Thread: Square Enix Shows Off Teaser Trailer for Final Fantasy XIII-2

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Square Enix Shows Off Teaser Trailer for Final Fantasy XIII-2

Will Final Fantasy XIII-2 bring the Final Fantasy series back to the highly vaunted position it once had? Or will it just be something for Sazh to play while getting his next perm? Find out with this new trailer.

Story

Sazh hair is awesome hair. Any game that features it is more awesome by default.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

As long as hairstyles are still defying gravity, you know the art direction is on the right track.

Looks like we get to see more of the Nora/throwaway characters from the first one. And playing as Serah. As the only precedent I have for sequels to main-sequence FF games, I can't help but think of FFX-2 when I see stuff for FFXIII-2. Between how FFX-2 went and how FFXIII went, it does create some apprehension. I want it to be good though. With SE, I find myself saying this a lot: "If they learned from their mistakes, what's coming up could be pretty good." If. Doesn't always happen.

When FFX-2 came out, I actually didn't mind some of the recycling because I already had connection with some of those lesser characters from FFX, and it was actually most of the characters new in FFX-2 that I didn't like at all. For FFXIII-2 I'm not sure I care about Nora or even Serah all that much. What I do hope for, however (and from the short trailer it seems to be true), is that unlike FFX-2, FFXIII-2 shows us new areas as well as allowing us to revisit some old ones (or depending on how you look at it, actually be able to visit in the first place rather than glance at as you run by). That was one of the things I couldn't forgive X-2 for: felt like nearly every environment was ripped straight from X. On the other hand, considering the treatment of towns in XIII, even just being given free wandering of the towns we already saw would be a nice improvement.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll be one of the people to get this. I actually enjoyed XIII for the most part, and the last time SE made a #-2 game, it was a guilty pleasure of mine (job class systems!).
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

After watching the full trailer, it really does seem that Sarah will be the central character.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Eh, considering how the cover logo and even the original press blitz centered around Lightning's return, I imagine that it's split at best. Serah's barely shown in the trailer - especially compared to the new guy.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

That could be because finding Lightning seems to be the goal of Sarah and new guy, and the central mystery of the game. I have no doubt that you will eventually get to play as Lightning, but the trailer casts some doubt on her being the central character. Then again, what do trailers ever really tell us about games? Perhaps its only goal was to get us talking like this?

Hopefully this will be the Final Fantasy that will redeem Final Fantasy back to its days of glory.

(You know before XII and XIII)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I'm sufficiently intrigued that I'll even take a break from all my PSX retroviews for this one. Though I'll also certainly wait a few weeks to see how much the price plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by EurAsianGirl View Post
    Hopefully this will be the Final Fantasy that will redeem Final Fantasy back to its days of glory.

(You know before XII and XIII)
    I don't know whether the series could possibly make a return to FFs glory days; I think the best we can realistically hope for is that it turns out to be a good game. That is what would make me happy.

Crazed Bullet Miser StormofSwords's Avatar
    I don't think it would be possible for FF to be the way it was before either; there are different teams, different engines, and frankly, different needs. I don't think anyone will tell you that they think FFXIII is better than FFVI, but could they really release FFVI as a brand new game today and expect it to succeed? I really don't think so. So yes, the glory days are gone, but I maintain that Square today(Discounting FFXIV, of course...)is still good, and so are their games. Still, here's hoping XIII-2 will include towns, minigames, and a slightly brisker script....
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.