Thread: 20 Minutes of Gameplay Footage for Final Fantasy Type-0

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

20 Minutes of Gameplay Footage for Final Fantasy Type-0

Special fan events seem like good places to show off upcoming games. If you've been wondering what Final Fantasy Type-0's gameplay will be like, this 20 minute video should give you a good idea.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

camera looks wonky, like it can't sit still. hopefully it's not as jerky in the final product.

It didn't look too bad. This game looks like it could be great. What stands to be seen is whether it has personality or not. Are the characters all too cool, or can we relate? If it has an engaging story, this could be an excellent game!

That's a big if, but it looks ok.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

I'm a little gunshy of new Square-Enix games these days.

I've been hesitantly looking forward to this one though.

Pretty much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    I'm a little gunshy of new Square-Enix games these days.

I've been hesitantly looking forward to this one though.
    I used to be pretty excited by Versus XIII, but as of now, I'm not so sure.

I thought it looked pretty nice and rather ambitious. I also like how you can see that the battle system is more modified version Crisis Core's ATB Kai. The game is mix a lot of traditional FF elements while doing something new.

I will also echo everyone's hesitant sentiments, FFXIII was a huge slap in the face for me and I don't know if SE still has what it takes to create a classic FF title.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Here's a translated version of the 20 min video:

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFuF3nHZF98
    part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4B8HqUUbfY

Tabata was really very candid and passionate about the game. He bringing together a lot older elements that FF Fans like while still providing something new. Definitely sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Honestly, see him like that made like any other game. While everyone may not like Type-0 at least he putting a lot effort into it.

Why would they create something classic? This isn't the 90s anymore and XIII sold like cheap beer at Oktoberfest.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 05-26-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Keepin' it inoffensive
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

I really want to be excited, but I just can't over a Final Fantasy game anymore. I won't be excited about them until Nomura and Kitase are officially fired from the series.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    I'm actually pretty encouraged by this myself, looks like the type of game I'll enjoy. Can understand people being on the tentative side, my only possible concern at the moment may be the number of characters resulting in them potentially being diluted a bit too much but that's not exactly something that we can tell now. Gameplay does look entertaining at least.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Well, the gameplay does seem to be fluid and quite entertaining, though the camera's a little too "hyperactive" for my taste. And it certainly does look good, but hey, it's Final Fantasy; read: graphics over everything else.

The world seems to be quite large, promising quite a bit of exploration. I'm definitely getting the Balamb Garden vibe, which isn't a bad thing. If they put in an orphanage subplot wherein everybody actually knows everybody else but just forgot about them, then I'll be upset and might end up killing someone in the operating room.

I share Severin's concern over the cast. Very few RPGs manage to provide sufficient character development when they feature a lot of characters.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

Looks playable, but about 4 years too late for me to actually give a ****.

This must be by far the longest a handheld game has ever been in development.
    Last edited by Drav; 05-26-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Watching video now. Looks encouraging, although I can see why they've started removing overworld maps. This one doesn't look terribly eye catching, but that could just be the video resolution. I wonder if they would be better served in future games by having a more stylized/exaggerated world map.

Also, I do not want to see a "Now Loading" screen after a transition effect before a random battle. UMD can go die in a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    This must be by far the longest a handheld game has ever been in development.
    Depends on whether or not you count Mother 3's N64 incarnation
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

From what I've read that's more like a console game, cancelled twice on two different systems, and eventually resurrected as a handheld game.

I guess you could argue that this started life as a mobile game, but I doubt they had to throw everything out and start again like they did with Mother 3.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    I doubt they had to throw everything out and start again like they did with Mother 3.
    If I'm remembering correctly, this game was originally a card based combat system. So yeah, they tossed a good chunk of the mechanics out when they went to PSP.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!