Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 44 - Ragnarok

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 44 - Ragnarok

The realm of Asgard watches the mortal world, and its Battle Maidens descend to administer the gods' business. Learn why this is unquestionably a good thing for RPG lovers by listening.
    Valkyrie Profile.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I'm apologizing in advance for the quality of my voice. We recorded this while I was ill and on medication. XD

I also apologizes in advance for making a few errors. I'm pretty sure I said "petrified weird soul" as oppose to "purified weird soul." Some VP fan I am. :P

The feed for your podcast isn't working right on itunes.

The one itunes gives http://feeds.feedburner.com/rpgbacktrack is busted.

The proper one http://feeds2.feedburner.com/rpgbacktrack isn't showing any episode after 41

I had to go into the itunes store to manually get episode 44 and it ended up with Rpgbacktrack being listed twice in my podcast list.
    ~Shining Nova~

Ragnarok Online is still my favorite MMORPG after all these years. :3

Yeah, please fix the itunes feed? It was mentioned in the last podcast thread that it was broken, but no one seems to have paid it any heed? Ta!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Hey folks, we're not ignoring the problem with the iTunes feed, we just can't figure out what's broken at the moment, and our resident iTunes expert is out of town. It will be fixed as soon as we're able. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

It seems to finally be working. The culprit: using an ampersand (&) in iTunes is bad news.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Thank you for fixing the feed! Much appreciated
    ~Shining Nova~

Aww, Mike should of ended Phil's speech with "This message will self destruct". That would have worked really well.

Oh well, maybe next time Mike. Next time!

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Sweet Backtrack. That dude who can't swim... His name is Lewellen, not Lewelien. My favorite mage was Nanami. I would give her the sword Dragonbane or Demonbane or something and it made her kick ***. And freaking Lucian with his Shining Bolt! That was game-changing!

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    Sweet Backtrack. That dude who can't swim... His name is Lewellen, not Lewelien. My favorite mage was Nanami. I would give her the sword Dragonbane or Demonbane or something and it made her kick ***. And freaking Lucian with his Shining Bolt! That was game-changing!
    Hehehe, you're talking to the wrong gal, because I can't pronounce any name worth a crap. :P

After completing both Silmeria and Covenant of the Plume, I can say that my stances on both didn't change. Silmeria's ending was a mix of fascinating and bizarre, Covenant of the Plume continued to be a colossal missed opportunity.
    With regard to the first and best game, I probably should've tried beating Surt in the B ending. Ah well.

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Hey everyone. Pretty sure this is my first time commenting on the RPG Backtrack post. I just wanted to say some stuff. I haven't listened to this one yet. As I type this I'm listening to Episode 42. First off, I want to thank you. I once found this podcast, and then I found RPGamer, along with RPGCast. Which, if you've ever seen me before, means that Chris Pervert-Ear is my nemesis. But that's beside the point. Also. Mr.Phil. How dare you insult Maplestory's well deserved popularity? I don't carer if not all accounts are active or not. That doesn't mean that over 70 million accounts aren't! And WoW must have unactive accounts as well. As a Maplestory lover I must disagree fully. I hope that you play Maplestory one day Mr.Phil. And don't listen to Chris Pervert-Ear's horrid opinions of it. Once again thank you for introducing me into RPGamer. This is Maplestory-lovin' Shadow4699 typing off. Ciao! P.S. Are you going to do Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga? That was one of my first RPGs and I have proudly beaten it over 11 times. If you need any info 'bout it I'm your guy. Once again, Ciao!
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

Wow you guys! If you ever want to know what an audience wants in a RPG backtrack. The discussion of Valkyrie Profile 1 is it! I kept wondering how I missed this game, and am so sad to have never been able to play it. Alas I don't have a PSP so I guess the pleasure shall never be mine, but you guys did a great job covering it.

Sam, I was particularly touched and pleased to hear you played this game side by side with your mother. My parents used to watch me play old NES games, but they never cared enough to watch an entire RPG. Though sometimes I would ask my mom for help on puzzles Since you were saying that RPG's don't feature enough strong female leads, I am curious to know which ones, besides those in Valkyrie, you are a big fan of. What did you think of Terra from FFVI? Before RPG's started to include LGBT characters I always played female characters, so I understand your love of a good strong female lead. Keep pointing out the gender stuff in RPG backtracks it definitely made the lengthy podcast fly by.

Absolutely fantastic job RPG backtrack staff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoske View Post
    Wow you guys! If you ever want to know what an audience wants in a RPG backtrack. The discussion of Valkyrie Profile 1 is it! I kept wondering how I missed this game, and am so sad to have never been able to play it. Alas I don't have a PSP so I guess the pleasure shall never be mine, but you guys did a great job covering it.

Sam, I was particularly touched and pleased to hear you played this game side by side with your mother. My parents used to watch me play old NES games, but they never cared enough to watch an entire RPG. Though sometimes I would ask my mom for help on puzzles Since you were saying that RPG's don't feature enough strong female leads, I am curious to know which ones, besides those in Valkyrie, you are a big fan of. What did you think of Terra from FFVI? Before RPG's started to include LGBT characters I always played female characters, so I understand your love of a good strong female lead. Keep pointing out the gender stuff in RPG backtracks it definitely made the lengthy podcast fly by.

