Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 175: "Mile-Stones on Dover Road!"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 175: "Mile-Stones on Dover Road!"

RPGCast - Episode 175: "Mile-Stones on Dover Road!"

PSN is still down and Chris has to turn to old games he had long left behind for solace. But lo, there is hope in the form of Shawn "Lusipurr" Cooper, who returns to bring light and cheer to these dark times. Anyone up for buying a new Sony tablet?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/175

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Mile-Stones on Dover Road!"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You're upset because Sony hasn't said sorry? They've gotten the FBI and DHS to help them get out from under this terrorist assault - and no, that's not an exaggeration - and I'm quite frankly more concerned with Sony being able to get the Network back up and whether DHS and the FBI can catch the bastards responsible for this than I am for Sony not sufficiently prostrating themselves before people who will never forgive them anyway because they're "OMG EVIL CORPORATION WHO SUE INNOCENT HACKER." The only people who are owed anything are PlayStation Plus subscribers, who I imagine will be credited for time lost; the rest of us should hope this ends soon and be good when it comes back up.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

They've already said Plus members currently get no reimbursement; whether that stance will change remains to be seen. Only those subscribing to specific PSN SOE games (notably Free Realms / DCUO PS3) will get any sort of compensation.
    Also, even if it's not "their fault", a sorry doesn't hurt.

It is their fault that they had admittedly ****ty security though.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Completely off topic from the PSN stuff. I have my own acronym for moogle. Manga Obese Otakus Girlish Like Ellen De'Generes
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

Sony had a press conference / press release a couple hours ago that clarified a lot of items. PSN services will start coming up as early as Tuesday; the store itself may take up to June to recover.
    a) Everyone will get a free month of Plus; current subscribers will receive 60 free days. I'm guessing this will kick in with the grand re-opening of the store. Otherwise, it'd be done before anyone could buy anything!
    b) Each region (so, presumably Canada/US, Britan/Netherlands, and Japan -- the five nations specifically mentioned as affected) will get free content, tailored to them specifically. Deets to follow.
    c) Though CC information was not compromised (passwords were), Sony will be offering free credit monitoring to "countries affected" -- again, likely the five mentioned above. No real deets yet.
    d) Hey! They apologized! Good job!
    e) More security is coming. No shocker there.

Just in case anyone was wondering, I was away visiting family in Norwich, it's my Grandfather's 80th birthday today.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Not two minutes into the podcast and I already had a favorite soundbyte: "You need mad bank for lobster cash." Rare are the words with more truth in them than those. Anyway...

I wanted to mention something about voice-acting in games. When FFX came out, I wasn't used to so much voice-acting in RPGs--or games in general, really--but now I think I take it for granted. I'm trying to think of the last RPG I played (that wasn't just a port or re-release) that didn't have voice-acting in it and I'm drawing a blank. Voice-acting used to be a distraction for sure, back when it was less ubiquitous and more often poorly executed, but it's become a staple and with how much games have grown the voice-acting has had to grow with it, to some extent. I wouldn't be nearly as apprehensive about voice-acting in today's RPGs as I would have been ten years ago (HAAA HAAA HAAA--jeez, I think I'd blocked out memory of that scene in FFX, thanks for reviving it!).

And here's another FFX voice-acting memory the podcast stirred up for me...

"Riiide ze shoopuf?

Shoopuf's waiting!"

I liked those little frog guys.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Best video game voice acting clip ever = Kanji's group attack battlecry from Persona 4. "YUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

worst voice overs ever belongs to Chaos Wars for the ps2.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/496/theharv00.png

My candidate for worse voice-acting in an RPG... (keep in mind there are certain infamous games I never played) are the battle voices in the original Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Shucks!

Tear into pieces!

BeHIIIND me!?

...and anything Precis said. "Theeere's Mr. Enemy!" made me laugh instead of cringe, though. Leon was pretty bad too.

Star Ocean: The Second Story was probably the only game I had as a kid/teen that my father couldn't stand to hear me play. I generally played it with no one in earshot...

