Thread: Return to New Vegas for the DLC Jackpot

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Return to New Vegas for the DLC Jackpot

Even though it is a giant desert, the landscape of Fallout: New Vegas is a gold-mine of adventure that keeps on giving. On a monthly release schedule, even.

[Link]
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 05-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.

I dunno. I was eagerly awaiting something that increased the level cap, but even after all this time, with the new patches, the game is still an unstable mess. They recently patched a game-destroying bug INTO the game and I can't go near Trading Post 188 without the game crashing. Obsidian doesn't deserve more of my money.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I have not seen any of these issues. I saw more bugs in the original Fallout 3.

I didn't have any problems either until I started climbing north of Lv.15 (apparently where a lot of issues start to happen; consistent with other GameBryo games). That's when things started to get wonky.

Fallout 3's problems were mostly trivial until you got into the DLC (such as the factory's roof disappearing in The Pitt).

And I just learned Divinity 2 used the GameBryo engine. That explains a lot.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I didn't have any problems either until I started climbing north of Lv.15 (apparently where a lot of issues start to happen; consistent with other GameBryo games). That's when things started to get wonky.

Fallout 3's problems were mostly trivial until you got into the DLC (such as the factory's roof disappearing in The Pitt).

And I just learned Divinity 2 used the GameBryo engine. That explains a lot.
    oh man, yes, yes it does. Poor Obsidian, something always seems to go wrong with their games that isn't even their fault. Here's hoping Dungeon Siege 3 will end that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I have not seen any of these issues. I saw more bugs in the original Fallout 3.
    This was my experience as well.

Throughout sixty hours of my first playthrough, I experienced two CTD. And one of those was entirely my fault for installing a mod incorrectly.

In fact, since most of the Fallout 3 performance fixes worked for New Vegas right out of the box, it ran pretty well for me all the way through until the first major patch which made it work absolutely flawlessly for me. 60fps with nary a frame stutter to be seen.

The few minor issues I did run into, which they have fixed since I last played, were companions vanishing into the ether. Something I was mostly able to alleviate with the console. (The only time this didn't work was one point where ED-E would vanish in one of the vaults during a cut scene, and no amount of prodding with the console would bring it back, very strange.)

As to the actual news in question, I still haven't even gotten around to playing the first DLC since they delayed it so long for PC, but the new trio of DLC is sounding pretty cool. In order, the first one sounds like it has the potential to be interesting, the second one sounds interesting just from the short description, and the third sounds awesome.

I'm glad these don't have anything to do with gambling.

I really couldn't care less if they never increased the level cap. I mean seriously, what's the point? So they move the goal posts. You get there in no time and go right back to moaning for a higher level cap, only now you have way more points so your choices meant even less.

Why not just enjoy what you have? It's always been the BethSoft philosophy that no one is great at everything.

Excellent news. Will wait for all the DLC to get released before starting a new playthrough.

I'm looking forward to this, though I haven't booted up the game since their most recent patch (which was a week ago?). Supposedly it rebalanced weapons again, I haven't heard anything else.

Well, they all sound interesting, but..... meh, DLC. Never bothered with three of the FO3 ones, and I've stopped installing Pitt & Broken Steel when I do a replay - they just don't add much (or, in the case of Broken Steel, they screw up lots by upping the level cap and adding those new enemies.)

Plus, I'd have to play FO:NV again, and I just can't bring myself to do a second playthrough. Yeah, the questline/web is more complex than FO3, but the world itself is just so boring and linear.

Personally, never had any major problems with NV, but then I was on the PC. Plenty of CTD's, but I expect that from a Bethsoft game, so....

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, I've learned my lesson about Beth games... I'm just waiting to get the "complete" version of the game for cheaps on Steam a year or so down the line. By then it'll be fully patched up and have all the DLC included.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Hoping the upcoming DLC packs will be as interesting as Dead Money. The gameplay was a bit of a chore at points but I got REALLY into the narrative, atmosphere and "world". It felt about 10x better thought out than most other DLC packs I've played from any other game.

I basically want them to liquify this and inject this directly into my veins because daddy needs his fix.