Absolutely fantastic job RPG backtrack staff!!!
    First off: *bluuuuush* Thank you very much for the compliments. Honestly, I was looking forward to sharing all my thoughts on the VP series because it's one that I cherish so fondly. I was also to thrilled to be on the cast with Mike and Roy, who also shared an equal amount of love towards a game that really deserved the praise it received. As for my mom, she adored VP as much as I did even if she was a bit of a backseat gamer. When I was younger, some of the deaths I didn't always entirely understand, and I use to talk to her about it and she'd explain to me what some of them meant. As I got older and replayed the game, a lot of what my mother explained to me stuck with me. Even to this day, she still watches me play things, though since she's such a gamer herself, I always give her a hand when she gets stuck.

As for strong female leads, outside of Lenneth, I've always been huge on both Terra and Celes from FFVI, especially considering how they grew into their strengths, which I appreciated a fair bit. I always adored Aya Brea when I was younger. Growing up, I told my mom one year I wanted to dress as Alis from Phantasy Star, and I've always loveloveloved Alys from IV. I'm going to be cosplaying as one of my favourite female characters this weekend (despite her short role), which is Annabelle from Suikoden II (In fact, I adore the majority of female characters in the Suikoden series). There's just way too many to list... oh oh, I love Mitsuru, but I sometimes feel like I'm alone when it comes to my love of her.

I'm sure as we do more Backtracks, there will definitely be more discussion on genre roles, LGBT, strong and weak protagonists. I wish there were more strong female leads like Lenneth, because growing up, strong female leads seemed to surround me, while now they are few and far between.

Thanks so much, and please keep listening!

Tempting as it might be to give every game the same treatment Valkyrie Profile received, don't look for it. I knew Nyx would have a lot to say on the subject, and after playing it I fully endorsed her right to ignore the usual time limit. There is a time limit for a very good reason, however - it seems that many attention spans start to fade if our recordings go too long. Even if that wasn't the case, not every game encourages such thorough dissection of its merits, let alone being held in very high regard by everyone present. Valkyrie Profile is the exception to prove the rule. Don't look for it to happen again anytime soon.

I understand that. Sometimes the length of a podcast is daunting. Especially when RPGbacktrack discusses a game I've never played. In this case, what I enjoyed was mainly the discussion of Valkyrie Profile 1. I got a really good sense of what the game was about, and why it appealed to gamers. That's a lot of the reason I listen, so it was nice to have a game that brought out more of a discussion, than simply explaining what the game was like. While I think it is important to lay a foundation for the game (i.e. discussing the battle system) what mainly interests me is when you guys talk about what you liked about the game, why you liked it, and what aspects, if any, about the game you look for in current games.

That said, I have listened to at least some of each backtrack. So you guys are doing something right. Part of it might be that I've gotten used to what your podcast is like, but I also think a lot of it is that you guys have become better about keeping things going. JCServant (I can never tell if you guys prefer to be called by your handle or your real name) has become a much better host. Lately the games have unfortunately been ones that he is not familiar with, but I love that he keeps people on track. When he comments it never feels forced and overbearing (something I am absolutely sure I would do as a host) so I respect that he has grown in this way.

As for you, Mike/JuMeSyn, I am always glad you are there to keep the balance as a co-host. It's not the most glamorous job, but you and JCServant/Phil work well together. You are missed when you are gone! I have no idea how many listeners you have, but having you guys to listen to while I work-out or do my 4 hour commute is a particular pleasure for me. I especially like hearing about the games I've played, but I enjoy learning about the games I missed along the way.

Keep up the great work you guys! Also...if I'm ever being a bit to analytical/critical, don't hesitate to call me out on it. I understand you are doing this as a labor of love, so it isn't as if you asked for my critique. Just know that you've got a super fan in me!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    As for strong female leads, outside of Lenneth, I've always been huge on both Terra and Celes from FFVI, especially considering how they grew into their strengths, which I appreciated a fair bit. I always adored Aya Brea when I was younger. Growing up, I told my mom one year I wanted to dress as Alis from Phantasy Star, and I've always loveloveloved Alys from IV. I'm going to be cosplaying as one of my favourite female characters this weekend (despite her short role), which is Annabelle from Suikoden II (In fact, I adore the majority of female characters in the Suikoden series). There's just way too many to list... oh oh, I love Mitsuru, but I sometimes feel like I'm alone when it comes to my love of her.

I'm sure as we do more Backtracks, there will definitely be more discussion on genre roles, LGBT, strong and weak protagonists. I wish there were more strong female leads like Lenneth, because growing up, strong female leads seemed to surround me, while now they are few and far between.
    I adored Celes in FFVI (in fact i perfected her so that she had every spell/ability i could give her) and enjoyed Terra's journey. I have to say, out of every RPGBacktrack I could potentially look forward to, I would be on top of the moon for you guys to discuss the Suikoden series. I volunteer for a guest spot if possible! Suikoden was a special series to me. I played through them multiple times (I would always fail to get all 108 on my first play through) and felt that it did a lot of things absolutely right. Annabelle was a fun character in 2. I always thought Suikoden did a good job of making strong women. Of course, it would take forever to list them all. I was particularly partial to Cleo from Suikoden 1.