Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 2 Launch Trailers Evoke Emotion

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

The Witcher 2 Launch Trailers Evoke Emotion

Swordfights, politics, romance, and Chopin go together like witchers and mutagens, don't they? Read on to experience The Witcher 2's launch trailers and learn exactly when the game will be available to play tomorrow.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I wish that I could afford this at the moment. Ah well, it'll still be there in a month or two, and I really should play the first one first. It's just so.....PRETTY.

Hmmm... from the two videos I saw, they looked to be incorrectly labelled. The second one seemed to be more the Pain and Disdain where the first one was more of the "Hope" trailer. There was nothing good about the "Hope" trailer except that Geralt was there... but the atrocities that were being portrayed in it seemed to be more along the lines of 'Pain and disdain'. Maybe it's just me... but they're both pretty dark in nature. I sure hope this game delivers like it promises. I had thought that The Witcher might become a long series, but it looks from the videos like this is going to be the LAST story of Geralt. I sure hope this is not the case.

This looks absolutely excellent!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    The game's unlocked on GOG now, don't know about Steam.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Do you think they'll release this on consoles? They never released the first one on consoles, did they? Hmmm, the outcome looks bleak.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    Do you think they'll release this on consoles? They never released the first one on consoles, did they? Hmmm, the outcome looks bleak.
    It's a possibility, but no guarantees at this point. We'll be sure to report it if there's ever an announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post
    The game's unlocked on GOG now, don't know about Steam.
    I know, I'm up at 4am braving the early morning pollen allergy assault just to finish downloading!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    It's a possibility, but no guarantees at this point. We'll be sure to report it if there's ever an announcement.
    The possibility is significantly better than neutral, as CD Projekt have already signaled their intent to sit down once the game launches and try to assess their ability to port it to console.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    The possibility is significantly better than neutral, as CD Projekt have already signaled their intent to sit down once the game launches and try to assess their ability to port it to console.
    I think their major challenge is finding a company to do a competent port at a price CDP can afford. CDP itself doesn't have console development skills unless it's done a ton of hiring that I've missed, so they're going to have to outsource. Fortunately, they're not interested in getting a half-arsed port out there, so if they do manage to find a company that can meet their standards, the port should be good.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Game's been unlocked on Steam for a little while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I think their major challenge is finding a company to do a competent port at a price CDP can afford. CDP itself doesn't have console development skills unless it's done a ton of hiring that I've missed, so they're going to have to outsource. Fortunately, they're not interested in getting a half-arsed port out there, so if they do manage to find a company that can meet their standards, the port should be good.
    They were very unhappy with the White Wolf port for the original game, so I'm guessing if they do anything it'll be in-house this time. It sounds like the combat system would work fairly well on consoles since it's more firmly in the action-RPG style according to everything I've read.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I think more than anything else, I'm really interested to see how this game does commercially. CDProjeck are ignoring a whole load of conventional wisdom by releasing a DRM-free PC exclusive. It'll be pretty embarrassing if the game flops.

They had over 100,000 pre-orders. I don't think it's going to be a flop sales wise. Not sure if it'll reach Dragon Age levels of sales though.

If Atari is anything like Activision or EA, than it's a safe bet they will push for a multiplatform release of "The Witcher 2"; however, I'm aware a lot of PC devs. tend to have more freedom and better control of their IP's than console devs, and I don't really know the PC side of things. Does Atari have a history of pushing for console ports?

Did Atari actually fund development for TW2? I thought they were just the North American distributor.

Atari has a pretty extensive history with PC exclusive RPGs, but the last big one of those was Neverwinter Nights 2.
    Last edited by Drav; 05-17-2011 at 08:45 PM.

I'll be getting this and a PC that can play it.

I really think they should release these on the consoles too though. They're really limiting Witcher's potential by being PC-only.
    Currently playing:
    Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
    Grand Theft Auto V

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Did Atari actually fund development for TW2? I thought they were just the North American distributor.

Atari has a pretty extensive history with PC exclusive RPGs, but the last big one of those was Neverwinter Nights 2.
    Yeah, Atari is just the NA distributor, so I doubt they'd have the ability to insist on any console ports. Namco Bandai is publishing in Europe, and the digital distro versions of the game are self-published.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    They had over 100,000 pre-orders. I don't think it's going to be a flop sales wise. Not sure if it'll reach Dragon Age levels of sales though.
    Well, that will be utterly impossible without console ports.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Well, that will be utterly impossible without console ports.
    Will it? A number of PC games have outsold DA2's 1 million (let's say 2 million since that figure is old for generosity). Whether or not The Witcher 2 has enough appeal to reach that number is a different matter entirely. If that's the case then console ports might help some.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Will it? A number of PC games have outsold DA2's 1 million (let's say 2 million since that figure is old for generosity). Whether or not The Witcher 2 has enough appeal to reach that number is a different matter entirely. If that's the case then console ports might help some.
    They need to start a viral campaign boasting that The Witcher 2 shows boobs less than 5 minutes into the game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.