Edit: Haha, I was looking up battle voices from Star Ocean: The Second Story to confirm my memories of how bad the voices were... Leon actually has "Rome wasn't built in a day, you know" as a quote. He's so learned, he knows history of a planet he's never heard of!
    Last edited by Just Doug; 05-01-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Quote Originally Posted by VonBeardly View Post
    worst voice overs ever belongs to Chaos Wars for the ps2.
    THANK YOU. I spent the whole show trying to remember it. This is the gamestop exclusive game I was talking about. It is soooooo bad.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    As much as I'm loving Arc Rise Fantasia, that easily has the worst voice-acting in a game I've played (though I think the clips I've heard from Chaos Wars and Shining Force III are worse). I am not exaggerating when I say I think the first Baten Kaitos game has better VA, which is another RPG infamous for in voice acting. At least most of the actors in that game could more or less act, and seemed to be native speakers of English. I can't say the same for many of the actors in ARF. What's kind of surreal is that some of the better actors in ARF also played characters in Baten Kaitos (Melodia's Janica Southwick does Luna and Rafunga and Larikush's Greg Dale does Ignacy).

That reminds me; if Legendary Zoltan happens to be reading this: do you take requests? Perhaps you know, or can find out how "Baten Kaitos" is suppose to be pronounced.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 05-01-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

On episode 175, one person contacted the show and admitted he'd been feeling kind of apathetic about RPGs over the last few years. I sympathized. I have been kinda cynical and depressed about RPGs since graduating from college around the end of the Playstation era. It's easy to think that a lot of my old favorite gameplay and graphical styles have become outdated, and that I don't understand or appreciate most current games.

At the same time, I have to admit that it's easy to get caught in a nostalgia filter (to use a term from TVTropes). It's all too easy to forget that my old favorite games have always had many flaws. Not to mention forgetting about all the lousy-to-bad games... in every era, on every system, and in every genre, you're lucky if ten percent of the games are decent. The more choices in media you have, the better your chances are of having more than one excellent game per year, and the less you're going to be bored.

There are some vintage games which I still like in 2011. Just yesterday, I was playing Dragon Warrior 3 on an authentic Gameboy Color, and still enjoying it. At the same time, my attention span isn't what it used to be. I only played it for a few minutes at a time.

So I guess a good thing to think about is "what positive things did classic RPGs offer, and where can those traits be found today?" Maybe they're in high budget console games, but those positive traits could well be found in small budget games and indie games.

I know I've probably missed out on some quality software because I tend to ignore games which seem too bleak, too serious, or not cute. Yeah, I'm kind of a weeaboo...

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm surprised at how recent the games we're talking about are. Have we forgotten how bad the old games' voice work is?

Sol-Feace

Prince of Persia

Exile

Valis III

Say what you will about modern games, but at least companies are trying now.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I think it's because most companies try to put decent acting into games nowadays that really bad examples stand out. When even niche companies like Atlus and XSEED can get half-decent actors for their games, the poor attempts just seem all the more lazy or not well thought-out.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Couldn't agree with Manny more aboutthe parallels between Lost and the Damned and Sons of Anarchy. They were so similar I found it a bit distracting, couldn't help constantly comparing the two.

Although it has nothing to do with gaming I feel I should also mention that the guy who plays Jax on SOA has the best Cali accent I've ever heard coming out the mouth of a Euro.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Well, here's one example of allegedly bad voice acting on the GameCube. Super Mario Sunshine. Alot of people hated the fact that Bowser and Princess Peach talked, apparently they shall always be mutes thanks to that game. Personally I thought the voice acting was fine, peach sounded annoying like usual, and Bowser sounded pretty much how I expected he would. But people really love to hate my favorite game. R.I.P. S.M.S.
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

Hope that the PS4 is not just compatible with PS3 but also PS2, Dream Cast, Playstation, Saturn and PC-Engine (PC-FX too if possible). Why I created this random post? Because just like today that I'm missed Lost Odyssey back in the day I missed Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean and i always wanted to play it. In fact if it is 1 day released on the PSN if the it survives these tribulations I will buy it.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

I'd imagine the problem with such a system wouldn't be the technicality but the legality, sadly.