Thread: Dragon Quest Collection Coming to the Wii in Japan

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Dragon Quest Collection Coming to the Wii in Japan

The common ancestor of all Japanese RPGs turns 25 this year. To celebrate, Square Enix will release the first three Dragon Quests on one Wii disc. Did you know there were Super Famicom remakes of them? Well, you do now.

Story
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 05-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

The SNES remakes were later ported to the Game Boy Color, so those of us outside Japan are probably SOL for this collection.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    The SNES remakes were later ported to the Game Boy Color, so those of us outside Japan are probably SOL for this collection.
    I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. Now that we've seen all the main DQ games, it seems more than likely that we would see it outside of Japan.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

I'm going on the assumption that this is basically ROMs on a disc and they won't go to the trouble of localizing the SNES games for markets where DQ is growing, but not a phenomenon.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Uh, why stop at 3? Why not include DQ4, the last NES one? Seems a little cheap to me.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

Because they just remade DQ 4-6 on the DS and they're all readily available.

Also, there was no Super Famicom remake of IV. Just PS1 and DS. So they'd end up just tossing the NES version on the disc without a companion update. Which they may not want to do.

Consequently, the SFC versions are awesome.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I'm going on the assumption that this is basically ROMs on a disc and they won't go to the trouble of localizing the SNES games for markets where DQ is growing, but not a phenomenon.
    That's the same conclusion Game|Life (Wired's gaming blog) reached as well. They think it's basically the same as the Mario All-Stars collection that shipped late last year: SNES ROMs on a disc. With that in mind, I doubt there's any budget for localization planned unless it sells incredibly well.

I would expect we'd see either iOS ports or the NES versions on the Virtual Console before we see this.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Plus, don't the first three games make up the Loto trilogy? That's probably why they're together. Still, full price for 3 old games with SNES remakes? That sounds like even more of a ripoff than the Super Mario Anniversary Collection. At least do what CAPCOM does with its Megaman Collections and make them complete with goodies and unlockables and stuff.

This collection is supposed to come with another item as well that is supposedly going to be "coveted" by fans.

Good. Now ship them over

Mod Edit: It's too soon for disaster jokes. Too soon. ~ shoptroll
    Last edited by shoptroll; 05-12-2011 at 05:51 AM.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

I don't know as they did the SNES Final Fantasy games to PS1 back in the day and they are just roms but then again FF is more popular. I really hope this makes it because it's really hard to get the GBC ones and even harder to get the Nes ones...or at least really expensive! Those things go for big money on ebay...

Also none of the Dragon Warrior/Dragon quest games are on the Wii virtual console in North America(honestly SE I want 1-4!) so this would make the disk an even more worthy purchase if it crosses the pond than SMB All stars was.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Well, to this I can only say that if they DO bring them over here, that will save them from having to convert them to Virtual Console. These would probably look a lot better than the originals too. ^_^

Even though I have the five games they mentioned above, complete with boxes and manuals. (I am a DQ cultist) nothing on heaven or earth will prevent me from importing this.

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
    Plus, don't the first three games make up the Loto trilogy? That's probably why they're together. Still, full price for 3 old games with SNES remakes? That sounds like even more of a ripoff than the Super Mario Anniversary Collection. At least do what CAPCOM does with its Megaman Collections and make them complete with goodies and unlockables and stuff.
    I agree with you on the Megaman Collections I personally own Zero and original collections. Still not X though. Le Sigh. But I do want to know why people think that Super Mario Anniversary was a ripoff? It was only 30 dollars. Gave you 4 games (not Super Mario World, grr), and a cool booklet with a cd that had 10 songs and 10 sound effects. I thought it was worth it for 30 bucks. Getting the 3 DQ games for full price though, I agree it's definitely a ripoff.
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

While I was really hoping for a Loto trilogy released on the DS in style of 4, 5, and 6, this would be a great alternative. Considering the NES version of III alone will run you over $30 for just the cart and that S-E would actually have to put work into the SNES versions, paying full price would be fine with me. Unfortunately, that S-E would have to do work on the SNES versions probably means it won't see the light of day here. Maybe they'll throw us a bone and release the NES versions on the Virtual Console.

On another note, could this release foreshadow an upcoming announcement on DQ 10?!
    Last edited by Rewind; 05-15-2011 at 12:19 PM.