Thread: Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Coming to North America

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Coming to North America

Rune Factory fans should get their beach gear ready, as Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is making a splash in North America. Meanwhile, this editor needs to formally announce her marriage to Natsume this year. Dear Natsume: Please take my money. I don't need it.

Story

You have no idea how hard it was to keep this secret

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    You have no idea how hard it was to keep this secret
    I don't doubt it. I'm just so happy it's becoming a reality!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    We've been having fun coming up with new subtitles for this one on staff chat (and by "we," I mean me and Nyx). I prefer Rune Factory: Victor/Victoria Bikini Beach Party. I hope it has quests like Rune Factory 3 did; that added so much to the game.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    It LOOKS right up my alley but what is the gameplay like in this game? Do you know?
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    It LOOKS right up my alley but what is the gameplay like in this game? Do you know?
    As far as the gameplay goes it plays closer to Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii. The biggest mechanic change here is the ability to swap genders, and move through the different island nations and using Ymir (the moving island) to fight sea monsters. That's about as much as has been detailed prior to this announcement.. at least from what I know of. Oh, and bikini fun times!

And no Runey system, thank the great farming-sim gods.

OK. I didn't mention that I don't really know what any Rune Factory game in the series is like. But Ocelot says it's a farming simulator? If that's the case, do any of you like it better or less than Harvest Moon games? A farming simulator sounds fun, though.

It's sort of Torchlight meets Harvest Moon; you have equal parts running a farm and all that entails (crops, animals) with the regular HM fare (relationships, festivals) combined with action-RPG dungeon crawling. The fighting parts are what advance the main storyline, while the friendships/romances fill in the plot details.

It looks interesting.
    I just finished my true HD Final Fantasy... Lost Odyssey.

I do have to wonder, though, why they changed the simple and elegant subtitle "Oceans" to the EXCEPTIONALLY CHEESY subtitle "Tides of Destiny." Seriously, does ANYONE actually think that sounds better? (:

-Tom

They've renamed essentially every Harvest Moon in the last...5+ years? At this point, I'd find it unusual if they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    It's sort of Torchlight meets Harvest Moon; you have equal parts running a farm and all that entails (crops, animals) with the regular HM fare (relationships, festivals) combined with action-RPG dungeon crawling. The fighting parts are what advance the main storyline, while the friendships/romances fill in the plot details.
    What?! Are you playing around with me? That has got to be the coolest freaking game I've ever heard of! How can there only be like five of us in this room acting excited about this game? That's on the list as of RIGHT now!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I don't know about excited, but the game certainlky has piqued my interest. I'll probably want to check out the earlier games in the series first, though.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    What?! Are you playing around with me? That has got to be the coolest freaking game I've ever heard of! How can there only be like five of us in this room acting excited about this game? That's on the list as of RIGHT now!
    Heh heh, if that description alone got you all jazzed, you can go check it out right now. There are three Rune Factory games on the DS and one for the Wii already! Seriously, you should check out Rune Factory 3 on the DS, it's the best portable entry in the series and is a ton of fun.

I would like to play those other Rune Factory games but I only have a PS3. I don't have portable systems. Yeah, this is gonna be sweet. I can't wait to start going out with anime girls in the evening and dungeon crawling in the morning. That's the life for me.