Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 45- Ultimate Power

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 45- Ultimate Power

The world of Britannia holds many surprises, such as TIE fighters and some sympathetic gargoyles. Learn about the land of Lord British and the Avatar with a listen to this episode.
    It's Ultima time.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

iTunes link is broken again I'm afraid

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Noooo, we didn't use any ampersands!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Y'know, one of the fun things about iTunes is that it doesn't immediately alter the RSS feed after I've updated, so I have to wait awhile to see if the change is effective. Should be fixed now, though.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Cool, been waiting for this one. I was surprised to hear that everyone seemed to prefer the earlier games to the fan favourite, VII. I guess it wasn't as original as the earlier games, being a more standard tale of good vs evil compared to the more interesting setups in IV-VI. It also has one of the worst combat systems ever. Still, I thought the writing was a step up from VI, and the vastly improved graphics and music (VI has three BGMs total which looped over and over again in seemingly random order) made a huge difference. I didn't play any of them when they were released though (I didn't own a PC until 1999), so that probably makes a difference.

Incidentally, the fact that these games require DOSBox to run nowdays shouldn't really turn anyone off. It's not like DOSBox is some horribly complicated piece of software that only programmers can wraps their heads around; for 99% of games you can just drag the game executable on top of the DOSBox icon and it will start automatically. Ultima VII has a few issues with DOSBox, but then that's what Exult is for.

I only recall the Ultima series from an old series of NES hint books that did the Ultima IV and V ports. I seem to recall one of them (V?) having a giant glowing skull that if you took it, you were guaranteed to never become the Avatar.

On that day, I learned the concept of Schmuck Bait.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    The Spoony One's retrospective of the series is my only exposure to the Ultima series. They do seem to be rather interesting games.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Incidentally, the fact that these games require DOSBox to run nowdays shouldn't really turn anyone off. It's not like DOSBox is some horribly complicated piece of software that only programmers can wraps their heads around; for 99% of games you can just drag the game executable on top of the DOSBox icon and it will start automatically. Ultima VII has a few issues with DOSBox, but then that's what Exult is for.
    Normally I'm fine using DOSBox, but you don't understand how awful these games were to get running in their original versions. I'm really surprised that they don't give DOSBox much trouble.

Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Shadow4699's Avatar
    Ocelot. I forgot to mention on the last post I made on the last podcast but, I think you are the 2nd best podcast member on the podcast. I'm sorry but Nyx is always going to be my No.1 But you're a VERY close 2nd. I wuv you long time Nyx and Ocelot! Keep up the podcasting!
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!

Aww, thanks Shadow! And I'm okay being numba 2 to Ms. Nyx.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Awww, Ocelot is my numba 1! Oh and maybe she's tied with that Fowl guy.

But awww, thanks Shadow! I'm really flattered!

For my part I only played Ultima 3 and 4, on the Nes and the Sega master system, I did finished them both.
    Ok I did use some trick for the 3rd one, cause it’s was a hard one, like create a lot of character and pool all the money, or staying in lvl 1 and collect all the xp we need for like be lvl 20 or 30, cause it was easy to defeat monster at lvl 1 since new monsters appear depending of your lvl, and at lvl one you have 2 kind of monster that you can defeat with a spell that cost nothing. Even climb a team to lvl 5 to get boat to appear, get one then delete that team and can go on sea with no monster on it with my lvl 1 team!

For Ultima 4, well the Nes one was a very easy mode, you did not have to find the mantra for each shrine, you did not even need to solve the puzzle with all the letter you receive in the each virtue shrine, I think it was easier too with the spell, you did not have to write down all spell to cast them cause you you’ll have like recipe ready to use. The one on Sega master was a lot harder but more fun too!
    You were collecting all characters of all the virtues too! Like if you start as a bard, Iolo was not in your game.

Lot of great memory from both of these games!! Would be fun to play the others!

Well this was kind of hit and miss for you guys, but it was understandable why. Still I would have appreciated maybe just summing up the ones no one played, and relying a little less on Wikipedia. That said, the content about the games you guys played was great. The only Ultima I remember was the one for NES. I mainly remember that you could attack anyone. Since I was about 7 when I played, i tried attacking a towns person and was killed by guards. I don't think I ever made it out of the town before we had to return it from the place we rented it at.

I really liked knowing that the game series was responsible for some things we see in almost every RPG these days. Separate battle screens, shifting perspective on maps, RPG's fascination with space travel. I look forward to hearing about Rune factory. It is not a game I've ever played, but I found the Harvest Moon backtrack interesting (though it ran a little long).

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoske View Post
    Well this was kind of hit and miss for you guys, but it was understandable why. Still I would have appreciated maybe just summing up the ones no one played, and relying a little less on Wikipedia. That said, the content about the games you guys played was great. The only Ultima I remember was the one for NES. I mainly remember that you could attack anyone. Since I was about 7 when I played, i tried attacking a towns person and was killed by guards. I don't think I ever made it out of the town before we had to return it from the place we rented it at.

I really liked knowing that the game series was responsible for some things we see in almost every RPG these days. Separate battle screens, shifting perspective on maps, RPG's fascination with space travel. I look forward to hearing about Rune factory. It is not a game I've ever played, but I found the Harvest Moon backtrack interesting (though it ran a little long).

Keep up the great work!
    Oh god, The Harvest Moon backtrack! May we never have one that long again (even though everyone on that track was able to contribute to each of those games). For those curious, we'll be having our special guest from Scotland back to discuss Rune Factory as well.

The Harvest Moon show is about on the high end of what makes an enjoyable podcast (imo). Now, the Super Robot Wars show...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    The Harvest Moon show is about on the high end of what makes an enjoyable podcast (imo). Now, the Super Robot Wars show...
    Don't remind me of SRT. I date a giant robot nerd, and I had to be one that cast with all my cute little giant robot nerds. Sometimes, it's hard to love giant robots when you only know so many.

Well, Shaymin, you can blame me for the Super Robot Taisen show if you must. Had my throat not become severely parched, we could have gone even longer, as Quin and I had plenty of other things to say in the import corner. Try one for the combat sometime, and see if it surprises you.
    On the ostensible subject of this episode, tempting as it was to include Ultima Online (since Richard Garriott played a large role in its execution), the main series was enough. Online would have led to all the other side games, and this is a pretty big series even without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    I'd like to give an official "My bad" for that one.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Which one was the SRW one? I think I missed it.