Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 177: "Stop That Cat"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 177: "Stop That Cat"

RPGCast - Episode 177: "Stop That Cat"

Diablo 3 may be hitting beta this year, WoW may be changing to mini-expansions, and PSN may come up this month. We've got more coverage than just things that always get delayed, though. For example, a new game about the racial tensions between Orcs and Humans.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/177

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Stop That Cat"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm with Anna, quite frankly. CT's an OK game, but not BEST GAME EVAR. 3.5 is about right for that game.

As to what I've been playing, I'm still pushing through the Pokemon White postgame, though I think I've had my fill for now. I'm also replaying Portal 2 on the PC now that PSN's up and I was FINALLY able to validate my PS3 copy. Been also playing through The Witcher, which is an absolutely huge world, fun and depressing little game, though I guess depressing should come as no surprise from an eastern European game.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Is Quin purposely mispronouncing "Deus Ex" in an attempt to get another mp3 from LegendaryZoltan? If not, it's needed.

Anna, I'm a little mystified by some of your comments (not for the first time . . . I've always had trouble pinning down just what kind of games you like based on your rpgcast comments). You say you're interested in Torchlight because of the upcoming MMO, but you praised the original single-player Torchlight to no end. If you genuinely enjoyed that game, you'd probably love Diablo 3.

Just noticed that I can log into PSN. No store yet and I haven't tried online play yet, but hey, I'm logged in.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

XBox Live: Xybec Katta
    PSN: Yeltu
    Steam: Xybec Katta

Quote Originally Posted by Azilis View Post
    Is Quin purposely mispronouncing "Deus Ex" in an attempt to get another mp3 from LegendaryZoltan?
    Maaaaaaaaybe.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I'm with Anna, quite frankly. CT's an OK game, but not BEST GAME EVAR. 3.5 is about right for that game.
    Sssssh, don't tell. Those of us who think Chrono Trigger was merely "good" are quiet gaming heretics, sneaking around in the dark lest they burn us for our beliefs.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Sssssh, don't tell. Those of us who think Chrono Trigger was merely "good" are quiet gaming heretics, sneaking around in the dark lest they burn us for our beliefs.
    You are all heretics for thinking that. Chrono Trigger, just good?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Well I think that Chrono Cross was infinitely better than Chrono Trigger. Final Fantasy 7 Dirge of Cerberus was also a video game master- *can't hold straight face*
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

In actuality, I DO prefer CC to CT. I know there's a few of us on the forums, but we tend to get drowned out rather loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    In actuality, I DO prefer CC to CT. I know there's a few of us on the forums, but we tend to get drowned out rather loudly.
    I like them both equally.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

My jaw is currently on the floor. It still hasn't been fixed. Paws and Kiun, just PLEASE tell me you don't like Dirge of Cerberus. Please. I might have to hang myself.

AshmaDaeva
    After a long time of leeching on your podcast, I decided to register :P

Well, awesome show and I just want to state something right here right now: I hate chrono trigger!

I find it extremely boring :x sorry i'm a heretic \m/

Btw, nyan nyan.

Quote Originally Posted by AshmaDaeva View Post
    Btw, nyan nyan.
    I almost forgot.

Gorgeous, Delicious, Deculture!

You're not the only one.

If I recall, I ended up getting more flack than you did. Maybe you made your point better than I did.

There were 3 games that really resonated with me as a kid - Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Ocarina of Time. That's why I made the remark about choosing between my kids on the podcast.

nya~
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I'm not trying to review CT or make an argument/defense for it, just sharing my own experience/viewpoint.

For me, Chrono Trigger wasn't just a good RPG of its day or a good RPG from my childhood--it was pretty much my introduction to RPGs (the other earliest RPG for me was Earthbound and I borrowed a friend's copy of it for a while, but I encountered Chrono Trigger first). It was the most storyline I'd seen in a videogame until then and everything about it just seemed to speak to me. Even trying to remove the nostalgia-glasses I have to say that, for me, it holds up pretty darn well. The cast is memorable, the music is outstanding, the time travel was fun. (I rarely like time travel as a device in stories/games, but Chrono Trigger is a happy exception, despite the inconsistencies that you can find if you think about it.) That's what I thought and continued to think on my subsequent playthroughs. I've had games I adored fall flat years later when I revisit them, but CT has never been one of those games.

But I must admit that a significant part of my love for the game is in the way it speaks to me in particular, the aesthetics and particular bits and pieces that appeal to me. Tastes, people have them, they vary, etc. I don't go around telling people to read Diamond Age or Anathem because I liked them so much unless I know for sure they're the kind of person that would see what I see in those books. But I would go around telling people about A Song of Ice and Fire (or the HBO adaptation that's started) because I think that it's good enough and has a general enough appeal that any fantasy fan (who isn't too squeamish about some of the content) could appreciate it to some degree. Even people who aren't typically fans of fantasy/medieval era stories. As far as I'm concerned, Chrono Trigger is like the latter case--it's good enough and has a general enough appeal that I would have automatically recommended it to anyone with any interest in playing an RPG at all. There's always the chance they wouldn't care for it, but I think it was at least good enough to be worth the look.

I think most of us can agree on that much.

Nyan.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Personally I think that Chrono Trigger is a great RPG. Nothing less, nothing more. I still have other RPGs I love more than it though. Like M&L SuperStar Saga. Final Fantasy VI, Kingdom Hearts(series even though I'll get punished for that), and Lunar. Definitely Lunar. Nyan. P.S. Do any of you know if RPGamer is going to be covering Terraria? Just wanted to know. Ciao!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4699 View Post
    P.S. Do any of you know if RPGamer is going to be covering Terraria? Just wanted to know. Ciao!
    Terraria is not on our current coverage list, but I'm not averse to covering it if we get a staffer who is interested in taking point. In other words, it's up to the Magic 8 Ball at this point.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    In other words, it's up to the Magic 8 Ball at this point.
    "Ask again later."

Drats!

Nyan.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Great episode!

I had no idea that you guys were into League of Legends! I have been playing since release and would love to start doing some pre-mades with ultra cool people like yourselves, would any of you be intrested? Add me in game my IGN is "Seaban" or send me a PM.

Or

If anyone is interested in playing and/or wants to learn, hit me up the same way and I would be glad to show you the ropes.

[EDIT]

I hope this was the right episode