siegfried.

    "Petty village life? Are you nuts?"

    "I left the granary so I could see the world and crush some skulls. I'm not going back now!"

    The red-handed bandit laughs. "You don't honestly expect career soldiers to give up killing so easily, do you? You may know how to use a blade, but you're still just a boy. You clearly don't know much of the world. People don't become mercenaries because of a sense of duty or because they're too lazy to pick-up a new skill. We do it because we enjoy it. Anything else just isn't living. I'd rather die by the sword than die from old age."

    The other bandits nod in agreement.

    "You want to let us go? Go ahead. We'll go to Deadgrove...after a quick visit to our stash in the hills. We'll be right back to fighting and banditry within a day or two. If we get a job, good, but we're not giving up the life we chose to live. I'd rather die."

    Falina shakes her head in confusion. "But...why tell us that? You just condemned yourself! You could have lied and been on your way, but now we have to kill you."

    "A couple months of work is worth dying over? You mad, son?" Lester said.

    "Haven't you been listening to me? We're not afraid of death. We're afraid of a pointless existence. Dying in combat isn't shameful. Sending us off to be...villagers is the true shame!"

    (PERCEPTION Success) The other mercenaries nod in agreement with the red-handed bandit, but Siegfried doesn't think the other mercenaries are as stubborn.


    FIDESSA
    Active Quest: Sins of the Father

    The man leaps to his feet, axe firmly clenched in his hand. At the sight of Fidessa, he visibly relaxes and slowly slumps back into his seat.

    "Oh...I thought...nevermind," the man said as his gaze drifts back to the sack lying on the ground. Fidessa spots a series of wet, dark spots on the sack.

    The man turns his eye on the stream and gazes longingly at it. "What is a girl like you doing out here on an evil night like this?"
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-19-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •