Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 176: "Ablumination"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 176: "Ablumination"

RPGCast - Episode 176: "Ablumination"

Too Human is back from the dead but PSN hasn't managed to pull that off yet. The Wii successor may be setting itself up for storage related fail, and Bioware is delaying two games into 2012. In the end, at least Play for Japan did well.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/176

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Ablumination"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Rejected alternate titles for this episode include the following:

"The Rt Hon Tub of Lard, MP"
    "L'es Erections"
    "Shaman, not Shaymin"

Edit: Re-listening, and Pokemon just got to the point where they're having cutscenes in Black and White. I'd prefer it to stay out simply because I play with the volume down and they could use the space to make Farfetch'd not suck, but we'll probably see voice acting in Gen 8 or so.

Also, they're coming up with new cries for Pokemon but the old ones still have their cries from Red/Blue.
    Last edited by Shaymin; 05-07-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Since Chris, once more, cocked it up, here's a nice handy list of stuff Megumi Hayashibara has done.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Rei Ayanami, Yui Ikari, Penpen, Unit 01)
    Slayers (Lina Inverse)
    Dragon Ball Z (Blind boy who meets Majin Buu)
    Sorcerer Hunters (Tira Misu)
    As you can see, she's been everywhere since the late 70s/early 80s, and yes, she's Rei.

To put it in perspective, she's everyone in the Pokemon anime by itself, where she plays the role of Musashi (Jessie) as well as half the friggin' Pokemon in the anime, including Ash's Snivy, Bulbasaur, Pidgeotto/Pidgeot, Phanpy, and the clone of Ash's Pikachu in Mewtwo Strikes Back and Mewto Returns. Bulbapedia has a more complete list.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Ok, I'll post my works of genius on the forums, if only I knew how to do it. When I'm sure I'll find out. Thanks for the support, don't worry I'll answer your desperate call to make another novel. Also I'll post the one I made specifically for Lusipurr (something you blokes on RPGCast don't know about). P.S. Fire Emblem PoR stinks, and so do the others. P.S.S You're right Chris. You die faster.
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    It's Wendee Lee that I said has the most roles of any anime/video game voice actor, not Steve Blum (though he's certainly in a lot of places, too).

While I actually like all those ubiquitous voice actors - Crisping Freeman, Wendee Lee, Johnny Yong Bosch, Kari Walgren, Tara Jayne, Stephanie Sheh, Michelle Ruff, Yuri Lowenthal - I do wish that dubbed Japanese video games would not almost always use the Californian actors. How about having Chris Patton, Luci Christian, Shelley Calene-Black, Greg Ayres, Monica Rial, or any of the other Texan anime VAs out there (though Laura Bailey has been in a few games)? Or my home state of New York's own Liza Ortiz, Veronica Taylor, Jamie McGonnigal, Dan Green, or Rachel Lillis (you know, other than some Pokemon games or Super Smash Bros.)? Heck, some of those Canadian VAs aren't too bad, either (Brad Swaile especially).

Also, there are some DS games with a good deal of voice acting. Both Luminous Arc games have quite a bit, most of it good (the first game was kind of narmy, and the second was more natural-sounding). Sands of Destruction has the most voice acting I've heard in a DS game, and not only is it pretty decent, I don't recognize any of the actors. What does get annoying in that game is that there are five second gaps between lines for some reason. Final Fantasy IV has voiced cutscenes, though there is less than the games I mentioned above. Both Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games in the DS have a fair amount of voice acting as well. After that are games that sport occasional full sentences, but mostly have clips rather than full acting, like The World Ends With You, Lunar Knights, Phantasy Star Zero, Knights in the Nightmare, and oddly Disgea DS despite the original PS2 version being fully voiced acted.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 05-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I like James Woods as Hades in Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts voice acting is pretty good. Except genie in KH2, Robin Williams impersonator!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Oh and by the way, if Lethe from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance isn't a catgirl, then what in the world is she?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

You DONT want to know (Put it this way, you know how people thought Birdo was a boy, and how he was a trans- never mind)

Yep, that's a catgirl. Cat ears, check. Cat tail, check. Yep, catgirl.

Thanks for the warm reception in the chat yesterday!

Paws, you mentioned you've been playing through Valkyria Chronicles. I've been replaying it at a leisurely pace myself (New Game+ from original playthrough) in the last couple weeks, I'm at Marberry Shore now. Who are your favorite plot-irrelevant squadmates? I like Wavy, Jane, the Skies of Arcadia characters, and my favorite lancer to use (besides Jann of course) is Audrey, but she's one of the characters you have to unlock so you might not have her yet. She's great though. (*select* "Ooooh, orders from the boss!" *potential activate sound* "I'm stronger than I look!" *1-shots a tank*)

Additionally, this time around I'm trying to use people I didn't use much the first playthrough. Ted had warmed the benches all through my first playthrough and man I'm sorry I never actually picked him before now because I get such a kick each time he says "Hi, I'm Ted!" as he shoots someone in the face.

By the way, Valkyria games have their share of ablumination too--Blum voiced Nils and Zaka in VC1 and Helmut in VC2 (who is also one of my favorite scouts to use in VC2). No doubt he'll have at least a bit part in VC3 as well, but still no news even for plans for a release outside Japan. I want to play it so badly I've considered importing it...
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Also, there are some DS games with a good deal of voice acting.
    Suikoden Tierkries has a ton of VA, too. Youneverknowunlessyoutry!
    Last edited by Ocelot; 05-08-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Catguy, not catgirl, he's a trans- you know the rest. That and he's pretty ugly for a catgirl.

Nice boobs for a trap. >.>;

Also voiced by Megumi Hayashibara:

Christina Mackenzie from Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket. Needs to be in SRT more.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4699 View Post
    Catguy, not catgirl, he's a trans- you know the rest. That and he's pretty ugly for a catgirl.
    Yeeeeah, Having played that game, and being familiar with that character im going to have to call BullSh** on that unless you come up with some convincing evidence...
    ive got candy

You have no evidence that he is a she. So I'll call BullSh** on you until YOU come up with some convincing evidence.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    If you look closely at that picture, she has camel toe. That's all the evidence I need.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

As a die-hard Fire Emblem fan, yeah, sorry, Lethe is a woman. And has always been one.

As an admin, stop trolling, now. One more comment on this ludicrous discussion and I will begin to take actions.

P.S.: I mean that to everyone--find a different topic.

Fine, different topic. *Searchs room* Lunar on the PlayStation 1 hates me. There. *Grumble grumble trolling, grumble they'd show me the world they said*

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4699 View Post
    Fine, different topic. *Searchs room* Lunar on the PlayStation 1 hates me. There. *Grumble grumble trolling, grumble they'd show me the world they said*
    Got stuck in Lunar? I keep hearing conflicting things about the game's difficulty--some say its hard, others very easy. I assume the PS1 incarnation is the former?