Thread: Torchlight II Second Impression - E3 2011

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Torchlight II Second Impression - E3 2011

The crew at Runic Games gave us a rundown of a lot of the new features in Torchlight II. If you want to know more about the new Berserker class, character customization, and more, then be sure to check out this impression.

-Story Link
    Last edited by risingsun; 06-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Hey Manny, did they expand on the Linux architecture comment at all? Did they mean it's in OpenGL or something? Aside from that, I don't get what that could possibly mean to the programming that would actually help get it ported faster.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    Hey Manny, did they expand on the Linux architecture comment at all? Did they mean it's in OpenGL or something? Aside from that, I don't get what that could possibly mean to the programming that would actually help get it ported faster.
    It really was a passing comment about why the port would be easy. Like we are relying more on linux, which is what the mac is built on so it should be easier to port. If that makes sense. I should really just edit that section to make it a bit less fuzzy.
    Last edited by risingsun; 06-21-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    What does DRM stand for or what does DRM-free mean?

I never got to play the first Torchlight but this one sounds really good. You guys have all raved about it on RPGcast before, too. Do you think they'll bring this one to PS3? I hope so. I like the armor. Is this also like Diablo or is it different?
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Hard to say, but honestly unlikely. The reason TL1 was not on PS3 was Microsoft published it for consoles (Sony wasn't interested), and we all know how that story goes.

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    What does DRM stand for or what does DRM-free mean?
    Digital Rights Management. Basically additional software that tries to make sure you're not a pirate.

Is this also like Diablo or is it different?
    Very much like Diablo. The team working on this used to be part of Blizzard North.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Hard to say, but honestly unlikely. The reason TL1 was not on PS3 was Microsoft published it for consoles (Sony wasn't interested), and we all know how that story goes.
    What? How does that story go? Sony thought it wasn't good?

Thanks for answering my questions. Maybe I'll get lucky with Torchlight 2 and I can play it with you guys cross-platform.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    "How the story goes" is when Microsoft buys something, they like to retain exclusivity whenever possible. Sorry I wasn't clear

As for why, hard to say. Both have a pretty stringent approval process which includes some pretty ridiculous tenets like "can't be too similar of a recently released game including other titles in your series" (wtf?). Maybe they just thought it wouldn't make money?

I like the look of some of the screenshots I've been seeing lately. I just wish they would tone down the spell effects a bit from the first game. That's never been an issue for me with any Diablo clone before Torchlight, but the over-the-top spell effects often made it difficult to see what was happening.

NewGame+ would be nice, but I hope it would do more than simply scale up monster levels. It wouldn't have to go as far as Diablo II did in evolving the gameplay as you progressed through the higher difficulty levels, but if it's just a simple feature they tack on without much effort, I'd rather they not do it at all.

Zoltan, if you have a PC that was even half-decent several years ago, I doubt you'd have much trouble running the game. This type of game is meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard, regardless of how well console controls are implemented.