Thread: E3 2011 Day 3 Wrap Up Video

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

E3 2011 Day 3 Wrap Up Video

And now we bring our daily E3 2011 wrap ups to a close with our final video outside of the convention center.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but I think RPGamer should select their spokespeople a little bit better: Chloe (pardon the spelling if it's incorrect) you provide no dynamic to the team, talk very little about the games you played and use terms like "it was fun" far too gratuitously. It makes the videos very awkward to watch and might not be what RPGamer needs when juggernauts like IGN have people like Jessica Chobot. Please find someone that is more in tune with what they are playing so that the reader may relate in some way (we are, after all, hardcore gamers). Not knowing what class you were playing as in the old republic gives me the impression that you do not know enough what you're doing to be giving input about a certain game and loses a ton of credibility.

@Fornogg:

RPGamer does a fine job writing their articles, the video coverage is just an added bonus.
    Who cares if they arent as professional as IGN in front of a camera ?
    Their reviews are far better than anything on IGN, their cast is far more sympathetic and
    I think Chris is a really great host on both the podcast and the video footage.

Hats off to RPGamer for going through the effort of recording this extra coverage for us.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fornoggg View Post
    I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but I think RPGamer should select their spokespeople a little bit better: Chloe (pardon the spelling if it's incorrect) you provide no dynamic to the team, talk very little about the games you played and use terms like "it was fun" far too gratuitously. It makes the videos very awkward to watch and might not be what RPGamer needs when juggernauts like IGN have people like Jessica Chobot. Please find someone that is more in tune with what they are playing so that the reader may relate in some way (we are, after all, hardcore gamers). Not knowing what class you were playing as in the old republic gives me the impression that you do not know enough what you're doing to be giving input about a certain game and loses a ton of credibility.
    These videos are actually a step up from RPGamer's previous video coverage, so personally I'm proud of the team that put them together. RPGamer is an enthusiast site run by volunteer staff members, so while we aim for excellence in RPG reviews and coverage, we're limited in our production values. It'd be rather difficult for us to get a professional spokesperson to work for free.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    These videos are actually a step up from RPGamer's previous video coverage, so personally I'm proud of the team that put them together. RPGamer is an enthusiast site run by volunteer staff members, so while we aim for excellence in RPG reviews and coverage, we're limited in our production values. It'd be rather difficult for us to get a professional spokesperson to work for free.
    Pretty much this. I think they did an amazing job, to be honest. While the video coverage is nowhere near perfect as some areas, it was good enough for me. Besides, I think we all know they shine at the written word.

Yes, Chris does an awesome job, I will grant that. But the idea is to move the website forward and the staff needs to represent RPGamer more professionally. This site hits a fine niche, but after being online for around 10 years, RPGamer hasn't exactly bloomed and blossomed. I am following the site since the 90s, back when the GIA was around; I am just eager to see RPGamer grow to its potential.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fornoggg View Post
    Yes, Chris does an awesome job, I will grant that. But the idea is to move the website forward and the staff needs to represent RPGamer more professionally. This site hits a fine niche, but after being online for around 10 years, RPGamer hasn't exactly bloomed and blossomed. I am following the site since the 90s, back when the GIA was around; I am just eager to see RPGamer grow to its potential.
    Volunteer will never equal professional. Not to mention I'm pretty sure a majority of the staff aren't exactly very comfortable in front of a camera, not that I can blame them. Personally I think they're doing fine. Then again, I'm not very picky at all.

While the first post may have been abrasive, the point isn't entirely invalid. This was our first year with a full-time videographer; normally we're all text with whatever Chris throws together (like the wrap-ups). So a lot of what you're seeing is a little roughshod because we're still bumbling through it. I will say we've looked back at the videos and discussed what we did good and bad so we can use that experience next year.

To address the specific concern, it IS pretty clear not everyone is happy on camera; video wraps ups are faster and simpler to process, which is why we'd been doing them. Podcasts tend to get a touch rambly and take longer to set up / edit, but it's likely we'll return to that format instead next year.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Absolutely, we have no problem with constructive criticism here, but I figured we ought to manage expectations a bit. This site isn't attempting to compete with the likes of IGN... it's privately owned (IGN is corporately owned) and the current business model doesn't allow for paid staff. That said, I'd argue that we've done a good bit of expanding and improvement over the last year, and we're definitely aiming to improve the quality of the things we put out.

Personally, I think we should keep it up with the videos, especially if Fox is on-hand again to process them. The E3 crew could probably just remind everyone that there's going to be video, check in to make sure everyone who is going to be filmed is comfortable with that fact, and suggest that folks who are a bit nervous but want to give it a go take a moment to organize their thoughts on the games they played before the take is rolled.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Personally, I think we should keep it up with the videos.
    I totally agree.
    Keep them coming, its great to see the people you usually listen to on the podcast live.