Thread: Preview - Might and Magic: Heroes VI

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Preview - Might and Magic: Heroes VI

One can only imagine the carnage that takes place at the annual Giffin family gatherings. Fortunately this clash of siblings can safely be examined from afar via the upcoming Might and Magic: Heroes VI.

[ Preview ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Whoa. We cover HOMM now? I thought that wasn't deemed RPG enough unlike King's Bounty.

Yay!
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I used my powers of persuasion to get it covered. Plus, it looks like they've got a decent narrative going for this one, and there's a reasonable number of RPG elements in it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Whoa. We cover HOMM now? I thought that wasn't deemed RPG enough unlike King's Bounty.

Yay!
    Kinda surprises me as most of the HOMM games are SRPG's even gonig back to the first
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Plus, it looks like they've got a decent narrative going for this one, and there's a reasonable number of RPG elements in it.
    So King's Bounty rubbed off on them a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Kinda surprises me as most of the HOMM games are SRPG's even gonig back to the first
    I can't answer for coverage decisions made before I joined staff, but we're covering it now.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    We had the conversation when I was playing HoMM 5 and opened a review blog for it. I didn't end up finishing the game, so it became a moot point, but I think Macstorm was going to let me post a review if I wrote one. HoMM is a turnbased strategy RPG with experience levels and customizable skills. You'd have to create HoMM-specific exclusionary reasons for why it doesn't get covered, but Japanese tactics games do.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

I hope this one has a smooth difficulty curve. I found HOMM V to go from beginner-friendly to extreme difficulty in just a few stages. I'll admit I may not be the best player, but I'd at least like adjustable difficulty if we don't get a smooth curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralsu View Post
    I hope this one has a smooth difficulty curve. I found HOMM V to go from beginner-friendly to extreme difficulty in just a few stages. I'll admit I may not be the best player, but I'd at least like adjustable difficulty if we don't get a smooth curve.
    That was my issue with 5, even 3 (missed out on 4) wasn't quite as brutal as 5 was.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

A smooth flow of thought Kaiser's Avatar
    meh the developer isnt nival anymore? meh

i really loved Etherlords 2 and wanted to play Homm V because they developed it, but the fact that VI isnt developed by them anymore saddens me

Apparently Nival and Ubisoft had a difference in opinion over the future of the franchise. Seeing as VI seems to stay true to series tradition, the developer change might have been a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    meh the developer isnt nival anymore? meh

i really loved Etherlords 2 and wanted to play Homm V because they developed it, but the fact that VI isnt developed by them anymore saddens me
    Well the original company that did 1 -3 (maybe 4 don't know) was New World Entertainment. Honestly felt 5 did the series injustice save the city building (which is what I really like)

I still really like the branching dwellings in 4. The way heroes worked was totally exploitable, but the city development was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Well the original company that did 1 -3 (maybe 4 don't know) was New World Entertainment. Honestly felt 5 did the series injustice save the city building (which is what I really like)
    1-4 was New World Computing. Problem with 4 was that they played with the formula too much and they rushed it out the door. Presumably because 3DO was circling the drain at the time.

4 still has an awesome Celtic sounding overworld theme though.

Yesh! I love this series/franchise. As usual the story they are rigging is awfully trite, but Heroes is all about stimulating tactical and strategic gameplay.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    I've never felt HoMM was SRPG, just straight up strategy. I'm still curious why we're covering it now, but I'll live.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell