Thread: First Trailer for The Second Super Robot Taisen OG

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

First Trailer for The Second Super Robot Taisen OG

Banpresto has always been a bastion of great sprite animation, and they are kicking it up a notch for their first foray on the PS3. See what the results look like in this trailer.

[Link]

/gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think I have my GOTY.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Excuse me while I faint. *faints on ground*

I would eat a baby and master the dark arts to have this game in a language I understand. I could really use something for the PS3 that really grabs me after I finish with Disgaea 4. Make it happen! Pleeeeeeease!?

The amazing part about this trailer is that, even though these attacks look fantastic, they are all just the basic attacks. The Alteisen's Revolver Bunker attack at the end steals the show, but it is still the main utility attack of a mech which has several attacks which are stronger and are typically much more visually impressive. I wonder what they have done with the flashy stuff like GRAMXs or Burst Rave if the G-Drive Shoot and Cypher Sword already look that good.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    The amazing part about this trailer is that, even though these attacks look fantastic, they are all just the basic attacks. The Alteisen's Revolver Bunker attack at the end steals the show, but it is still the main utility attack of a mech which has several attacks which are stronger and are typically much more visually impressive. I wonder what they have done with the flashy stuff like GRAMXs or Burst Rave if the G-Drive Shoot and Cypher Sword already look that good.
    The OGs2 version of Akashic Buster or Cosmo Nova shoud be rather interesting.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Can't you hear the drums? SuccessorM's Avatar
    ... I have to admit, I do want this.

We have gotten SRW:OG games in the past, yes? Here's hoping we get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    The OGs2 version of Akashic Buster or Cosmo Nova shoud be rather interesting.
    Still waiting for OG Cybuster to get Ranbu no Tachi

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    So first shots of Compatible Kaiser there.
    And you can see Wildwurger/Wildfalken if you go frame-by-frame from 1:10 - 1:15.

I love the way the backgrounds look most of all.
    They've really stepped the animations up

I actually still prefer the Z animations to what I've seen here, but that isn't to say these aren't great, it's just that Z was incredibly good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    I actually still prefer the Z animations to what I've seen here, but that isn't to say these aren't great, it's just that Z was incredibly good looking.
    I can understand that somewhat. There is a large amount of variation in basic style as far as Super Robot Taisen games go. Some of it is better than others. I like some of the really fast and flashy animations more than long and cumbersome animations, and I'm worried that OGs-2 might follow in the footsteps of OGs in having a few too many animations that are not as good as they should be (such as really basic attacks with really long animations). That said, I hope it follows in the footsteps of OGs with regards to giving us fantastic stuff like KoRyuOh and RyuKoOh's finishers.

Of course, even Z and Z2 are pretty inconsistent. There is some great stuff in there, like anything Gundam 00 related or Shin Mazinger Z-hen stuff, but some of it isn't as good (poor Aquarion for example). Even the main hero of Z2 is tragically saddled with all of my least favorite animation elements (too many sub-attacks chained together, lots of bullets missing, and long lock-on sequences).

Of course, the bar for even the worst stuff in OGs and Z is quite a bit higher than the attacks in many older games, even those on the PS2 like Impact and Alpha 2. It is amazing how much that company has improved over the years compared to some of the honestly painful to watch animations from the SNES and PS1 days (though their 3D stuff still leaves a lot to be desired).

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    I can understand that somewhat. There is a large amount of variation in basic style as far as Super Robot Taisen games go. Some of it is better than others. I like some of the really fast and flashy animations more than long and cumbersome animations, and I'm worried that OGs-2 might follow in the footsteps of OGs in having a few too many animations that are not as good as they should be (such as really basic attacks with really long animations). That said, I hope it follows in the footsteps of OGs with regards to giving us fantastic stuff like KoRyuOh and RyuKoOh's finishers.

Of course, even Z and Z2 are pretty inconsistent. There is some great stuff in there, like anything Gundam 00 related or Shin Mazinger Z-hen stuff, but some of it isn't as good (poor Aquarion for example). Even the main hero of Z2 is tragically saddled with all of my least favorite animation elements (too many sub-attacks chained together, lots of bullets missing, and long lock-on sequences).

Of course, the bar for even the worst stuff in OGs and Z is quite a bit higher than the attacks in many older games, even those on the PS2 like Impact and Alpha 2. It is amazing how much that company has improved over the years compared to some of the honestly painful to watch animations from the SNES and PS1 days (though their 3D stuff still leaves a lot to be desired).
    I was really disappointed by Blaster in Z2 as well

Then again, it had the misfortune of me comparing it to Gunleon in Z

Its... Its like my brain is having multiple orgasms! I need this!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe